amp power

Inkabodpain

That amp would work very well. If you wanted to, you could use a Y-splitter from your Pioneer's center speaker pre-out and then bi-amp your RC-64. I don't know if you'll hear a large improvement over simply using one channel from the Rotel but since the RB-980BX is a 2 channel amp it wouldn't hurt to try. (That is, unless you can bridge the Rotel).

would a rotel rb980 bx a 2 channel amp at 120 per channel be enough power to push a rc 64, if I only use it as a mono amp for just the center channel ?

I think it will work very well. I am doing the same thing with my RC-64 with a B&K 3-channel amp. It has improved the clarity of dialog in my system, especially at low listening levels as opposed to when I had it powering my front soundstage. What is the price of the Rotel you are considering?

Bill

• Moderators

I think $250 is a fair price for The RB-980BX. I'm selling the same amp for $200 because it has two binding posts that need to be replaced.

If you look at the back of the amp here, it shows that it has the ability to be bridged which I would definitely do if you are using it to drive the RC-64.

• Moderators

The RC-64 can handle 200 watts RMS. If you only run one channel of the amp, you are only feeding it 125 watts. If you bridge the amp, you are sending it 360 watts. More power gives you more headroom. Will 125 watts power the RC-64...absolutely. All Klipsch speakers are super efficient and can be driven with very little power. But to give the center the authority it deserves, I personally would bridge it and use an SPL meter to balance the levels of each channel.

If you only run one channel of the amp, you are only feeding it 125 watts.

Being that the Rotel has only one transformer/power supply, running a single channel instead of two "might" up the power to about 130 to135 watts/ch in mono and as mentioned 360 watts when bridged. Either way, your B&K(220 watts) is only about 2.8 dB louder than the Rotel(120 watts). Then you raise the RC-64 about 3 dB to match the fronts.

Bill

• Moderators

Someone mentioned a few posts back , bridge my center channel from my pioneer elite to the rotel rb980bx with a y splitter.

Mark suggested you to bi-amp, not bridge, using a Y splitter. Bridge is a term meaning to combine two channels of an amp into one, typically doubling the power. Amps that allow this usually require you to use the positive of one channel and the negative of another channel to "bridge" the power of both channels into a single mono signal.

Mark was saying if you want, you could go Sub Out from your receiver with a Y RCA. This would separate the signal in two. Then you would take one of those and use an RCA Cable and plug into the amp. Then on your RC-64, you would need to remove the metal jumper on the binding posts and run one pair of speaker wire from the left channel to the HF (High Frequency) speaker terminals on the back of the RC-64 and the right channel to the LF (Low Frequency) speaker terminals on the back of the RC-64. My guess is you won't hear much if any difference.

Try this. Hook up one channel of the Rotel to the RC-64 and try it. Watch a scene from a movie. Then bridge the Rotel and try it. See if you can hear a difference. Be sure to test at low and high volume.

• Moderators

No, receivers typically do not have the ability to bridge channels. To bridge an amp, you have to have two channels and more than likely, your receiver should only have one pair of binding posts for the center speaker so you couldn't bridge it anyways.

Here is what you need to do. On the back of your receiver, use an RCA cable from the Center Preout into the amp. Then bridge the amp by using the diagram on the back of the amp showing which two binding posts to use when in bridged mode.

Does that clarify it better?