1983 Y

no i don't want the corns remade because i already have mine. j/k Biggrin.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This may be as good a place as any to mention that I am finally enjoying my 1978 Cornwalls, now that I have them driven by an all tube line up. They sound particularly fine when I am playing a McIntosh MR-65 tube FM tuner. I am also using a Dynaco Pas 3 preamp and Eico HF-35 monoblocks. The pre amp and monoblocks have yet to be radically modified, but local friend and electronics guru mdeneen has helped bring these units back to their original form. This is an interim system awaiting the completion of the previously mentioned Dyana-70 mod to pp triode. Even CDs played through this system mostly sound great now, however those Mosaic reissue jazz sets on vinyl are simply spectacular.

The Cornwalls are sounding good also because I have not been taunting them by playing compromised recordings. As mentioned earlier, there is a lot of vinyl and some CDs which simply do not sound good through the Cornwalls, and which can be slightly camouflaged by lesser speakers and lesser systems. Now that I am playing high quality recordings the Cornwalls are showing off their powers.

I think if the Corwalls were presented again, they might best be directed toward the specific market of users who utilize tube gear and who understand the need for high quality media going into the system in the first place. In other words, the audiophile arena. The Cornwalls, IMO are like a hyped up race horse or a special race car, needing the right conditions in order to really show off in their best form. Apparently they are also an ultimate answer for low wattage SET systems. One thing for sure, if they get sold again, I will feel like mine were a bargain, although I paid top eBay dollar for them last year. I like my Cornwalls!

As for playing all those recordings in my collection from labels that were not of the highest quality to begin with, or for playing rare sides in compromised condition , I am finding the equalizer a promising tool in conjunction with the Cornwalls proclivity for emphasizing things in the 3-4K range which can seem a bit harsh on certain recordings.

Inspired by my friend's home built speakers, I am also going to build an Altec system, but I will save this for a new thread.

-mild and mannered

------------------

Cornwalls

currently upgrading

to all tube components

I started looking at Cornwalls in 1969; the legend of PWK was strong even then. I finally purchased my pair in 1971. They are of the vertical format.

Never in a dealer showroom or at a Klipsch show did I ever see a pair put down on their sides, making the horns horizontal. Mine even came with rug-sliders mounted on the bottom. I can even remember a setup shot of the Cornwall doing its duty as a center fill between two K-Horns in the vertical mode.

I always assumed that Klipsch modified the Cornwalls to minimize production and inventory costs.

And yes, bring them back!

Chuck,

The "vertical horn" cornwalls work fine either way...up or on side...they just give much greater horizontal dispersion on their side...and the speakers' axes are closer together in the vertical plane with the speaker on its side.

The fact that the Cornwall was only made as a standard version in this configuration for a few years, with the horizontal models dominating production throughout its history kinda indicates it was more popular in that configuration.

One of the other problems solved with the Cornwall on its side was its tendency to rock back and forth...it was kinda top-heavy standing up.

------------------

If you want to send a private message, or have already done so, be aware I have not as yet been able to retrieve them. Send e-maill instead, please...just note Klipsch forum in the heading so it doesn't get deleted.

I can agree with you that horizontal dispersion will be greater with a horizontal horn, but with the horns only 20 or so off the floor, with the speaker on its side, you will be just as far off-axis from a sitting position. Over the years Ive tried the speaker on its side and it stinks by comparison. The vertical horn imaging is by far better.

The fact the older vertical model had a shorter production run is by no means a measure of higher quality in the newer speaker. Popular implies that there was a choice, which there wasnt.

Top-Heavy? Even on casters, as mine are, it would take a truck to tip them over!

The bottom line Id take either over 90% of whats out there and I hope to keep them running for another 30 years.

Chuck...there WAS a choice...all throughout the period in which the vertical horn version was being made as a standard item, the horizontal version was also made as a standard version...even after the vertical version ceased to be a standard offering, it could still be special-ordered at no extra cost at least up through 1983...I know...I built up a few for special orders.

What led to the demise of the vertical version was its lack of sales compared to the horizontal version...don't ask me why tho...

I believe that if the Cornwalls are re-introduced they should be offered either way, myself....maybe not in the rear-firing port version, tho.

------------------

If you want to send a private message, or have already done so, be aware I have not as yet been able to retrieve them. Send e-maill instead, please...just note Klipsch forum in the heading so it doesn't get deleted.

I have no doubt that the verticals were available, but let me amplify on what I mean by choice.

A dealer, given the choice to order the standard model or a special order model, is going to order the standard. He is also, in most cases, not going to give up demo floor space to have both types. In time, knowledge of the older model fades. I dont call that a choice, except to the enlightened.

