New to Klipsch and need advice

inked

Hi all,

I'm new to the Klipsch line of speakers and need some advice.

I'm currently on the hunt for some Forte's and have always had my mind set on them...until just a few minutes ago. There's a pair of Chorus II's on that very well known auction site ( am I allowed to post that site [^o)] ) ?? Anyhow, I never really considered the Chorus because most people won't ship them due to their size and weight...also, the price for shipping is insane.

So, for the going rate of the Forte's plus shipping, I could probably pick these Chorus II's up for the same price since I can go pick them up. My question is not which speaker is better, because I've read enough to know the subtle differences between the two. It seems to me the presence and soundstage of the Chorus is just better as well as the mids and highs. The Forte's bass seem to dig a little deeper. At least that's what I've read. Anyway, to my question. I'm looking to fill a pretty large room, around 800-900 sqft. but there's a chance I may move this 2 channel music system into a smaller room in the future, more like 200 sqft. Will the Chorus respond well at low listening levels or will they suffocate? They will be powered by a Pioneer sx1010. Again, I may not move this system but there's a chance.

Thanks everyone for your advice.

Welcome to the forum. I am glad you listed room size for the rooms, but dimensions would held even more. The Chorus II respond well at low levels as do all of the Heritage line. If you can get them for a good price, I would go for it. Even in the end, if you do not like them, they hold their value. I think you will fall in love though as my Chorus IIs are my favorite speaker (and I have La Scalas and Heresys). Which pair are you looking at, and you can mention it here. Forum members point out good sales on craigslist and eBay in the Grage sale Alerts section. One nice thing is most forum members do not work against each other on purchases. If you still feel hesitation, let people know your location and a forum member may allow you to come over for a listen. Bur if you like the Forte, you will like the Chorus. Slight differences but more the same than anything else. I have only heard the Forte's some, but own Chorus IIs and Quartets.

Thanks for the advice chisoxpurdue,

Room dimensions are tough because the living area has 8 foot ceilings and is roughly rectangluar shaped but then opens into the kitchen and dining area which has vaulted ceilings reaching 20 feet in height. So really there's a lot of square footage but with the vaulted ceilings in the other room, the cubic footage is massive, so it's deceptive.

Good to know about posting other sites. Here's a link to the ebay auction that I'm gonna start bidding on. Funny though, his shipping costs are only $30.00. I think it's a misprint but it's posted twice. I emailed him to let him know and also inquired about local pick up. I'm hoping he fixes the shipping cost because at that rate, those babies are gonna be up for grabs for just about everyone.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Klipsch-Chorus-II-speakers-pair-great-condition-/130499051587?pt=Speakers_Subwoofers&hash=item1e62598043

Don't start bidding as you will only drive your own price up and stir interest. Find a friend with a snipe program and snipe them it's the only way. Set your price limit and let the snipe program do the work in the last 3 seconds of the auction. Personally I would not even go back to the site untill the auction has ended. Bidding now only urges others to do the same and the price goes up. One to three seconds at the very end is where you will win or loose. Hope this helps. Best regards Moray James.

Welcome to the Forum!

A few months back, I got to go to "BigCliff"'s house, and listen to 4 channel in the basement. (Fortes and some KG 5.5s).

Then I got treated to The Rolling Stones on His Chorus IIs......

OMG. If you can get the Chorus IIs, get them.

They are amazing. (So are the Fortes, but IMHO, a slight notch below).

I have Heresies; and with a good sub, they sound nearly as good..... (I just got a new receiver, so my beloveds took another step closer).....

But man.... the Chorus IIs rocked...... I would love to own a set someday.

As mentioned, not worth driving the price up too soon.......

Good Luck.

Fortes are wonderful speakers, and Chorus even more wonderful. I don;t remember the Fortes having better bass, but rather the Chorus bass being a little more tight, the mids and highs clearer. I owned a pair of Fortes for over 20 years, and depending on the amp the bass could be a bit uncontrolled. The best they ever sounded was right before I sold them when i had them hooked up to good 20 watt tube amp; the bass was just right. You should be happy with either speaker, but I still lust after a pair of Chorus to have in the basement.

Thanks for all the advice everyone...

I agree with everyone's suggestions about holding my bid back until the final few seconds. I've been burned many times...as well as burned a few myself [6] in the closing seconds of an auction.

I saw those La Scalas last night...those look promising and what appears to be a heck of a deal. I don't know anything about those speakers because they were nevre really an option. Anyone care to give their 2 cents on their performance?

Great speakers, larger footprint than the ones you had been looking at. Best used with a subwoofer (do not go all that low). Will sound good by themselves, and even better when a sub is added. Great Heritage sound. I would surprised if a Forum member does not gobble these up so hurry. Great deals do not last long. Look at these belles that people went to the area waiting for a reply. http://community.klipsch.com/forums/t/146901.aspx. La Scala are definitely a sound investment, pun always intended.

I just received an email from him...that's a real bummer actually. I thought I'd have home field advantage with the bidding wars. Now, it's pretty much up for grabs to anyone...[:(]

And he says local pick up is difficult because of his schedule...but the shipping cost would be cheaper than the gas it would cost me to pick them up.

But like I said, I have no advantage over other bidders now with such a cheap shipping cost.

Any suggestions on how I approach this. It's now me against the masses!! [^o)]

Thanks for all the advice everyone...

I agree with everyone's suggestions about holding my bid back until the final few seconds. I've been burned many times...as well as burned a few myself Devil in the closing seconds of an auction.

I saw those La Scalas last night...those look promising and what appears to be a heck of a deal. I don't know anything about those speakers because they were nevre really an option. Anyone care to give their 2 cents on their performance?

La Scalas are a very different beast from the Fortes and Chorus speakers. A huge sound stage, much more accurate and clean sound, but not a lot of low bass. The bass is big, but cuts off pretty sharply around 60hz. Make sure you have the space for them, they are as deep as they are wide!

And he says local pick up is difficult because of his schedule...but the shipping cost would be cheaper than the gas it would cost me to pick them up.

But like I said, I have no advantage over other bidders now with such a cheap shipping cost.

Any suggestions on how I approach this. It's now me against the masses!! Hmm

Chorus II's(178 lbs) + shipping for $30.00 = @#$@%^&*$#(big bundled mess)

The schedule comment seems a little odd. I would not risk shipping unless crated and drop shipped using ABF, Conway, Old Dominion, etc.

Bill

I thought it was a little odd too, he does state he has all original boxes and assures safe arrival, but why risk the shipping on his part when you've got someone that will come pick them up? I don't know, seems strange, kinda paranoid now.

Those Las Scalas are looking better the more I think about it.

The craigslist ad has been deleted by its author...Sad looks like I was too late.

$$$ in one hand and keys in the other and a quick trigger finger.

Keep looking and be ready to pounce.

Sorry about the lost deal. Maybe the Chorus II seller will change his mind about pickup.

Good luck,

Bill

I would be very wary of a seller that refused "local" pick-up, much less effort than having to pack, ship, etc on his part. Regardless of which route you go you will be satisfied with either the Forte or Chorus. My opinion on the two is that the Chorus has slightly better bass at "concert hall" levels of sound. I'm talking about 110db and above. Other than that, almost identical in sound INMHO.

I prefer the series II in either, with the "Exponential" midrange horn, and larger passive radiator on the forte, not sure about Chorus.

Best of luck on your future purchase!

Thanks for the encouragement and advice everyone...much appreciated. I too am wary of someone that wouldn't prefer local pick up...like you said, less hassle of packing and shipping, and no risk of damage...especially at $30!!