Jubscala: Questions about taking the plunge.

Mrtie

Hi everyone

I have a pair of La scalas that I 've upgraded over the last year(crites tweet,a/4500), but as money is a bit less tight now I'm giving some serious thought to taking the jub scala plunge but I have a few questions. In so far as I know what is required is a pair of k402 or k510 with drivers from klipsch, a dx38, 2 amps, and the assorted xlr to rca cables to make it work, correct? I have a new to me updated/rebuild st-70 I want to run the HF with, but I'm in a bit of quandry as to what to run the bassbin with, I have heard from various thread higher power SS amp sound better, and that suits me as the project is priecy to begin with, I have a pioneer SA-9500 I could run the bin's off, or I suppose I could look into a decent used pro-amp(hafler/crown/adcom), my question is given 2 different amps how does one insure the volume in HF/LF is matched, does the dx38 control that? Second question whom at klipsch do I need to contact for prices/ordering of the horns and drivers? Final question how do I get ahold of roy's programming for the dx38?Also if I intergate the scalabass mod into the cab is thereany changes needed on the dx38 side?

Thanks in advance

Kevin

In so far as I know what is required is a pair of k402 or k510 with drivers from klipsch, a dx38, 2 amps, and the assorted xlr to rca cables to make it work, correct?

Yep however, I think there might be a passive designed for it so you could go passive and save some costs.

my question is given 2 different amps how does one insure the volume in HF/LF is matched, does the dx38 control that?

Yes. I had this same issue and finally was told how to fix it. The important thing is the input sensativity of each amp. You need those numbers. Plug them into the forumla 20xlog(v1/v2) where V1 and V2 are the input sensativities. This will give you a positive OR negative number, depending on which value you put as the numerator. The number will be the same though (-5 verses +5). What this tells you is, inside the Dx38 you want to attenuate the more sensative amp (the one with the lower value) by 5 db's. Once you do this internally, they will be matched. It will not however, take into account if one amp has 8 watts and the other has 500. Under that scenario (which I did once) your system will be limited by the 8 watt amp.

Second question whom at klipsch do I need to contact for prices/ordering of the horns and drivers?

Roy at roy.delgado@klipsch.com He will then get the ball started for you.

Final question how do I get ahold of roy's programming for the dx38?

The PDF is attached. I can email you the actual data file that you can upload into the Dx. I'd suggest you do it manually at least once to learn how to use the Dx.

Also if I intergate the scalabass mod into the cab is thereany changes needed on the dx38 side?

If you mean the little wedgies? I would think no. The dsp file is for the LaScala 1 OR 2 and I've heard it on both.... I think you'd be hard pressed to tell a difference other than the difference that is already there with the LaScala 2 bass bin.

Good luck & keep us informed.

Are you leaning towards the 402 or the 510? The file I attached is for the 402.

DX-38 settings for LaScala (1 or 2) LF with K402 & K69.pdf

Thanks again for the info coytee, as for the bassbin mod I meant the 10 inch riser and 7" port mod, for digging a little deeper in the lower frequency's. Like the last time we talked I'm still wrestling with the horn issues, the k510 being nice becuase I can infact install it in the motorboard, and the 402 being nice for obvious sonic reasons, but being massively huge. Also as a sidemy listening roomhas the scalasin thier corners, toed in pointing at my couch about 10-12 feet away and the speakers them selves are about 8-9 feet apart from each other, would this closeness influence the horn decision one way or that other?

Thanks

Also as a sidemy listening roomhas the scalasin thier corners, toed in pointing at my couch about 10-12 feet away and the speakers them selves are about 8-9 feet apart from each other, would this closeness influence the horn decision one way or that other?

Got me....that's probably better left to some of the more technical minded. I would think either one would work just fine. I base that on the signal alignment and being 2-way.

I'm this moment sitting on floor, about 5' from one Jubilee and 8 from the other. Works here for me

Thanks again for the info coytee, as for the bassbin mod I meant the 10 inch riser and 7" port mod, for digging a little deeper in the lower frequency's. Like the last time we talked I'm still wrestling with the horn issues, the k510 being nice becuase I can infact install it in the motorboard, and the 402 being nice for obvious sonic reasons, but being massively huge. Also as a sidemy listening roomhas the scalasin thier corners, toed in pointing at my couch about 10-12 feet away and the speakers them selves are about 8-9 feet apart from each other, would this closeness influence the horn decision one way or that other?

bassbin mod shouldn't change the DX38 setup.

The K510 is an excellent horn and cutting edge design for it's size and if that is a high priority then I'm not aware of anything that can better it's performance within it's physical size.

The K402 is more like a no compromise cutting edge horn design that is designed for ultimate performance above all else and the size is an important part of the design's ability to deliver it's performance goals.

Because of it's well controlled polars the K402 will integrate with the room and listener with less coloration than any other horn option that Klipsch has to offer.

As far as distance between loudspeakers or listening position either horn will work fine. The K402 does again offer the best performance and contrary to what some might think it's size (controlling polars better) makes it a better performance option than the K510 in any room but especially as the rooms become physically smaller.

mike tn

Ok, finally got ahold of Chuck, his emails were going into my spam folder, DOH! I'm waiting to here back on shipping estimate but it looks like budget wise, and I'm going with the k510. I just bought an adcom 545 II for cheap, I plan on using for the LF, and I'll be using my ST70 up top. My next question is what do I need for connecting it all? XLR to rca I suppose, but balanced/unbalanced, or what?Also Coytee you don't happen to have that extra dx38 around/for sale anymore do you, as there is currently none on ebay, I mean I can bide my time but thought I'd throw out some feelers. My game plan for electronics would be Source-Preamp-DX38-St70 to HF/Adcom to LF. Any issues with using a pre before the dx38 for volume control, once the dx is set for the differing impedence values of the two amps?

adcom 545 II for cheap, I plan on using for the LF, and I'll be using my ST70 up top

Sounds like a plan [Y]

My next question is what do I need for connecting it all?

