Recommendations?

JAG02

Hello,

I am completely new to these forums and I am sure that there have already been tons of posts asking the same questions, but the search function here hasn't given me what I am looking for.

I am a recent college graduate and am looking to start setting up a nice home theater system. I know most products here are really expensive, and if I want nice quality, I'll have to fork out upwards of $5k, but needless to say, I'm not at that level yet.

Ideally, I'd like to start piecing together a good system. I'd be comfortable spending approx $500-600 and do not mind buying used (as long as it is a good deal). Since I would not be putting more money into my system for another year or so, I'd like to have this purchase fully capable of giving me the awesome Klipsch experience (if that even exists at this price, lol).

Some details that might be useful:

I currently live in a condo (planning to move out in about 1-2 yrs) and my living room is about 10x10. Obviously, when I move I'd be looking to have a larger living room.

I have an ancient TV, but I would be looking to buy an HDTV after I get this initial purchase out.

I have a PS3 (dont know if thats too useful)

I life in Phoenix, AZ.

I'd greatly appreciate any/all input and advice. Thank you for your help!

JAG02,

Welcome to the forum.

Ideally, I'd like to start piecing together a good system. I'd be comfortable spending approx $500-600 and do not mind buying used (as long as it is a good deal). Since I would not be putting more money into my system for another year or so, I'd like to have this purchase fully capable of giving me the awesome Klipsch experience (if that even exists at this price, lol).

I am guessing for that initial budget you want amplification(receiver, integrated amp, etc.) and a pair of Klipsch speakers and assuming your PS3 will be playing CD's, DVD's, BD's.

Your local C-list is the best place to start. There are a few very informed members in the Phoenix area that i am sure can and will guide you the best they know how.

If this is legit, jump on it now. Right now. With these you would be jumping into the Klipsch pool both feet first.

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/ele/2268890396.html

KLIPSCH CORNWALL III - $300 (PEORIA)

Date: 2011-03-16, 11:16AM MST
Reply to:
sale-np3gn-2268890396@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]
Hello... my name is Jim. I am selling my mint condition Cornwall III speakers. The veneer is the black lacquer, which is a premium veneer by Klipsch. They've hardly been used. Please email me at jmiller9113 at yahoo if interested. I will not respond to emails sent to the CL email address in this ad. I will also throw in a pair of Audioquest's finest speakers cable (10-ft length) if you pay my asking price. Thank you.

• it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

PostingID: 2268890396

Bill

Hey man, welcome to the forum. Lucky for you! I live in scottsdale and know of a set that might be good for you :). You are in the right place for sure to be asking these questions.

First off, you need a receiver to atleast start with to power everything, then speakers. Speakers are no good if they dont work :). The local craigslist market is phenomenal for klipsch gear and i have been buying and selling on it for the last year. My entire speaker setup was built from craigslist. Its all free now since i flipped enough setups to have it pay for itself :). I am in similar boat as you, i have been out of ASU for about a year and half and live in an APT and hope to move out in the next few years. You don't need a sub, in fact, itll piss your neighbors off. That is something you can always buy later and doesnt have to match the rest of your speakers. You can buy from tons of different brands based on your price point and what not.

My ultimate suggestion is to buy used from craigslist and wait until an awesome setup arises. I check the ads everyday keeping my eye out for stuff. It almost doesnt make sense to buy new since there is such an abundance of gear available

I just texted the guy, he came back and said 599 OBO, its an rf-3 system, two rf-3 II fronts, rc-3 center and rs-3 surrounds. Its not listed, i caught it the other day when it was but his ad isnt up for it. His listed gear was in another ad but is gone now. I think you could get it all for 500-550 which is a really good deal. I had the rf-3's and loved them. Its a smack up great deal, its a setup you wont have to worry about upgrading in the future. This is a deal where you'd wanna get the setup before the receiver haha just because its so good. If you bought a new receiver, figure you would spend around 350 bucks minimum. Used is a different story. There are good harman kardons available and denons and onkyo's.

If you want to hear the system i'll offer you a listen at my place

he came back and said 599 OBO, its an rf-3 system, two rf-3 II fronts, rc-3 center and rs-3 surrounds. Its not listed, i caught it the other day when it was but his ad isnt up for it. His listed gear was in another ad but is gone now. I think you could get it all for 500-550 which is a really good deal.

This is a good deal. I told you a Phoenix forum brother would be right on it. I suggest you take up SuBXeRo's offer and go listen at his place.

SuBXeRo,

Go check out those Cornwall III's and see if it's for real.

Bill

Bill,

Thanks for your response. You are correct in assuming that I'll need the whole shebang with that money... Now that I'm thinking about it, I used to DJ waay back in the day and have an amp from Radio Shack (I think its Optimus brand) that I used to power two 15" speakers (which I also still have). I dont remember the specifics, but I'm sure it'll work to power the Klipsch speakers - right?

