My Second Project.....a Pair of Cornwalls.

angusruler

i bought these cw's from "funk_wrench" here on the Klipsch forum. i think i got a GREAT deal. they were $650.00 plus driving to pick them up, about 45 minutes each way.

my objective was to get them back to the original birch look that they were born with. there were only 3 spots that needed attention, that is, wood filler. the rest of the speaker could just be sanded with my bosch orbital sander. starting with 50 grit, then 80 grit, then 100 grit, 150, and ending with 220.

luckily i didn't have to take off too much of the plywood. the stain put on by a previous owner didn't really go all that deep into the wood.

after sanding i put on 4 coats of semi-gloss polyurethane. the first 2 coats were rubbed on, and the final 2 were brushed on, then brushed with a dry brush to remove any extra poly that needed to come off.

also, i sanded with the 220 grit after each coat dried, to "knock down" any "risen" wood.

before.........

post-47327-13819636592282_thumb.jpg

Oh, BTW, I think the Cornwalls turned out GREAT...

I hope my external-ized TracHorns look as good when I get done. Throats are smooth as a baby's behind, but the external concave surfaces of the sides of the flares are proving more challenging. The tops and bottoms are rather straight and therefore more easy to do. I wanted to put them out on display and they were just too rough and crude for that when I got them. I am going by an art supply place tomorrow to look at finishes and pigments, also considering a transparent black finish over mica flakes in a deep rich red and gold and blue...just decided I have worked so much on civilizing these pieces that I may as well make an outrageous statement, but understated...I could do them neon green, so shock is not the goal...just something only moderately outrageous...I will put them up and they will look different...but they will be pleasant to the touch, even if a little bit arresting to the eye...just like a pretty woman.

When I got them they reminded me of a snaggle-toothed meth queen....but I understand, they were made to go inside a cabinet, not outside...

For a long time I have been thinking about doing my KP 3002's in Koa wood veneer. That will be the next artsy-craftsy venture. What a hobby. I even bought a dadgone sanding machine myself. What is the world coming to? I am currently 62 years old, and I now perfectly understand why I have never done anything like this before.