Soundstage--Imaging Problem....Chorus ll's

SWL

If it sounds great not bi-amped why mess with a good thing?

While the Scott sounds great, it runs out of steam around 80-85db. I was TOTALLY impressed with the amount of authority and headroom up until that point.

The passive bi-amp allows us to do 95-110db comfortably. The little 20 watt Scott on the mids-tweets doesn't break a sweat and the 500 watt Mac on the woofs certainly doesn't break a sweat. Having that headroom at higher spl's is a beautiful thing. [:D]

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Crites checked out the crossovers for the Chorus ll's and did find that one of them was faulty.

"The midrange and tweeter signal are identical for the two. The woofer signal from the one marked "bad" has a 6db per octave slope where it should be a 12db slope. This is because the 68uF has one side not connected".

Mike should have the crossovers back in a couple of days. In the meantime, the resistors didn't do anything for the bi-amping when tested with the Fortes. [:(]

• 2 weeks later...

Putting the new crossovers in tomorrow. [:D]

We've tried 3 different preamps. We've tried 2 different power amps on the woofs. Tomorrow we will also try a differnt amp on the mids-tweets.

Probably won't get to it until Sat. or Sunday.

Once we get this figured out we're gonna start our own business traveling the world solving imaging deficiencies. Could be a good gig. (for someone else)

Don't hire us. We just wanna jam. We're clueless. [:P]

Once we get this figured out we're gonna start our own business traveling the world solving imaging deficiencies. Could be a good gig.

You could start in Washington... [:#]

I haven't been over there yet but he got the crossovers back in the Chorus ll's. While waiting for the crossovers to come back from Crites he had a hunch that the phase inverter tubes in the Scott might be suspect. I thought he changed them already....but aparently he didn't. Anyway, he put the crossovers back in, replaced the phase inverter tubes and it has been imaging (bi-amped) for two days now. He's very pleased with the system. Hopefully I can get over there to check it out in the next day or two.

So, to sum it up one of the crossovers was bad all along. Also, I'm not sure yet what the problem was with the phase inverter tubes but it was allowing the system to image with the Scott alone but not bi-amped. Now, it images both ways no matter what. About time! [:D]

Interesting post.

Sometimes i'm amazed at how good my system images, the day after I put on the same record and sit on the same favourite chair and NOTHING, a flat, congested, collapsed image (i'm maybe exaggerating things a little bit but there truly IS a difference from one day to another).

The most realistic cause I can think off is electricity fluctuations. My preamp seems to be very sensitive to it (I'd like to try a good conditioner but right now it's too much $$$)

but sometimes I think it might just be my brains that's not "receptive". Who knows?

Sometimes i'm amazed at how good my system images, the day after I put on the same record and sit on the same favourite chair and NOTHING, a flat, congested, collapsed image (i'm maybe exaggerating things a little bit but there truly IS a difference from one day to another).

I think humidity and air pressure play a part as well. I've been in a recording studio and one dayeverything sounds great, the next.... not so good. Not just the players hitting all the right notes, but the room just doesn't sound right.