running 2 center speakers

JasonJCarney

I've always thought that running a single larger (more capable) center would be better than running two of the same. I think two of the same introduces some issues that are best avoided (lobing or comb filtering are the terms if I recall)

2 part answer; first, I have run 2 centers in a couple of different configurations with great results, but having said that I was using RB61's, RB5's and one time a couple of RP3's with one on either side of the screen. Considering what you're looking to try this with (this is just my opinion) I would think that the single 64 would sound better than the 2 52's.

Well....a quick look online will show $1299 almost everywhere. The places under that price seem a bit sketchy. I could look into a local dealer as they have been known to offer 10% off msrp. Even at $1100 it would be a difference of $600. I guess my question is (for the owners of the 64 and those that have experience running 2 centers) is: Is the 64 $600 better than 2 rc 52's?

Hey Colter is that your name? My son's name is Colter. I guess what I'm looking for is the ability to play it louder ( I plan on changing avr's and going with seperates). Why does anyone use a 64 vs a 62?

to more closely match their mains. Look at the specs.

Based purely on specs....I don't see how the 64 pairs with the 83's 82's or 7's any better than the 62 does. Seems like the only reason to get a 64 is to play it louder (higher sensativity and higher power). I mean the looks are of course are awesome! Having the four drivers is really mean looking. Am I missing something? I guess I would go with a 64 based on looks alone otherwise I might as well go with the 62 and save $800. The question about the 2 52's was based purley on availablity and price. If I could get close for half the price then maybe I would go that direction.

Currently the f-3's. At some point would move to rc7's if I felt I needed to. However I do like my f-3'a very much. I do ht only no music. Right now trying to upgrade center and subs. Then act and fronts last if nessasary. Also.... Why "no comparison"? Cleaner? Maybe the added drivers softened the horn? What was the improvement specifically?

• Moderators

IMO, the RC-52 is unimpressive. I heard it with the RF-82's and it absolutely could not hang with them. The RC-62 is a good sounding and very capable center. The RC-64 is just downright impressive. Not only in size, looks but clarity and shear authority. With approx 80% of all information being sent to your center during a movie, you want to get the best you can afford.

I have looked at the specs. I agree that looks are cool and important. Your saying that the RC-64 has a more clear sound than the RC-62? What do you mean by "shear authority"? I am only asking cause when the wife says "why do you need a bigger speaker?" I would like to have some hard facts to give her! lol Cause if I say "It looks cool" she will not be a happy camper. [:D]

• Moderators

I have looked at the specs.

I wouldn't put too much weight into specs. You cannot describe the difference in sound with specs.

Your saying that the RC-64 has a more clear sound than the RC-62?

To my ears, yes. Others can chime in on their experience between the two.

What do you mean by "shear authority"?

My RC-64 sounded great with just my receiver, but once I added 220 watts of clean Parasound power to it, it's like I awakened the beast. LOL. Clarity improved, I can crank it and it does not distort, gunshots are solid, glass shattering is crystal clear etc. It is a very dynamic speaker that can handle lots of clean power from an amp.

I am only asking cause when the wife says "why do you need a bigger speaker?"

We all know that none of us really "need" bigger speakers but typically, bigger speaker cabinets sound better than smaller speaker cabinets. Bookshelf speaker just cannot compare to an equivalent floorstanding speaker. My thought is the same with center channel. The RC-64 has a larger cabinet. Maybe that plays a part in it sounded better than the RC-62.

I would like to have some hard facts to give her!

Those never work with my wife. My approach is to let her get what she wants...then when it comes to my toys, she RARELY squawks at my purchases because I can easily point out her Coach Purses, how many times she gets pedicures, new clothes etc. My guess is she has just as much (if not more) invested in those things as I do with the HT. LOL

Cause if I say "It looks cool" she will not be a happy camper.

Yeah, that wouldn't fly with my wife either.

If at all possible, see if you can go to a dealer to hear it for yourself. If you don't hear much difference, stick with the RC-62. My advice is to at LEAST get the RC-62. As I stated, the RC-52 just is unimpressive in the least. I wanted a center channel that would have crystal clear dialogue, tight bass response and could handle lots of clean power....thus the reason I chose the RC-64. Worth every Benjamin I paid for it. [:D]