Adding extra power.

gagelle

I'll soon be receiving an Emotiva XPA-3 Amp. to power my front and center channel speakers. My Harman Kardon, rated 75 watts with 2 channels driven, doesn't put out the quality of sound I used to get from older 2 channel receivers. I've read that the power rating of many receivers is unreliable as the quality degrades when many speakers are driven. I've also read some positive reviews from people who added the XPA-3. (I was told by Emotiva tech support that I would notice a tremendous increase in sound quality.) But I have nothing to lose as I can return the unit within a month if I don't like it.

I just hooked up my Emotiva XPA-3 today. The difference in sound quality is simply amazing. Channel seperation and quality has improved so much that for the first time, I feel that my speakers are really working. Instruments are audible that were't before. I'm also getting wonderful deep bass from my Cornwalls. Previously, I had to turn the volume up to a very high level to get the woofers going. This produced an unbalanced, loud, irritating high end. Now my woofers are working at normal listening levels. This product is worth every penny I paid for it. I still have my two sorround speakers powered by the Harman Kardon, which sounds great. In my opinion, the material on the Emotiva web site is correct. Most receivers have power ratings with only two channels driven. The power and sound quality degrade when driving five speakers. There is no substitute for extra clean power.

The amplifier is very simple to set up. It is also very heavy. I would advise using two people to lift and unpack it. (Unless one is a weightliftrer.) I recommend this amp. for others having the problems that I was.

IMHO it's not so much about how much power (especially with Klipsch), but the quality of power.

The newer HK designs (and most modern low-medium cost) recievers/amplifiers use the old Crown pioneered class AB+B mode of operation. People have often critized Crown amps for being a bit "tizzy" or gritty sounding. Personally I think there's more to it than that.

When I first got my 5-channel HK receiver the first thing I did was hook it up to the main (music only) system to see how well the center channel worked instead of the Klipsch center channel phantom circuit box I made for use with separate power amps for each channel. At the time my amplifiers for general everyday/always on use were Crown D60. The HK didn't sound nearly as good as the 30 year old Crowns so it promply went to the HT system for which it was purchased. Even with the "same" class of operation/circuit type (and a little more power) the HK didn't sound as good. And it certainly is not even close to the McIntosh I'm currently using.

I hear what you're saying. My 15 year old 30 watt HK sounds much better than my new one. Im running my Epic CF-3s with the old HK and they sound terrific--nice clean sound with plenty of power. From what I've read, HK has gone through many different owners over the years.

On the other hand, the sound quality from my rear Fortes has improved significantly since I took the load of the 3 front speakers off the HK.

As I was reading your setup it led me to the Luxman L505u--integrated stereo amplifier. It looks like a high quality piece of equipment. I don't listen to the radio so that's not an issue. There are a few new ones on Ebay but they probably should be purchased at a high end audio store for warranty purposes. Also, the shipping costs are over $400. I just wanted to get your opinion on this unit.