premium power cord, does it really matter?

smokarz

so i got my first separates setup, and it got me thinking. do i need to get better power cord? so what's the verdict? does it REALLY make a difference?

also note that i am not going to spend $100+ on the cord. if it's something like $40-$50, i would consider the upgrade.

thanks

These are sometimes fun conversations. I don't have any actual expertise in the area (I'm not an engineer nor, did I sleep at a Holiday Inn last night)

That said, you probably know of the weakest link theory? A chain is only as strong as its weakest link right?

Well, you have say, a 36" cord. Get the biggest, best most awesome one you can find....and you plug it in.

Now, start working backwards. The wire in the wall from the panel box to the outlet... I wonder if it's 12g, 14g? Let's presume it's 12 (as I would expect an outlet to be, without any knowledge in that area either)

Well, what about the extra fancy circuit breaker in the panel box?

Truth be told, I've thought it might be interesting to have some made. Make them really pretty. Perhaps gold plated on the outside. Then again, metal on the outside might be somewhat of a conflict with code (no idea but I could believe that code would want something non-conductive)

Well, maybe gold colored plastic?

So, your breaker has contacts that are in what kind of condition? I wonder if they're "oxygen free" copper as well? Does cryo-treating the circuit breaker make any gains?

Then to the power companys meter. I'm sure that is cryo'ed since it's outdoors during the winter [:P]

Lots of miles....pretty miles... of your forefathers fruit... (wait... that's part of a song, disregard)

Lots of miles of power lines back to the power company.

So, if any of those items are less than pure/pristine, seems to me all a fancy cable at the end of the chain is going to do is bring all the electrical trash into the unit with all the little electrons, no?

Maybe the factory cables, insufficient as they are, actually filter out some of the trash that a more pure cable would allow in?

Yeah... I think that's the ticket!

[:D]

I happen to have a couple "fancy" power cords... but they were part of an estate where I acquired virtually all of the electronics and an upright bass! I have three of them (gave three others away when I sold some amps on Ebay, helped with the feedback)

Can't say I notice any difference but then, I listen with a solid state amp & a DSP active crossover so you can discount my experience.

These are sometimes fun conversations. I don't have any actual expertise in the area (I'm not an engineer nor, did I sleep at a Holiday Inn last night)

That said, you probably know of the weakest link theory? A chain is only as strong as its weakest link right?

Well, you have say, a 36" cord. Get the biggest, best most awesome one you can find....and you plug it in.

Now, start working backwards. The wire in the wall from the panel box to the outlet... I wonder if it's 12g, 14g? Let's presume it's 12 (as I would expect an outlet to be, without any knowledge in that area either)

Well, what about the extra fancy circuit breaker in the panel box?

Truth be told, I've thought it might be interesting to have some made. Make them really pretty. Perhaps gold plated on the outside. Then again, metal on the outside might be somewhat of a conflict with code (no idea but I could believe that code would want something non-conductive)

Well, maybe gold colored plastic?

So, your breaker has contacts that are in what kind of condition? I wonder if they're "oxygen free" copper as well? Does cryo-treating the circuit breaker make any gains?

Then to the power companys meter. I'm sure that is cryo'ed since it's outdoors during the winter Stick out tongue

Lots of miles....pretty miles... of your forefathers fruit... (wait... that's part of a song, disregard)

Lots of miles of power lines back to the power company.

So, if any of those items are less than pure/pristine, seems to me all a fancy cable at the end of the chain is going to do is bring all the electrical trash into the unit with all the little electrons, no?

Maybe the factory cables, insufficient as they are, actually filter out some of the trash that a more pure cable would allow in?

Yeah... I think that's the ticket!

Big Smile

I happen to have a couple "fancy" power cords... but they were part of an estate where I acquired virtually all of the electronics and an upright bass! I have three of them (gave three others away when I sold some amps on Ebay, helped with the feedback)

Can't say I notice any difference but then, I listen with a solid state amp & a DSP active crossover so you can discount my experience.

You've been drinking again haven't you? LMFAO........I had to quote the entire reply because as sarcastic as it may be (and I truly appreciate that), I agree 100%. You can't improve on something that has a "weak link" in front of it. Nice reply!

ELECTRICAL SERVICE. You clearly need to upgrade to 200A service with 2/0 incoming feed. Certainly, you need to run a dedicated line (8ga, min) to your $500 outlet.

Crazy talk.

That said, I would bet that there is a difference in sound if you did the exact opposite of everything above....200ft of 14ga wire with 60A service with a crap outlet and a 18GA power supply cord....and you had a couple of 1000W subwoofer amps.

If power is a concern, I can think of two practical things you may want to consider.

The first is to install either a commercial or hospital grade outlet. These outlets have tighter connections in them, and will assure good solid contact with the power cord. If your outlet is nice and snug already, this may not be a concern. But if it's one of those outlets where you have to bend the prongs on the power cord to get it to stay in... might want to get a better outlet. This is especially important if you are pulling gobs of amps to your equipment. Loose connections create sparks. If you do replace an outlet, PLEASE turn the breaker off and verify that it is off before beginning. If you have an older house, may be a good idea to pull the outlet and verify the screws are still tight, and that the wires are copper. If they are aluminum wires, you need to get the wiring in your house replaced. All of it.

The second is you may want to consider a power conditioner. This can vary by area. If you experience things like light dimming when when the refrigerator turns on, frequent summer thunderstorms that make the power flicker, or momentary brownouts, a power conditioner could be a good investment. But if you're pretty confident that the power coming out of your wall is nice and clean, a power conditioner could be wasted money.

The first is to install either a commercial or hospital grade outlet

Heh... just make sure you let the wife know about it. When I wired my basement (four 20 amp circuits), I put those orange 20A hospital grade outlets in the back corners (that will be hidden by the Jubes)

She was nearly in tears when she saw those flourescent outlets back there wondering why I was intentionally sabotaging her design plans.

(and I thought the presence of the Jubilee's alone were sabotage?)

She's since calmed down once she realized the height of the Jubilee's will totally cover the outlets.

[:P]