program for measuring a room

dtel

For starting out I would recommend REW (Room EQ Wizard) found here: http://www.hometheatershack.com/roomeq/ and is free.

A mic to start out with can be the Behringer ECM-8000. You can download a generic correction curve, or purchase one that has been calibrated. The main issue with your laptop will be the capability of the audio card. If you look through the REW help files it will outline what type of card you need.

I second REW. I am using an old Radio Shack SPL meter as a mic to EQ my sub, but I am plagued with doubts as to its frequency response reliability!

I think I should have bypassed the Behringer sound card (using as SPL meter input) and went straight to the mixer with integrated microphone pre-amp. The Behringer sound card is still nifty because I can now easily play computer audio on my system through the card's optical output. So the $50 wasn't waisted if I now buy a mic and mixer (althought some more expensive sound acrd have an integrated microphone pre-amp).

• Moderators

Thanks, I will look into the REW, I had no idea where to start.

I like the way it sounds but what are the odds of it being right just by luck, pretty slim. I think it would be interesting to see what going on anyway.

The laptop has been recovered to original and it is just to play with and not needed for anything else, we will see ?

Room EQ wizard, like the others have mentioned. It will cost you around $ 150 USD to get a decent measurement set up by the time you get a Behringer ECM 8000 mic, a Behringer Xenyx 802 mixer, and a Behringer UCA-202. ( or equivalent sound card )

I haven't downloaded the newest version yet, still using the older version. Measurements made with the newer REW version can't be opened in the old version though.

Oh, you should also grab a decent boom microphone stand to hold the mic. Maybe we can do a bit of measurement at the get together this year?

• Moderators

I know I need to get a few things but until then i can still play with it. I read you can use the RS db meter with the corrected program. Just to see it would work I tried it and it worked, I think.

Now i was just playing because the sound card and the mic were not calibrated, I was just trying to see if i could record something, it's going to take me a while to slightly understand what to do. I set the meter on a tripod and put in a CD of 10hz to 100hz sweep, at least I know I have the REW downloaded correctly it read something at least.

It does take some playing around with the program to get the hang of it. BTW, with the proper sound card, you can use the tone generator in the program to test whatever frequencies you want to select or run a sweep.

Somewhere on the REW forum there is a list of suggested cards. I got a good deal on a Tascam US-144 MkII, so I snagged it and it uses USB, so I can use it whatever machine I want. Also, before you buy an ECM-8000, there is a lab in the US that will sell you a calibrated version for a few dollars more.

• Moderators

I have a long long way to go, with just a 10hz to 100hz sweep at about 80 db things were vibrating pretty bad starting around 12-15hz and off and on different things were vibrating. The sub crossover to the MWM at 40hz and I am sure things will be a problem after 100hz also. A china cabinet 35' away at some parts was louder than the speakers and it also changed pitch with different things vibrating.

I knew I had problems with the china cabinet but listening from the other end of the room there is more vibrating than I had thought.

I know I need to get a few things but until then i can still play with it. I read you can use the RS db meter with the corrected program. Just to see it would work I tried it and it worked, I think.

Now i was just playing because the sound card and the mic were not calibrated, I was just trying to see if i could record something, it's going to take me a while to slightly understand what to do. I set the meter on a tripod and put in a CD of 10hz to 100hz sweep, at least I know I have the REW downloaded correctly it read something at least.

If you connect the sound card output to your sound system, REW will do the sweep and plot the frequency response all by itself without plying a test tone CD.

• Moderators

What I ended up doing was use the computer in the kitchen 35' away and just ran a wire to the mic, the old laptop didn't have enough ram. I have another laptop I can use which would allow me to do that, the mic is calibrated (or was) but not the sound card. I may try that to see what happens. I really have no idea what I am doing with the REW program. [:o]

But the more I play with it the better chance I have to learn something sooner or later, I hope. But I thought that about women and still never figured them out !

My wife said why bother it sounds good now, I didn't have an answer that sounded good so I just said I just wanted to see what it's doing with the room. [:S]

• 1 year later...

Room EQ wizard, like the others have mentioned. It will cost you around $ 150 USD to get a decent measurement set up by the time you get a Behringer ECM 8000 mic, a Behringer Xenyx 802 mixer, and a Behringer UCA-202. ( or equivalent sound card )

Bump.