Bass crossover mods for the RF's?

rsp1068

I recently grabbed a set of highly reveiwed ML sources.

In the same room, same location, with the same gear, they out perform my RF 7's in the bass department. The ML's are very accurate, authorative in the bass department. The 7's now come accross as Very bloomy, almost heavy sounding in the bottom end. So, my question being has anyone looked at reworking the crossovers to seperate the 10's ? I beleive both drivers are in parallel.

Other than port plugging, and things to "dampen" the bloom, I am curious if anyone has made a change in the crossover in the tame them a bit.

This may have been better suited over in the "mods" area, but, both are used for 2 channel listening.

Thanks.

That's not the bass I'm getting from my RF-7, you need to experiment with speaker positions until you get the bass right for your room. I have my RF-7 probably about 2 feet from the wall and about 3 feet from the side walls, you'll need to experiment what works best for your room. Good luck.

The bass is right for the room, as my wife chased me to the basement so I had to build a "mancave" for my toys.

I have been a long time RF fan, settling in on the 7's years ago. I typically listen at lower volumes, where the wall of sound is wonderful.

It is just that now after trying the ML's, the 7's are bloated, and slow on the bottom end, and i am curious if anyone has messaged the xovers to get a handle on them.

Thank you,

Bob

the 7's are bloated, and slow on the bottom end

I owned three pairs of RF-7's over the last few years. "Bloated" and "slow" tells me they need more power. More power (300-500 watts) makes the 7's tight, fast and snappy.

However, I think that I may know where your coming from. I always thought the 7's had "subwoofer-like" bass.

the 7's are bloated, and slow on the bottom end

I owned three pairs of RF-7's over the last few years. "Bloated" and "slow" tells me they need more power. More power (300-500 watts) makes the 7's tight, fast and snappy.

However, I think that I may know where your coming from. I always thought the 7's had "subwoofer-like" bass.

If anything needs high power; it's the Sources. I've owned them and they require a good high current amplifier of the utmost quality. The ML woofers are excellent quality and very fast and tight to match the speed of the electrostatic panels. You would find the same fast and clean bass from Magneplanars as well. I suspect the RF-7's aren't quite in the same class as ML. JMHO...

Guest davidness

When I updated the crossovers in my RF7's and my RC7 (ala deang), I wondered to myself if anyone had ever experimented with a pair of RC7 crossovers installed into the RF7's for exactly this reason; separating the 2 woofers. It seems 'odd' Klipsch designed the RC's crossover to do this, but not the RF's. I realize there may be some good reasons that it 'shouldn't' work very well, but it couldn't hurt to just see.

If anything needs high power; it's the Sources.

It has been proven over and over that even though the 7's are very efficient, the low end benefits from substantial power due to low impedance dips.

I'm a bit confused as to why you are having bass problems with the RF-7 as you describe.

I had Martin Logan Summit back around 2005 or 2006 and I found the bass to be more open with the RF-7 for the room I had those two in, and a bit different bass from each other. I've always found the bass of the RF-7 to be tight, clean, fast, snappy, and never slow, boggy, or muddy. In-fact, I've been quite impressed how well the bass on the RF-7 do sound compared to the Cornwall and Klipschorn's bass I have. The RF-7 hold it's own quite well.

Does your ML have built in amplifier? This is where you may need to experiment with, try a high powered/high current amp with the RF-7. I have several amps that range in different watts per channel. I've always used the RF-7 with 200watt, 400watt, and 500 watt amps and the sound and bass have always been very good.

Your built in amp on your ML is probably giving the woofers more power than you are giving the RF-7?

try a high powered/high current amp with the RF-7. I have several amps that range in different watts per channel. I've always used the RF-7 with 200watt, 400watt, and 500 watt amps and the sound and bass have always been very good.