The question I would like answered is whether the horizontal horn Cornwall was intended to be an improvement. Or, was it done for other reasons. PWK could have designed the original that way. And my point is: Why didnt he?

Chuck,

PWK designed both versions. The ORIGINAL version was a horizontal horn version. The vertical horn version was called the Cornwall II and came along later toward the end of the 1950's. Again, the Cornwall II never sold as well as the original Cornwall, even though BOTH models were offered at the same time during the 1960's, therefore the Cornwall II was dropped as a standard offering in favor of the Cornwall. Nevertheless, the Cornwall II could still be ordered up until at least 1983...I don't know about after that.

The Cornwall II was sold in two versions, one was intended to lay on its side, the other was not...both of these versions were the same speaker...the difference was in the addition of a riser and where it was placed, AND in the grill cloth and the orientation of the LOGO on the grille cloth panel. A number of this forum's members have vertical horn Cornwall II's made in either format.

To add to the confusion over the Cornwall II, later on after 1983, Klipsch changed the cabinets to where the components were installed into the front of the cabinet...this was also done to the Heresy...both of these models became called Cornwall II and Heresy II...Many confuse the latter Cornwall II with its horizontal horns with the earlier Cornwall II and its vertical horns. I bet PWK is sitting up there laughing right now about the confusion!!

The only difference in the cabinets of either vertical or horizontal horn cornwalls, is in the placement of the mid and tweeter horns...that's it!!!...in other words, they used different fronts...the porting was the same for both of them...the baffle was the same...the woofer position was the same, and the cabinets were the same!

Therefore, the ONLY difference is in the dispersion of the tweeter and midrange horn...pretty simple!

I hope this clears up things for ya. Just because you never saw any of the horizontal horn Cornwalls back then doesn't mean they weren't also offered as a standard item along with the vertical horn Conrwall II! They were!!

There are some good pics of Cornwall II's in this forum that came from the plant intended to be laying on their side too...I have seen many both ways!! As for what I meant by top-heavy...the footprint of a cornwall is wide, but not very deep in relation to its height...this has always tended to make it less stable than any other "heritage" speaker standing up...especially on thick carpet with no riser under it...one of the reasons so many ordered them with risers, eventually making risers a standard offering on them! Even alot of the employees noticed how easy it was to knock them over, and brought them back to have weighted risers installed. When ya got a few drunks stumbling around at a party, sh*t happens!

As for choice....who the hell knows why a dealer would order the Cornwall II over the Cornwall...unless he figured that because the Cornwall II was called such, it "had to be a better speaker" than the Cornwall? You got me on that one!! Looking back, would you rather have a Mustang II convertible or a 1969 Cobrajet 429? I know what I WOULD RATHER HAVE!!! LOL!

As for why PWK came up with the vertical horn format...you would have to ask him...and it is sadly too late for that...maybe he gives a hint in his biography which I haven't read yet! My guess would be so that if used as a center channel, it could be laid on its side...and the wife could put a tall-legged table over it...something you can't do with it standing up...ever notice how wives think a long corner-to corner-wall dedicated solely to loudspeakers just doesn't look right? Ever wonder why PWK took the LaScala and reconfigured it into the Belle so it looked pretty and then named it after his wife? My thinking is that the vertical horn Cornwall was a product of the same kind of "try to please the better half" idea! "Paul, if that damned speaker in the middle of the room was just laid on its side, at least I could put a table along that wall and the speaker could be under it!...like the table I had there when you had your Heresy there? Can't you do that for me?" Nuff Said!! Smile.gif

------------------

This message has been edited by HDBRbuilder on 05-17-2002 at 01:33 PM

Thanks, you gave me the missing piece of the puzzle. I admit that I never knew that the original Cornwall was horizontal. I had always thought that the Cornwall II was the redo into the horizontal with the original being vertical. If the II was a failed experiment with a reversion to the original, it all makes more sense.

• 4 years later...

I was searching for the Cornwall dimensions and drawings and stumbled across this gem of a thread from 2002 featuring Andy HDBRbuilder. Thought you all might enjoy some of the early thoughts regarding the reintroduction of the Cornwall.

Michael

I believe these were drawn by Jim Easley, who also did the LS plans. He deserves the credit. A bunch of folks made measurements and posted corrections, until they were satisfied with it.

Bruce

Thanks, Michael for posting this old thread of Andy's once again...great reading! It's interesting to view what was projected back then, and to now have the Cornwall IIIs already established and selling (hopefully well).