Going single driver, HF200 that is.

Ok, time to let the HF200 roll out... will in 9 days once the wood finisher is done with them.

Here are some progress pics. Very basic mounting. My Bass cab is 26" X26 1/2" so that is what I mirrored these to. Thus allowing me to drop them on my Cabs and they shoudl fit right in.

Crossover is Bob Crites with HF boost option. It will have 2 sets of bindgign posts, 1 for input and one to the bass bin.

I can aford the eliptatrac horns yet, though they seem like the next upgrade.

post-39161-13819640136972_thumb.jpg

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This driver. Its a Faital HF200 Can go from 400hz to 20Khz. No need for a tweeter. Bob crites and Alk both have crossovers. Im using a constant directivity horn, a clone of the JBL2380 horn. Bob has them for $65 each. A CD horn begins to drop out... less output with high freq. Bob has a mod to his crossover that supposedly boosts the HF enough. That said, I have not heard. Space is limited. Once the wood finisher get done, Ill slide the horn, driver combo on and screw down the crossover. My current rig has a similar top end, but uses the traditional K401/K55 mid range horn from the La Scala and Khorns and then uses the Selenium D220ti fro just the high freq. I love the sound of this setup... The single driver idea was born of upgrade fever.

post-39161-138196401588_thumb.jpg

I havnt heard... waiting for the cabs to be finished.

Despite what many and many have said my K400/K55 sound fanstaic. The new tweeter just helps the speakers disapaer. I hope the 2way will sound better.. Tthe current setup is going to be hard to beat. Bob can tell more about the corssover/horn combo. He told me that the HF boost should address the issues inherant to CD horns... the highs rolling off.

Hard to explain the differences in sound between the K401/K55 Selenuim D220/ HM17-25 and the Faital HF200/M2380. Both use Bob Crites crossovers.

The K401 setup seems more relaxed. The M2380 has a bigger sound stage, amazing resolution, but is brighter to me. (Seems brighter with and without HF boost). I’m not sure the M2380 is an improvement... I am in love with the sound of the K401 setup, the M2380 doesn’t sound characteristically different, just different emphasis. The tone/signature is the same. It does seem the M2380 setup is more efficient/louder and able to show its extension with greater smoothness. I will keep listening... right now I have a bit of tone control use and have the treble lowered a bit. With tone controls used, the new M2380 is a better setup.

Ill post more detailed and organized impressions soon. The installation of the horns/est cracked my finish on the joints in the front... so its back to get a respray.

post-39161-13819640717748_thumb.jpg

Well the rig is back from the finisher and I must say things have clamed down quite a bit.

The Fatial HF200 + Bobs crossover (No HF boost used) is great. My wife and I have struck a deal and Im getting a set of Eliptitrac hors in the next few week. Its the only upgrade left... I sold off a tube pre of mine to fund it. I was speaking with Dave Harris re a custom fit. Dave is being amazing and is willing to mount it for me... WAY COOL! So it will go off to Dave this monday. The M2380 is a huge improvment over the K401... but needed a few hours of break in to calm down.

The last upgrade is me getting the coolest horn I can afford! Thanx Bob for the drivers, crossovers and horns... Dave thanx in advance for making this upgrade so painless.

post-39161-13819640758104_thumb.jpg

Well done on the project. IMHO, two way is the way to go if you can solve the crossover issues. Ever since going to an active crossover I have been using a two way setup. I too have changed out horns and drivers over the years. I recently went from the P. Audio 4525 CD horn to a DIY round tractrix. I also went from the P. Audio BM-D750 (K69) to the HF200. The difference in my listening and testing is very small between drivers. I have decided to keep the HF200s and found them to have a slightly smoother mid range and a better performance in the range above 10kHz.

The HF200 is really a 1.5" driver vs. the P. Audio 2" driver. I don't know if that is one reason for the better high end performance or if it is due to just slightly better quality. It was a tough decision and I spent three weeks or more swapping out drivers trying to decide which I liked better.

Keep the reports coming.