Extending my home theater, what do you think about his setup?

NielsW

I am moving to new home in which I finally have the space to extend my home theater to a full Klipsch reference series 5.1 setup. :))

My planned setup is the following:

Front: 2 RF63's

Center: RC62

Sub: RW12d

Rear: 2 RF35's (which I already own and am completely in love with!)

Receiver: Marantz SR6400 or SR6500

Please let me know if you have any comments or suggestions. Thanks!

We need to know more about the room and your goals before having an opinion. For instance, those are fine speakers, but could sound like a clock radio if your room is 8000cf.

Room size? dedicated with acoustic treatment? Listening habits? Do you like it super loud? Do you prefer your LFE to be on the hot side? etc. etc.

I have attached a picture of the room. The room is 7m (23ft) bij 4.5m (14.7ft) in size.

The room will be dedicated to being a home theater and I will try to optimize the acoustics of the room (don't know how yet, suggestions are very welcome).

It will also feature a HD beamer and screen which I already have in use. The room will probably be used for movies 70% of the time and music 30% of the time and it will be played pretty loud but not loud enough to do ear damage. I'm not going to listen to 110db for an hour.

I have read about the RC64 but considering the size of the room it seems overkill. Am I mistaking?

The RF63 might also be overkill but hey.. those are very, very nice right?

post-50219-13819639182868_thumb.jpg

Yes, the RF-63s are VERY nice. If you get the 63s though, you need to get the RC-64. It is timbre matched and has the beautiful wood cabinet. The RF-82 and RC-62 would probably due just fine, but the 63s and 64 are in a slightly different league. You can't overkill an HT. Just turn it down a smidge if it is too loud. The clarity of the upgraded speakers will make you smile.

Remember that about 70% of HT sound comes from the center. You shouldn't skimp on that if you can help it. In fact, I would recomment getting the RC-64 and the RF-82s rather than the RF-63s and RC-62. It's all a matter of taste, but the RC-64 is an absolutely exceptional speaker if you have the cash to swing it.

Good luck with the build!

I was afraid that the rc64 would be the first thing you guys would recommend. Might as well go for the 64 if 70% of movie audio is done by the center speaker. Why do you recommend the 82 vs 63?

I also wonder if the amp has enough power for these speakers. I know that Klipsch speakers are very efficient but I did notice that putting a more powerfull amp behind my 35s really makes them sing.

• Moderators

Might as well go for the 64 if 70% of movie audio is done by the center speaker.

Some even suggest 80%. It's difficult to put a percentage on it but when you stop and think about it, anything that happens on your screen that has a sound comes through your center channel. That's almost everything. :)

Why do you recommend the 82 vs 63?

I think he was saying if you couldn't swing both the RF-63's and RC-64, he would recommend having a better center than better main speakers (if you had to choose one or the other due to cost).

I also wonder if the amp has enough power for these speakers. I know that Klipsch speakers are very efficient but I did notice that putting a more powerfull amp behind my 35s really makes them sing.

An amp always will. Receivers can power your speakers. A good solid amp will bring them to LIFE and help them achieve their fullest potential!

• 2 weeks later...

Well I moved and the rf35's are already humming in anticipation of being joined by the rf63s, the rc64 and the rw12d. They will be powered by the marantz sr6004. Should arrive at the end of the week.

Listening to the rf35s I can hardly imagine the rf63s being much better sounding than these but I guess we'll find out in just a few days. :)

Where are you going to put the center? At some point you also need to live with the stuff.

I spent some time looking at TV stands and your not going to find any thing to hold a RC-64 I did end up buying this set and a RC-62 I'm using LaSalas and KSP-400 subs up front and I'm happy with the results.

http://www.furnitech.com/

Had I have it to do over again I think I would have had some thing custom built. I found this member after I bought the 62 Damm I like this set up!!

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1314936

My little brother creates furnuture as his hobby and will build something that holds the center and the receiver and such. He reckons that it will be very cheap if we go for a minimalistic approach. The rc64s size is insane though.