I presume both of those pieces to be RCA/unbalanced connections. If you use a Dx38 you might be able to get away with the plug in XLR/RCA adapters. Perhaps something like this. (just make sure to get the right mix of male/female)

http://www.markertek.com/Connectors-Adapters/Audio-Adapters/XLR-to-RCA-Adapters/Neutrik-USA-Inc.xhtml

I had some hum in my system so I also inserted an Art Cleanbox between my preamp and Dx.

Coytee you don't happen to have that extra dx38 around/for sale anymore do you

Fraid not. I bought three of them for excellent prices once (one for $400 and two more for about $450 each). I bought one for me and was going to inventory the other two for circumstances just like this...and pass on the good price to someone else. They both were snatched up prior to my receiving them so I don't have them any more.

My game plan for electronics would be Source-Preamp-DX38-St70 to HF/Adcom to LF

[Y]

Any issues with using a pre before the dx38 for volume control, once the dx is set for the differing impedence values of the two amps?

I guess I'm lost.... isn't that exactly what you should be doing? Do you have the input sensativities of each amp yet? That will save you some mental gymnastics of trying to match them by ear if you do. If you don't have that info yet, you have time to research & find. Once you set your Dx to the paramaters you need, I suspect it will essentially fall to the wayside and you won't be fiddling with it too much again other than to turn it on/off.

Thanks coytee, Yeah I have the values(470k for the st-70, and 100k for the adcom) and thanks for the info on the xlr's I may just buy a decent set of xlr to male rca cable off the Bay anyway. To bad about the Dx's if none show up in the near future is the EV-One an option, they seem be be getting near the same price, and they both run EV's same software in so far as I am aware, would the programing differ?

Yeah I have the values(470k for the st-70, and 100k for the adcom)

Mind you, I'm a bit out of my water on the techical stuff but, I would have expected you to say "2.5V and 1.75V" or something like that, expressed in volts, not k. I'm speculating, but I'd bet you a Happy Meal that you're holding the wrong specs in your hand at the moment. For all I know, they could be related and 470K might mean 4.7V (I have no idea...just showing my ignorance)

they both run EV's same software in so far as I am aware, would the programing differ?

Evidently it IS different. On talking to David, (the most recent Jubilee owner who's pair are being built this very week if I understand correctly), he is using the DC-One and currently has my extra Dx38 in his hands to play with. He asked me a couple programming questions....and the long/short is, I had to download the software for it. So no, I do not think they use the same software.

Also... I'm not sure that the electronic "tlx" file that I have for the Dx is compatable for the DC. In other words, if someone uses a Dx38, someone can email them the paramaters and they can upload the actual datafile into the unit and never have to actually program it. This file won't work with the Dc (or so I think...I might be wrong)

Minor issue... I'm just trying to get all the road bumps that I see, out on the table for you.

Mind you, I'm a bit out of my water on the techical stuff but, I would have expected you to say "2.5V and 1.75V" or something like that, expressed in volts, not k. I'm speculating, but I'd bet you a Happy Meal that you're holding the wrong specs in your hand at the moment. For all I know, they could be related and 470K might mean 4.7V (I have no idea...just showing my ignorance)

Those are the input impedances for the two amps... not input sensitivities. The Dx38 will have no problem driving those. The problem usually comes from driving SS equipment from a tube pre. Tube equipment usually has too high an output impedance to work well with (usually) lower SS input impedances. I hope the ST70 is quiet enough for the high end, but it sounds like a good plan.

Bruce

• Like 1

The st-70 is highly updated/modded(new powerboard, new driver board, etc) it is very very quiet on my current la scalas,so I hope it would work, yeah I guess I misread coytee, but I have the info for sensativity as well so no biggie.

My game plan for electronics would be Source-Preamp-DX38-St70 to HF/Adcom to LF. Any issues with using a pre before the dx38 for volume control, once the dx is set for the differing impedence values of the two amps?

Is your preamp active or passive?

You'll need two RCA male to XLR male cables for feeding the preamp into the Dx38. Coming out of the Dx38 you'll need four female XLR to male RCA cables.

You're probably going to run into some hiss/buzz problems, but we can work you through the specifics of what you end up with. Do you have any cable/satellite TV being used in the same room / system?

1. active, tube pre.

2. I don't have cable/satellite, as I use a HTPC as storage/playback/source outside of vinyl.

3. I was concerned with how much hum will be an issue.

So I have pulled the trigger on the dx38, and an adcom for LF, just need to fill out the order forms and fax it into cinequip, then it's onward to Jubtown. Anyone(islander?) have the programing info for the k510 jubscala set up?

Thanks -Kevin

2. I don't have cable/satellite, as I use a HTPC as storage/playback/source outside of vinyl.

If your computer has a 3 prong plug with a safety ground, then there is a 90% chance of a ground loop hum. The best solution would be adding a ground wire inside the Dx38, but let's wait to see if that is the case.

For the first time hooking it up, I would recommend leaving the tweeters disconnected from the amps until you can verify everything else is working. The Dx38 is providing the safety for the HF so make sure it is wired and configured properly. You would have a hard time hurting the LF.