Yes......and to go one step further (the icing on the cake for me) bi-amp them with a sweet, low powered tube amp on the HF's. As long as the beefy solid state amp on the woofs and the tubes on the highs both have gain controls, you can blend them perfectly. [Y]

In 10 years I've seen it all about the 7's.I've never heard them called bloated, slow, etcc.The 7's are super tight and very fast, imo. I would look at location/room or gear or maybe they just ain't the speakers for some.I've had 500 watts per channel on my 7's, they sound just a good with 125 real watts to me.The only improvement I ever got was changing prepros or high dollar amps, not high power amps.That said, high power is fine as long as it's high quality.

Jeeper buy the MLs then.

I did and sold them. I've tried ML's twice and just couldm't get into the sound after a while. I prefer Maggies, Acoustats and Apogees over the ML's. I never said the RF-7's were bad. I said that "I suspected that they weren't in the same class." I don't care much for the sound of Klipsch post Heritage. I have not heard every speaker in the more affordable lines, but the older Heritage line has been a revelation to me.

When I updated the crossovers in my RF7's and my RC7 (ala deang), I wondered to myself if anyone had ever experimented with a pair of RC7 crossovers installed into the RF7's for exactly this reason; separating the 2 woofers. It seems 'odd' Klipsch designed the RC's crossover to do this, but not the RF's. I realize there may be some good reasons that it 'shouldn't' work very well, but it couldn't hurt to just see.

Thank you David,

I hadn't thought of that. I will pull the xover out of my RC 7 and see what they did.

Agreed, I've only used high powered/high current/and very high quality gear on my RF-7 with excellent results, but I don't know what an RF-7 sounds like on anything other than what I use. Probably why I disagree with the others that say the RF-7 are too top hot!

I can't tell from you system description what you are really listening to, maybe you can sharpen up your system profile. If your avatar is your listening room it looks like you could pull your mains out into the room a bit more. If you have 5 channels going, I don't know if I can help, 5 channels will definitely increase the bass response. Fill out your sys profile so we know what you are listening to. P.S. I don't need to know about your TV or game boy, just the system you are trying to improve. .......

I can't tell from you system description what you are really listening to, maybe you can sharpen up your system profile. If your avatar is your listening room it looks like you could pull your mains out into the room a bit more. If you have 5 channels going, I don't know if I can help, 5 channels will definitely increase the bass response. Fill out your sys profile so we know what you are listening to. P.S. I don't need to know about your TV or game boy, just the system you are trying to improve. .......

Wow russ, good catch on the avatar.I didn't notice but if that's the set up then I can see a real problem with location and postition.The 7's need to be close to corners(about 2-3 ft) and front about 30 to 36" from rear wall in a typical room and at least 12 ft apart, better at 15 ft, all imo.

Thank you Russ,and all,

My room, electronics, etc.. are all fine. I am not trying to improve anything. I was curious if anyone had modified there RF 7 crossovers to drive the 10's seperately, and if it tightened up the bottom end. I use the 7's for video (processed surround) and the ML's for purely 2 channel. It stands to reason that 2 paralleled 10" drivers will not have the same responsiveness that an 8" driver does, or even 2 discretely controlled 10's. They move air, and dig deep, but the attack and decay are "slow" in comparison.

Again,

thank you

Thank you Russ,and all,

My room, electronics, etc.. are all fine. I am not trying to improve anything. I was curious if anyone had modified there RF 7 crossovers to drive the 10's seperately, and if it tightened up the bottom end. I use the 7's for video (processed surround) and the ML's for purely 2 channel. It stands to reason that 2 paralleled 10" drivers will not have the same responsiveness that an 8" driver does, or even 2 discretely controlled 10's. They move air, and dig deep, but the attack and decay are "slow" in comparison.

Again,

thank you

Then maybe you should change the title of this thread?

People are trying to help you solve what was perceived as a "Bass Blossom" problem and you just want to know about Crossover Mods.

I would start a thread asking about "Crossover Mods for RF 7's".

The fine members here are trying to help you tame the Bass Blossom and you don't want that. It is a little confusing!

Dennie