Vertical Heresy Center

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems to me having a centered sound would be very important for the center channel. Looking at the THX center leads me to believe I may be wrong. It is clear at least that Klipsch does not share my obsession for symmetry.

The biggest question would be will these very different drivers work well with a system filled with horn squaks and tweets. I have not been into this long enough to form an opinion. What makes otherwise good speakers that are different types sound bad together? For instance, my Paradigm 220's aren't really working so well with the La Scalas. My Bose Center does not sound great with the JBL L/R and the Infinity rears. The only surround system I own is all Integra and Paradigm.

Exactly, and that is why I plan to stick with the heresy center. I was just thinking about the smaller vertical profile available with a "vertical" Heresy. I plan on sticking with all horns. Left, center right is all about timbre matching. You can find a great deal of info on this by searching timbre matching or center channel on the forums. Home theater or technical questions would be where I would head if interested. Many centers have the horn (or maybe we could do tweeter and midrange horn) in the center flanked by a woofer on each side (see Academy or KLF-C7 as centers usually used for Heritage setups). Many on this forum are proponents of using the same three speakers across the front. Three La Scalas lets say. Or a Belle in between two la scalas or Khorns. That I am sure is unbeatable, but out of budget and would be overkill in an area only 13' wide like I have.

Here is what the front looks like currently. I am condsidering a vertical Heresy, leaving it as is, or flipping it upside down.

Also considering making room for it under the TV tilted up when a new cabinet is made. Upgrading the TV and making a new cabinet are on the agenda. As is selling some of the stuff lying you can see about the area. Basement is a work in progress. Stereo takes precedence though.

post-48631-13819639151768_thumb.jpg

After this weekend I will be adding 2 more La Scalas to my arrangement. That's 4! I am going to be facing this very question. Look at the photo below:

IMG_1298.jpg

The TV is way up there above the window. This is an old picture so you don't see the left La Scala where the ladder is, and the second Paradigm Cinema 220 under the TV. ( had to add one to keep up with the efficiency of the La Scalas). If I put a La Scala under the TV on the floor, it will be obviously not coming from the TV, right?

Ideas??

The TV is way up there above the window. This is an old picture so you don't see the left La Scala where the ladder is, and the second Paradigm Cinema 220 under the TV. ( had to add one to keep up with the efficiency of the La Scalas). If I put a La Scala under the TV on the floor, it will be obviously not coming from the TV, right?

Ideas??

A split La Scala could work.

The Midrange and Tweeter would go up near the TV and the bass bin could go on the floor under the TV.

Others may chime in and help here. I have not had a split La Scala, but the new La Scala IIs come in two pieces and I know industrial ones could come like that in the past.

Other forum members will have more info about the split ones.

I just wanted to show the rears as well.

The Chorus IIs are used for rears.

The forte I and Quartets are set up back there for two channel listening and I am comparing the three from the chorus line.

I will most likely compare the Tangent 500 and the heresy I back there as well.

I do not think I will more the La Scalas back there for two channel testing.

post-48631-13819639158398_thumb.jpg

P4030001b.JPG

This works Quite well. The narrower spread of the horns does not seem to cause a problem with focus or localization.

I did modify the crossover to be similar to the la Scala Type AAs so they would sound as near alike as possible.

At one point, I was contemplating a Smith Horn for the midrange on a center as it has a pretty wide dispersion pattern. I was told on this forum that you want the center channel to NOT have a wide dispersion, so that the sound is indeed very focused. Not sure I agree.

Your room is looking nice, John.

Bruce

If I was doing it I'd do two things-

slam the tweet and mid as tight together as possible

get the Z brackets to move the K77 to front of motor board.

Michael,

How would you maintain the Heresy cabinet as a sealed box if you use z-brackets for the tweeter?

Bob Crites

Build a box inside the cabinet that is sealed (like placing a can
over the back of the driver/horn). JBL and others have done that with
their cone mids and tweets. It could be made out of 3/8 " and not really
change the total internal volume that much. If you were building the
cabinets from scratch you could add a half in to the height to get the
space back.

Bruce

Well the stock Heresy mid is 80 degrees horizontal and 30 degrees vertical so you don't want to mount that vertically or you will be narrowing your sweet spot and getting too much bounce off the floor and ceiling. the tweeter is 90 degrees horizontal by 40 degrees vertical and that would be for it mounted in a vertical position. The T35 and K77 are diffraction horns and are not the same as the k75,76,79 and such which are designed to be mounted long way horizontal. Bob Critis tells me that the CT125 is an excellent tweeter upgrade for the Heresy providing flat output out to 20K.The CT125 has an identical diffraction horn to your stock unit but has a much better compression driver made by Eminence. Bob also advised mounting the horns flush to the front of the cabinet . I know PW said it did not make a difference but I would disagree. Hope this helps to make my comment clearer. Best regards Moray James.

Hi Moray James,

By "stock" Heresy, I assume (?) you mean the dispersion pattern as characteristic of a new Heresy III employed as designed (it's longest dimension in the vertical or upright position).

I wanted to verify the dispersion width because I'm considering an Heresy III as a replacement center channel speaker in my home theater. The 80 and 90 degree pattern is appealing to me because my theater emphasizes width in the seating area more than depth. The Heresy (or whatever I ultimately decide on) will replace an Academy center speaker purchased in 1992 and be flanked by two K-Horns.

Tom

The Heresy uses a diffraction horn which I mentioned (the CT125 has a virtually identical horn). The Heresy was typically mounted in the horizontal position with the long dimension in the horizontal plane. That horn which is a T35 or a K77 is a diffraction horn and will have its widest disperssion when mounted vertically. Mounted in that position it will have horizontal dispersion of 80 degrees and vertical dispersion of 30 degrees. The Heresy ll does not use a diffraction and the way you see it mounted (long dimension in the horizontal plane) will yield 90 degrees horizontal dispersion and 40 degrees vertical. The Heresy lll has the same dispersion chartaristics as the Heresy ll but the H lll uses a tractrix profile while the H ll uses an exponential profile. Both the H ll and the H lll have the same dispersion figures. I hope this helps and if I have missed anything or errored that someone else will jump in. Best regards Moray James.

Thanks for responding Moray James.

I think perhaps my question is less complicated than I made it sound in my prior post. [;)]

I'll try to clarify. For my purposes, I just need to know whether using a Heresy III in the orientation exactly as shown here (http://www.klipsch.com/na-en/products/heresy-iii-overview/) on the floor below my HT screen would yield an 80 degree/90 degree dispersion pattern in the horizontal dimension. In other words, with the speaker oriented as shown in the picture, would the dispersion width be 80 degrees/90 degrees? I'm hoping the Heresy in a center channel role can provide the wider horizontal coverage, rather than a 30 degree/ 40 degree pattern.

Just trying to get it straight before deciding on a replacement for my center channel speaker---the new Heresy III is on my short list.[:)]

Tom

Tom: if you use either a Heresy ll or lll as a centre channel with the cabinet in the vertical position, so woofer on the bottom with mid and tweeter above you will be getting 90 degree horizontal dispersion and 40 degree vertical dispersion from both the mid and hi horns. By the way I just last night installed Ti diaphragms into my brothers Quartet speakers and they are superb. So if you go with the H lll I think you will be delighted with the sound. Best regards Moray James.