Going single driver, HF200 that is.

Although I'm not using Dave's horns, the HF200 has been working out very well on my DIY round tractrix horns. I originally boosted the very high end based on the frequency response chart put out by Faital Pro. However, I have found that these drivers need very little, if any, boost in the very high frequency area. I now have a +3dB high shelf from 10kHz to 20kHz and it sounds very good.

The HF seems to have excellent mid range and has been doing a nice job from 700Hz to 20kHz. I would love to have someone compare these to something like a TAD driver.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With the M2380 horn and the HF200 the highs did not need the HF boost... Almost cutting with it in place for me. Dave's horn and the a 3way were just taking the idea as far as I could. My wife is amazingly understanding.

My listening room has terrible acustics... Im bebating keeping the M2380 and crossover for a 3rd set of corn scala's.... who knows...Its almost too much, all the different ways to skin a cat.

My k401/K55 base 3way was more than enough. 1/2 the people that hear it perfer it over the PH800/k55 combo in the other room... Both are amazingly impressive... yet each seems to resonate with someone. The M2380/hf200 was a close tie to my K401/K55... The Eliptrac won out... Im hoping the 3 way interation will out pace them all. The problem will then be wanting to bring them all to the same level.

For anyone building a cornscala, I strongly sugest you design some way of replacing the front baffle... allowing you to upgrad as you see fit without signifficant changes.

Currently I have glued walnut on the front and created a black grill. I will put a clear finish on that will leave a contrast between the walnut and the birch.

I am also cleanning up Bob's xover. Sure it will most likely sound the same but it will be cleaner.

Oh I did put a double layer of 3/4 BB on the motorboard.

The inside. No corner boards. No cross supports. The binding post are on the inside side of the set.

Please let me know if you see something really stupid or even a little stupid! These are my first set of speakers. The binding post were very hard to solder!

I have been wondering about a support for the HF200...

post-47537-1381965625291_thumb.jpg

I'm no speaker expert either. However in all my builds I have beefed up the corners and used cross bracing. Based on my research on DIY speakers, I have always added bracing and beefed up the corners. The corner cleats also help insure I don't have any leaks. I would add a cross brace that will also serve as support for the HF200. That will reduce the stress on the lower horn attachment points.

Vey nice job. Enjoy.