looking for advice

kurtberman

I a trying to decide between the RTi-A7 and the RF 82 II floor speakers. I will be using a reciever that is rated at 130 wpc and I have a subwoffer. The RT is rated at 300 watts and the RF is rated at 150 watts. They are both rated in terms of power above my reciever, but should I tend to go with the RF as it is rated at a lower power level closer to my reciever max output to get the most out of the speaker? Next, I see that the RF has a much higher sensitivity rating at 98 db and the RT is rated at 89 db. Is there something that I am missing or is getting the RF a slam dunk?

Kurtberman,

Welcome to the K-l-i-p-s-c-h forum. No caps or bold letters, did not want to be too obvious.[:P]

Seriously, get the RF-82II's. You will put less strain on your receiver due to their higher sensitivity, leaving more clean power to spare. The RF-82II's are a great speaker which will perform like a speaker costing twice as much.(my opinion)

Truthfully, I don't think the Polks will have the presence of the Klipsch nor the dynamics.

I am a Klipsch guy for a reason. You just can't get the amount of performance you get with Klipsch speakers at their price points, new or used.

Bill

• Moderators

Welcome to the forums. Before I switched over to Klipsch, my previous speaker were Polk Audio. I had the RT-800, CS300 and F/X500's. They sounded good but I never was really satisfied with the center channel. I even had gone to a local Polk dealer to listen to their top line, the LSi series but was still unimpressed. Here are pics I took of my polk system when I had them. Gallery

I had the opportunity to purchase a pair of Klipsch CF-2's. These were pretty old but I bought them at a good price. As soon as I hooked them up, I was blown away at the difference. The highs were MUCH more pronounced than the Polks, they were lively and the separation was absolutely stunning. I began to hear things in music that I had not heard before. Very detailed to say the least.

I have nothing to gain by steering you towards Klipsch but I can tell you from my experience, I'll stick with Klipsch. Polk just doesn't compare.

Neither of the model numbers I was considering are Polk audio. Wanna try again?

Polk Audio RTi A7 Speaker from Polk Audio in Speakers

Overview - Online stores - Reviews - Technical specifications - Similar items

Polk Audio RTi A7 Speaker

$395 online

Black, 8.8 in x 17.9 in x 42.1 in, 3-way

The RTi series occupies the "Better" position in Polk's "Good" (Monitor Series), "Better" (RTi Series) and "Best" (LSi Series) freestanding speaker positioning strategy. The RTi products feature all-new drivers and tweeters and striking contemporary cosmetics. All RTi models feature the latest generation Dynamic Balance drivers and tweeters. The bass/midrange drivers used throughout the RTi range use polymer/mineral composite cones. The 1-inch tweeter is a silk/polymer composite dome for smoother response and better detail than the tweeter used in the previous RTi Series. It features a neodymium magnet, low-viscosity ferro-fluid cooling and a heat sink on the back of the magnet for better power handling and reliability. All models feature Polk's patented Power Port technology that reduces turbulence at the mouth of the port. Power Port vastly reduces "chuffing" or "port noise" and provides deeper, more powerful, lower distortion bass than could be achieved with conventional ported or sealed designs of comparable size. The larger floor-standing model RTi A7 uses multiple long-throw 7" woofers to combine the wide dynamic range benefits of a single large woofer with the tight, punchy, accurate bass response of small woofers. Combined with Power Port Plus, these multiple woofers deliver deep high impact bass with speed and accuracy. The RTi models are magnetically shielded to allow safe placement next to televisions or video monitors. All models feature gold plated 5-way binding posts with dual inputs for bi-amplification or bi-wiring. « lessmore »
Try again?[:^)]
Bill

You are absolutely right, both in your comment about my reply and the maker of the RTi. Had a couple of drinks and should have should thought about it more. If you are still willing to talk a out it what do you think about the choice just based upon the variables of my receiver at max output of 130 SPF, the rf at 150 SPF and the RTi at 300 wPc? Just wondering if you think I would automatically get

Ore out of a 150 SPF sprawled since the receiver is around that range or if you think the RTi might be underpowerd with use ofmmy reciever

Most of my experience thus far has been with klipsch, i have already woned several models over the last, almost year or so and have found what i do like and dont like among their own models. Klipsch in my opinion is probably the best price/performance value speakers on the market today. Polk has been around for a while and i have heard some of them as well. I thought they sounded pretty good from what little i heard of them and in that time, it didnt make me go, i need to hear more of these.

I have heard KEF's and i thought they were very clean and detailed, almost fatiguing at higher volumes. Their highs are very crisp in my opinion. I would like to hear more of their lines though just to make sure it wasnt an anomoly.

My dad has some b&w's that are like 30 years old, they sound clean and clear to me but id be interested in some of the newer stuff by them. They are on the more expensive side though.

Def tech to me is like the upgraded and refined bose. They do the intriquite new eclosure types and so on, some pretty kool products and they certainly have their place. I like some of the bookshelfish type models, the towers i could pass on.

I haven't heard any paradigm really but again, another high end quality product that may or may not be worth some of their more hefty price tags.

Hearing is believing, especially in your own home.

Basically, with that all said, i wouldn't say i am 100% biased to klipsch, i feel my inexperience is what limits my power of suggestion and advice that i can accurately dole out to you. I can only tell you what i know and speculate (and tell you i am speculating) on other matters.

As far as the RF-82 II's go, their high sensitivity is a perk. You are using a receiver which means that the power they say you are getting is a lie. Unless you are running them in 2 channel mode on a surround receiver will that power rating actually increase by about 50% a good portion of the time. If all channels are driven, you are actually looking at about a 40-60% power loss. It sucks but thats what happens in most receivers. Well, with the high sensitivity of the rf-82 II's, you use less power to achieve the same volumes and it leaves you with reserve power. You always, if possible, want to have some headroom (extra power) for your speakers to help prevent clipping. Will you necessarily be pushing them to the point of where you need that headroom? I dont know, every speaker is different and everyone's listening tastes are unique. The RF-82 II's (and other like reference models with dual 8" drivers) also have a stellar bass extensions. I run my rf-5's with no sub and they produce enough bass and have that extension on their own that i don't need a sub. Do they replace the function of a sub? No way, nothing can replace the specficied use of sub, its made to handle the lows. Full range speakers are designed to do full range, catch my drift? I am very pleased with my rf-5's and at the price the 82's are going for, you can get a pair from klipsch for $1500 from their website which isnt too shabby of a deal.

As for those polks, in the end it really depends on what you hear best. We can't tell you what will sound best to you unless you can do a comparison side by side. What i can tell you is that klipsch's quality is hands down fantastic when it comes to their reference and synergy series speakers. Barring that, people are still listening to cornwalls, la scalas, klipschorns etc from the 50's-60's-70's.

Hands down though, i feel klipsch is a better quality product than polk, i would rather choose from b @ w, paradigm, KEF or klipsch or test out an internet audio company like emotiva, axiom, NHT etc (another one i cant remember that iw ould def try, ugg brainfart!)