Super Tweeters

FireWave

Super tweeters are cool. Once you hit 40, you need to add one for every 10 years as you age just to be able to hear normal.

...but your dog and cat won't like you very much for doing so... [8-)]

"Get 'em while you're young...(or female)"

Presbycusis2.gifPresbycusis2.gif

Presbycusis1.gif

Chris

Most (or all ?) hearing curves I have seen are at just above threshold, rather than within the SPL range of most real music.. Hearing loss with age may not be quite as depressing as it seems (i.e., may involve less loss at high frequencies than these curves show) during the medium and louder parts of music, perhaps because of the effect of cortical arousal. I'm getting up there in age, and while I can no longer hear 16Khz on test disks unless right smack on axis and fairly close up, and some music does sound different, I think it's interesting that cymbal crashes, for instance, sound like they always have. So do the other instruments during musical climaxes. With music or dialog, the bad speakers in flatscreen TVs, computer speakers, and many others I encounter out in the world still sound to me like they have a lot less detail and "air" than good speakers --- I still hear a great difference.

As to Super Tweeters, if they have a level control, one great advantage might be the ability to turn up the treble only from about 10KHz up, where there are no fundamentals at all, just delicate, airy, shimmering overtones (I think the highest fundamental on the piano is about 4.5KHz). Hopefullly one can get Super Tweeters that have very low distortion.

The definition of Super Tweeters may have changed over the years. In 1959, JBL advertized the 075 as a Super Tweeter. It cut in over 2.5KHz in several of their systems, and at 7KHz in their Paragon, and their S8 and S8R systems (granted, 7K is higher than the highest fundamental you would be likely to encounter in acoustical music, so it might qualify as an "overtone only" speaker). JBL's and Altec's great theater horns started to roll off badly at something like 11KHz, so they could have used a Super Tweeter.. .