Going single driver, HF200 that is.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rudy: I have been wondering about the top end of the HF200 can you comment on that? Also wondering if you have listened to the Beyma CP385ND and if so your comments on that driver? Thanks for your input. Best regards Moray James.

I have not listened to the Beyma drivers. Both audibly and in measurements, the HF200 performs just a little better than the P. Audio. I had a real tough time deciding which to keep. With EQ, either driver should do what you need. I will attach the test results when I compared the drivers. Another difference is that the P. Audio is a true 2" driver vs. the HF200 which is really a 1.5" with a metal snout that takes it to 2".

Granted, my tests are not done under the most scientifically controlled of conditions. I did this outside while testing my DIY tractrix horns. These two sweeps had the drivers mounted on a P. Audio PH-4525 CD horn.

post-10337-13819640922536_thumb.jpg

Rudy: from a mid driver point of view how does this driver compare to a K52 or K53 etc. on a horn like that used on a Klipsch Forte ll Klf 20 or CF-3, or have you tried? Thanks Moray James.

I have owned all the heritage speakers at one time or another, but have no experience with the KLF or CF line. I have only compared the K55 directly against the P. Audio BM-D750....but in different horns, so it wasn't really a fair comparison. Over the years I got away from the stock horns mainly to find a sound that seemed smoother to me. I had a tough time finding a driver for the Khorn that could replace the K55 due to the Khorn's crossover point.

In all honesty, I think the improvements in all these changes are small, although noticeable. I believe the horns make a bigger difference than do the drivers, but I don't consider myself very knowledgeable in this area. This is purely my opinion and what I felt I liked better.

After all the changes and upgrades I've made over the years, I still say my room treatments made the biggest difference. Going to an active, two way system was the next best change. After that, the differences are very small and I have had to rely on measurements to help me decide which upgrade to keep. More recently, my experimental DIY round tractrix horns really appeal to my taste. The soundstage, imaging and mid range are fantastic with the HF200 and the DIY horns. Deciding which horns to keep was easier than which drivers to keep. The round horns have a very open, airy, large type of sound. Coincidentally, they seem to make sound project well in front of them and were not suitable for center channel use....it made movie dialog sound odd.

Overall, I think going to some of the new drivers can be an improvements. That is, assuming the driver can be used in the frequency range demanded by the crossover. In many instances, that is where you run into limitations.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest David H

Started the conversion from the JBL 2380 Clone to the eliptrac, I had to extend the mouth past the JBL's mouting holes and gouges.

post-24405-13819641611742_thumb.jpg

Didnt see much tweaking there, this was a perfect install, and the results are super consistant.

Its really interesting, My 3way as a K401/K55 Selenuim 220ti/baby cheek horn is really really hard to improve upon. Or so I thought.

The 3way offers some for electronica, pop and less serious listening types of music. BUT I now hear there is a coloration there... even if a subtle.

The 2ways tear the 3 way apart in vocals, significant improvement.

I can A and B test (placing 1 tophat on the right and the other on the left if needed!).

Thought Id add some notes after listening and thinking some.The M2380 with the Faital HF200 sounded really good to me, putting it on par with my 3way, K401/K55 Selenium D220ti setup. Each has there own sounds, but either I could live with happily. The addition of Dave’s horn, brought a sense of realism/less honky... I didn’t know I was until it was gone. I do think its the most neutral horn I have ever heard, some HF sparkle seem different, less forward than my 3way, but that was expected.I would list the 2380 with HF200 as a better from scratch option than the K401/K55 Tweeter combo. I would say Dave's horns are a significant improvement to this design as well. (Dave's horn is better the a CD horn (2380 CD Horn). Dave is being kind enough to help with my lastly upgrade, taking his horn to a 3way rig. This will allow us to hear it as a 2 way vs a 3way. Not sure which Ill like better. I listened to the Eleiptrac 400 setup for 2 days and then tried the 3way and switched it back pretty quickly... I did the same test, with the same results with the M2380 vs the K401.

Dave's horn looks interesting. Wish you smart guys would have gotten this all figured out by now. I am just finishing a set of Bob's 2 way Cornscala.

My listening test found the highs to be pronounce enough, so I can not see adding Bob's booster.

I am going to keep my eye on this thread and post some pictures soon. Still have a bunch of sanding and then applying finish and the grill....

Thanks for all the info.