Deeper Bass From La Scalas

paul32579

Guest Anonymous

I to believe in a sub, i've had one in my system for the last 12 years, for music and movies. La Scala's need a sub for sure, drops off at 50, next to nothing below 45.

No holes required for Music.

NOS Valves VRD Amps will solve the lack of punch issue.

Sub is only required for movies.

I don't think amps make very good equalizers .Before any one has an outburst: I am not including amps that are clearly inadequate to begin with.

Try relocating the speakers nearer to the front wall and the side walls. Warning: This can be a tedious process of trial and error.

BTW, There is no harm in borrowing an inexpensive sub to see if that helps thing out.

Not an outbourst but.

I would rather buy adequate amp that matches the system and does not need an Equalizer.

Equalizer adds too many compents and connectors and distortions into the signal path.

Now the active discussion will start. . .

It's important to realize that no speaker is flat down to its lowest bass spec. By that point it's already down by 3 or 4 dB. It may have started rolling off 30Hz or more above that.

In the same way, the sub's top end rolls off, so if you set the sub's hi-cut to match the speakers' low bass "limit" spec, you'll have a dip where both the main speakers and the sub have low output.

Also, I think the cause of that hump in your LS bass response is partly the room, but mostly the size and shape of the bass horn, and not a resonance, which would tend to reduce the bass output. The La Scala II has stiffer sidewalls, which don't resonate, and its bass output is a bit stronger, although its horn is the same shape and size as the original LS.

Most La Scalas have a hump around 150Hz, so your room is having some influence, possibly combined with the speakers' positions.

Most Bass Guitars go down to around 41 hz. A Bösendorfer Grand Piano down to 21 Hz, most pianos are closer to 40 Hz.

Note that I find the range of bass drums and bass guitars (e.g., Jimmy "Flim" Johnson --bassist for James Taylor, Flim and the BBs) typically are sub-30 Hz recordings.

Carol Rosenberger's Delos recording of "Water Music of the Impressionists" is very impressive (Bösendorfer Imperial). Babatunde Olatunji's "Circle of Drums", and any Billy Cobham, Marcus Miller, Stanley Clarke, etc., etc. recordings are sub-30 Hz. Virtually all pipe organ recordings that I own go below 30 Hz.

My TH subs add a great deal to these recordings--among many others in my collection.

Chris

Chris,

Cool Chart.

Thanks for posting.

For your music sounds like a sub is required.

I do not own or listen to any of those recordings.

Audio Systems Technology, Handbook For Installers States the lowest note on a Standard 88 Key Piano is 27.5 Hz. (Page 77)

Lowest note on my Bass guitar was a 15.4hz B00. But who cares

I remember listening to Enya on some older Klipsch RF-7 or something, then we added the Paradigm servo 15. WOW what a difference. Defintely need the sub. That being said I will still hope to add this mod to my La Scallas so that I can play some music without the sub. But it seems that integration is the key anyways. Get that dialed in and you would never know the sub was there until you turned the sub off.

I'm a newbie, and this is the first time I've pulled a woofer out of La Scales.

Gee whiz, that's an awfully small slot in the plywood that the woofer fits over. Does it allow all the energy of that 15" woofer to pass through easily?

Sorry for the noob question, and I'm sure it's all about air balance from woofer to exit, but horse sense tells me to open up that slot and make a big circular cut-out to let that speaker breathe!

??

Compression, I see. OK, allow me a question even more stupid. If this 15" woofer is compressing air via that slot, wouldn't it make sense to have a fresh air intake? Something with a one-way valve?

The woofer, like all drivers, pushes and pulls the air to produce sound. The narrow slot increases the speed of the air movement and reduces the required travel of the woofer's cone, which reduces distortion.

As for the one-way valve idea, that makes no sense at all. Take a look at this diagram of the sound path in the La Scala bass horn and see if that clarifies anything for you.

post-23736-13819637455514_thumb.jpg

I know this sounds ridiculous, but notice the direction of the arrows that indicate air movement, or sonic wave movement. They're all one way -- OUT.

If air were just moving out, as in exhauting out of the speaker, then you'd need some sort of air intake to let new air in, right?

Obviously, the woofer is just pulsing the same amount of air in and out. How the sound gets out is beyond me. Must just genate a rapid sonic pulse. Why it isn't cancelled by the return stroke of the woofer is quizzling.