Two-channel enthusiasts converting to multi-channel?

Chris A

I too, will one day revisit 5.1 surround. I had it in college, but that was over a decade ago, and with much smaller equipment. I have all the speakers for it, but not the required space to position these large cabinets as required.

So it's been 2.1 channel for some time now.

There has only been one instance in my life where I was completely taken away with a surround sound experience and that was checking out BT's This Binary Universe DVD in DTS on a full-out Vandersteen 5.1 system.

That was the only time my ears ever needed an honest 10 minute adjustment period to "come back" to the room after turning off a system. [:|]

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went the opposite way. I was a multichannel enthusiast for 15 or so years, and last year decided to go back to a 2 channel setup. I'm very glad I did, and don't see me ever going back to surround sound again...

Quiet,

Looks like we have the same La Scalas. I listened to everything inc movies in 2 Ch for years out of the McIntosh and was very content.

I wanted to experience 5.1 and purchased the TOTL Synergy speakers 70% off at the end of life sale. The B3s are stacked on top of the LaScalas, C3 under the TV, and the S3s on the bookshelves behind me.

When a movie is mastered properly, and a good recording quality, the 5.1 rocks.

When I am listening to just music, I have done multiple AB tests, and the LaScalas always come out on top.

You can probably get your hands on 5 B3s for not too much money used, and set up a similar stacked system.

I'm currently trying to decide if I purchase 2 racks for the sides of the TV or build a 7 foot, 3 shelf open shelf stand for the amps etc.

Whether I go vertical, or horizontal, I will end up with two complete, discrete stacked systems that are application specific.

In the end, I will be bypassing the class D amp stage of the Pioneer Elite, and pre-amping the surround speakers into Class A AB Yamaha MX-800s, 3 of them. This should eliminate the irritating Class D bee buzzing sound of the internal AD-DA amplification process. If I'm not careful, it will also blow the B3s and the rest of the stuff apart literally as the magnets rip from the cones and drivers cook. But it's a chance worth taking. Judicious use of the gain controls on the Yamaha and the Mac equipment have kept my speakers healthy so far.

If I did it again, I would pick off a good DTS Master surround processor with no internal Class D amps, Yuck. I may still do it and sell my Pioneer or use it as a boat anchor.

Does anyone know of any good and inexpensive DTS master pre-amps? Emotiva?