Jubscala: Questions about taking the plunge.

Mrtie

Now that I actually read (and comprehend) the details of what Chris is saying, I'm even more perplexed. It makes me wonder if he's having a blonde moment.

You will be crossing to the K69 at 470Hz so it would seem to me that anything under that would not go to the very thing you're trying to break in. Therefore, I think he's suffering from a moment of madness and is perhaps thinking entire speaker, not strictly K69/402

Just plug & play. You'll love them and they'll break in soon enough.

Guest Anonymous

Uh oh...

You mean you didn't hear about the transportation strike that started over the weekend?

Expected to last three months...

sucks huh?

Angel

HA, to funny, good one. [:D][Y]

Guest Anonymous

Just plug & play. You'll love them and they'll break in soon enough.

Yeah i agree there coytee, i dont worrry about the break in period, just plug it in and let it break in all by itself...

Change your order and get the 402s. Small horns sound, well, small. The 402s produce a completely immersive soundfield which causes the speakers to just about disappear. The better pattern control near the crossover region also provides a seamless transition between the horn and the bass bin. IOWs, you can't tell where one leaves off and the other begins -- it just sounds more cohesive. Also, the uglier the horn, the better it sounds. :)

I have the ugliest pile of horns that you have ever seen and it's the best sound I can afford.......better then my Khorns ever were. Long live MWM bass and big horns on top.

Damn you Coytee, your Jubilee evangelism has claimed another soul, as I sit here listening with this big dumb grin I can only say I had no idea what I was missing with my la scalas. Thanks also to Bob who kindly allowed me to hear his Jubilees a year or so back, which where a blast but I'm glad I went for the 402. These ugly monsters are just effortless, can't wait for morning so I can turn them up and see what they are really made of. Awesome. Also thanks to Roy, you have done amazing work to make this a reality.

*** you Coytee, your Jubilee evangelism has claimed another soul

I only offer the Cool-aid of Jubilee'ism..... it takes a wise one to sip from the cup.

Now you're committed to some pictures and a nice report. Don't forget an updated report in 100 days.

[Y]

Don't forget an updated report in 100 days.

lol

Btw, that break in thing Chris is talking about was done with no xover in the chain, and I believe Roy was targeting the Fs of the driver (where it takes the least power to move the driver). I would imagine guys like Roy do this because they want to be able to quickly take measurements. I've seen as much as a 6dB difference in frequency response between brand new and broken in...

Now that I actually read (and comprehend) the details of what Chris is saying, I'm even more perplexed. It makes me wonder if he's having a blonde moment.

You will be crossing to the K69 at 470Hz so it would seem to me that anything under that would not go to the very thing you're trying to break in. Therefore, I think he's suffering from a moment of madness and is perhaps thinking entire speaker, not strictly K69/402

Sorry for not being more specific...

I was referring to the fact that you can easily break-in the K-69s using the Dx38 in the loop. First save your JubScala Dx38 settings using the "Save" button on the front panel, then reprogram the two HF channels to remove the Hi-Pass crossover filters. You should also move the Low-Pass crossover frequency for the bass bins down to something below 100 Hz. It only takes a few seconds. Then you can break-in your K-69s for the proverbial half-hour.

Once the break-in is accomplished, just recall the JubScala settings using the front panel buttons. Voilà! You're ready to go.

Chris

Voilà! You're ready to go.

Too complicated!

Just plug em in and enjoy! [H]

Ya'll notice he's since disappeared (Mrtie). I fear he's sitting in his living room, clicking his lights on/off very slowly. (much like Glenn Close in Fatal Attraction) asking himself..."how did I ever think I was listening to anything good prior to this"

I think we've lost him. Anyone in his area that can drive by and check on him?

I think we've lost him. Anyone in his area that can drive by and check on him.

Nope just slept in on my day off, I was up until around 4am listening though. Running a 200hz(couldn't find 250hz) tone from a strereophile test cd on loop through the k69's right now while I enjoy my coffee and wake up a bit. I get the GF's camera out soemtime today and take some better pictures then my cellphone would.

Cool!

If you could, and once they are broken in, you might describe your first impressions in a bit more detail for the other folks here that have never heard the K-402s/K-69-As: there seems to be a fair amount disbelief floating about.

You don't have to juice it up - just matter-of-fact reporting is good enough... [:|]

Chris

You don't have to juice it up - just matter-of-fact reporting is good enough...

I agree... simply tell it like it is. I tried that once and was still accused of juicing it up! [:S]

You should also have a PM or email from me (forget which)

5574416735_84bdd75ccb.jpg

More pics here-> http://www.flickr.com/photos/61293192@N08/

Impressions: Just the fact's Ma'am.

The soundstage is huge. The mild brain drill/horn honk that the la scalas had from time to time, is pretty much gone.

Vocals, man this entire upgrade frenzy was in a way started by my father who recently purchased a pair of Paradigm signature s2v.3's, which are, if you've never heard them, some very serious bookshelves. The Paradigms in a lot of ways showed me what I was blissfully ignorant of missing at least in terms of mid/hirange clarity and smoothness.Now I'm not sure if it is the horn, the driver, or both but the vocals are so much better now especially female singers.

Going active rocks! Seriously I'm running nice beefy SS down, and wonderful tube's up top, the combo sound to my ear awesome, the scala still aren't the deepest speakers in the world but they certianly have slam, and Roy's eq settings have dealt with the annoying 150Hz bassbin buzz that made harder rock almost unbearable to play on this system.

They just feel effortless, less ear strain, somewhat less picky about types of music, and freaking huge sounding. Very happy so far, I'll be posting up some A/4500 and ct125's on the garage sale in the near future. These horn's are pure awesome, I hadn't realised that even hearing Bob's Jubilee, which are still and awesome speaker and a great peice of history as his are running the 510, on the BC drivers(prototype k69?) with passive built by Roy I think. But I feel the k402 is leaps ahead of the 510 and worth the cash, maybe I'll have to haul my gear over to Bob's and do some A/B with the 402/510-active/passive, though I'm sure his wife would not approve [;)]

Next on the agenda ported bass bin, some wood putty, and a fresh coat of black paint on my rough la scala. Maybe a bigger house, LOL.

One of the nice things about going active is you can easily provide some LF EQ when you get your bassbin ported so you can maximize the reduction in excursion. Will you also be upgrading to the K43 woofer?

I'm really stoked to hear you've got no ground loops to tackle.