I received all the goodies yesterday. One thing I noticed is that the RF63 misses a lot of bottom end that the RF35 already provides without needing a subwoofer. Luckely the RW12D is there to help out the RF63's. I configured the receiver to 'crossover' (I believe it's called) at 80hz. Audyssey set it to 40hz during 'automatic configuration' but that sounded a bit lifeless. It still feels like there is some mid end sound missing but that might just be me as I am very familiar with the RF35 sound.
/>

I did notice right away that the RF63s are much more articulated than the RF35s. Somehow they still sound a bit tight. They might need a few hours to break in?

I am NOT regretting upgrading to the RC64. The sound matches perfectly with the RF63 and it's a very impressive (and very heavy) center speaker. I would not trade the RC64 for the RC62 if my life depended on it. It sounds to perfect the way it is, anything less would break my heart. ;)

The marantz sr6004 sounds very nice. What does puzzle me is that the Marantz provides 7x110watt and to get the system up to around 80db, I have to turn up the volume to about 70% of peak capacity. I was powering the RF35s with the Harman Kardon PM655 VXI amp which only has 90watt but I would get 80db at around 25% of what the PM655 would provide. What's up with that?

The marantz is powerfull enough though. Even though I crank it up quite a bit it doesn't sound distorted at all. I could always add a seperate amp and just use the pre-out of the receiver but for now I am good.

After fine tuning the receiver configuration last night at around 23:00PM I figured I'd test a few CD's and movies to see what this baby can do. Next thing you no, I noticed it becoming light outside which seemed odd. Turns out it's 7:00AM, I had no idea.. That's how impressed I am by this setup!

I will post a few pics when everything is finished properly. Oh, and many thanks for the advice guys. :)

congrats on the setup, adding a amp was the best thing i ever did for my marantz 5004, it will really lift the 63s and 64 and bring them to life, they are still not going to dig deep but they will hit hard with some good solid power, should add some photos to the home theatre section

The extra power needed from the Marantz is probably due to the fact that you are now running 7 channels. How many channels were you running before? As you add additional speakers the receiver's ability to hit max wattage decreases very dramatically. Adding a 2 X 300 watt amp or 3 X 200 watt amp to run the front will dramatically increase your sound output at lower peak capacity.

I think that as you fine tune your system and break it in that the mid-range will flush out more in the 63s. The bass coming from two 8 inch woofers will always sound a little fuller than from three 6 inch woofers. Although I haven't heard a ton of subs, my RW-12d has been quite impressive to me. I added a second one and I can't imagine needing anything else. It reverberates in my chest and tingles in my fingers and toes! It's like an Obama speach for CNN comentators.

The marantz sr6004 sounds very nice. What does puzzle me is that the Marantz provides 7x110watt and to get the system up to around 80db, I have to turn up the volume to about 70% of peak capacity. I was powering the RF35s with the Harman Kardon PM655 VXI amp which only has 90watt but I would get 80db at around 25% of what the PM655 would provide. What's up with that?

If your Audyssey works the same as the MCACC on my Pioneer Elite then my guess is that the Audyssey detects the effeciency of the Klipsch speakers and has attenuated the output to the speakers. This will allow you to turn up the volume to max and not have the speakers clip or distort.

Welcome to the forum NielsW, enjoy your new Klipsch HT system.

• 1 month later...

I have finally been able to take some pictures. My camera isn't that great but you get the idea. Those 'acoustic panels' you see are made according to these specs:

http://johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10297

I will be adding a few of these in the corners as well:

http://forum.studiotips.com/viewtopic.php?t=535

My brother created the cabinet that holds the RC64. That worked out very well. It's grey on the outside and inside with a wooden finish front and back.

On the left side of the room there is a computer and xbox that is connected to the projector that hangs above the couch. Didn't take a pic of that yet because currently it's a mess.

I can add a few chairs on each side of the couch when necessary but since seducing women is a hobby of mine this setup works very well for me most of the time. ;) I have discovered that an added benefit of having an awesome home theater, apart from my own movie and music enjoyment, is that women are eager to come over and check it out. That alone has already proven to be worth the cost of upgrading. :)

post-50219-1381965626056_thumb.jpg