Thanks for the heads up on the CL ad, I went ahead and emailed the guy to see if its legit.... Should I offer a lower price? What is a good price to buy these at?

Thanks again!

The cornwall prices have dropped over the past few weeks cause they arent moving and sellers are getting antsy. They are probably for real is my guess, i just wonder what condition they are oin. If he has audioquest cables they are probably in decent condition. I would love corns but again, the gf would slaughter me

The price is not bad at all provided all is in good condition. The rc-3 centers usually sell for around 100-150, the rf-3's anywhere from 250-350, the rs-3's from around 200-300. Not bad at all IMO. It just depends on how you wanna go about things. The heritage cornwalls people swear by, i just got my first heritage heresys about 2.5 weeks ago. The best thing you can do is buy a system that is coherent and fluid, aka make sure the timbre matches amongst the different speakers (making sure the mids and highs sound similar in each speaker). I only upgraded to the rf-5's because the deal i did allowed me to keep them for free :) otherwise i would have been perfectly happy with the rf-3 II's.

As i said, i'd be more than happy to give you a demo of some music and movie if you want. Kind of give you a better idea of what you are getting into. For your price range, the rf-3 system is a great deal, for less money you can maybe get a slightly younger RF system wiuth smaller drivers, not worth it IMO because upgradetitus will slap you in the face :)

Thanks for the heads up on the CL ad, I went ahead and emailed the guy to see if its legit.... Should I offer a lower price? What is a good price to buy these at?

if it's legit. BIG IF!!!

i pay him the $300 he's asking, and get outta there before he has a chance to give you your money back.

If it is legite, it might the be the score of the year(2011). I doubt it is. The MSRP for new Cornwall III's is $3750.00 for the pair.

Truthfully, you really should consider the RF-3 system that SuBXeRo is directing you towards. He is a good guy and will show you the ropes.

Bill

The heritage line is always expensive but they are good speakers. the cornwalls would do you well if you want to build a heritage system. The stuff comes up but no where near as commonly as the reference or synergy gear. The rf-3 system is great because its a 5.0 system that is ready to go. All in black as well, forgot to mention that. The heritage line vs the reference line are two different speakers, they really are. Both sound clean and clear and to each their own. I am more of a reference guy but the heritage line intrigues me because of their design, finly engineered cabinets and for me would be nice to build a 2.0 or 2.1 stereo setup with and connect it via tube amp in the end.

If you are free today let me know, i do commercial real estate so i can be flexible with times. I live up in kierland.

i also inquired about the cornwalls :), something seems off on them, they are brand new for 300? sounds like a knock off maybe, who knows.

Am I safe in assuming that the Cornwall deal is better than the RF-3 deal you mentioned earlier?

I will stab at this. The RF-3 system will give you an awesome full HT setup minus a subwoofer. All speakers mentioned are timbre matched. The Cornwall III's will give you 2-channel Utopia and could be the main speakers in a killer Heritage HT setup. Problem is, we don't know if seller's price is for each or the pair. Either way(based on condition), it would be a very good deal if in good condition. $600.00 for a good pair of Cornwall III's is still a deal to consider.

The last pair of Cornwall II's(not newer III's) sold for $1020.00 on Audiogon back in October 2010. There is currently a pair for sale on Audiogon for $1500.00.

Bill

• Moderators

Did you buy everything at once, or slowly upgrade?

Klipsch CF-2 with KV-3

Then upgraded center to RC-7

then sold the CF-2, KV3 and RC-7 and upgraded to RF-83's and RC-64

then bought a number of different surrounds (RB-35, RS-35, RB-61) and ended up with the RS-52's.

All of my gear has been pieced together over time, looking for great deals on craigslist, paying cash as I could afford it.

This is how i started:

Mar/April 2010 - Acquired RF-10 (2x rf-10, 1x rc-10, 2x rb10, rpw-10) ht system with denon 1707 receiver - $400
Mid/Late April 2010 - Acquired 2 RF-3 II for $250 (upgradetitus hit, rf-10 had no good bass extension for me)
(break, my mom passed away so i went back to NJ for 2 months)
Late July 2010 - Acquired RC-3 II center for ~$100
January 2011 - Acquired 2 RS-3 II surrounds for $200
Late January 2011 - Acquired RF-5's, rsw-12, rc-3 II center, rs-3 II surrounds (sold everything but the rf-5's)

current setup as it stands is in my profile. The denon 1707 went to my sister when i got my emotiva gear and is power some SF-2's i got in a trade and i just got her the match center as part of another sale where i got the center for free after selling the other parts.

As you can see i have built up my system over time and sold parts as i bought new ones to replace them. I have been very patient over the course of the year and have gotten a smash up set. hen buying used in an active market like this, things will come up and you gotta snag em or wait for another one. Heritage is less common but is still there.