Remote controls?

oldenough

I've owned a Phillips Pronto. Although I enjoyed it when it worked, I got tired of spending $100 to replace the touch screen every time it crapped-out.

Although I liked the Harmony models, I hesitated to buy one because the software is web-based rather than PC-based and if they decide not to support the model you buy any more, I fear there would no longer be any way to program the device.

Therefore, I now own a URC (Universal Remote Control (formerly Theatermaster)., model MX-980. It suits my needs quite well, despite a few programming quirks, but the program is PC-based and I can reprogram it any time I want to. On the downside, it's quite pricey and is considered a professional remote that you are actually supposed to pay a dealer to program. But there are some web site out there that will sell you the remotes at a discount and allow you to download the software. I also purchased the infrared repeater and RF receiver with the infrared flooding modules. This allows the remote to work in both Infrared & Radio Frequency modes simultameously. i.e: It works through walls. I can control the theater lighting and HT systems from anywhere in the house.

There are others out there, too. Just be sure the remote you choose allows for future expansion of your system. Best of luck to you! -Glenn

post-10177-13819637924412_thumb.jpg

my wife got me the Harmony One with the PS3 dongle for xmas, since she was sick of the handful of remotes we had laying around. it was a breeze to set up ( comes with software), and & it was up in running within 15-20 minutes. most of the was getting the model numbers of our TV & cable box.

so far it has worked great.

Good luck with your search!

I also would recommend the URC remotes over Harmony, URC is a higher
quality better made remote. I have the URC MX-850 and MX-800 myself,
these are older models but still an excellent design that is my favorite
to use even over the newer models.

If you go Harmony either the Harmony One or the Harmony 900 (which is like a Harmony One only with added RF capability) are their best. But I would look into the URC professional model remotes as these are better than Harmony.

I've had a Pronto for years and it's a very competent remote. Programming can be quite involved, but there is a lot of support for it at remotecentral.com. While I've heard of issues with the screens, I've not had any of those kinds of issues myself. It's worth getting the charging dock as they eat batteries like candy.

I've had a Harmony 880 for the last 3 to 4 years. It's always done what it was suppose to do. The one time I had problems setting it up, their customer support was very good. It was relatively inexpensive, does everything I ask it to and has never given me a moment's trouble. As a matter of fact, it's still on it's original battery. When it finally craps out, I'll get another one like it or in the same family of remotes.