Tapped Horn Sub-woofer Build- SPUD

Brac

do I really need both of the "hatch panels" I can't see what you could do through the small one that you couldn't do thru the large?

If you are using the access panels on the sides of the unit (like the Danley drawing shows) then you will need both to access both of the drivers' install nuts/screws to replace or repair a driver. If however your access port is on the face, angled like the DTS-10, then one port is sufficient, and it doesn't have to be sealed so completely like the original design ports on the sides

Also, I see where the plans call for an Speakon term. Is this the best option?

I like the Speakon connectors, but you don't have to use them. It's just a very good design.

However I am having trouble making a final decision between lock miter and just a rabbit, for the edge panels. The lock miter is more work but leaves no exposed plywood edges

Either way will work - the better the air seal, the better.

Chris

I may just get to fire this up tonight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I thought 2 small bags of fiber would do it, but I need 1 more, it was pretty thin so I doubled it.

Just glued the second side on, and I starting the side panels!

I may just get to fire this up tonight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I thought 2 small bags of fiber would do it, but I need 1 more, it was pretty thin so I doubled it. Just glued the second side on, and I starting the side panels!

[:D]

I'm running a bridged Crown XTi-1000 for each SPUD - which is specified to be 1kW into 8 ohms (0.5% THD) pure resistive load, but I find that I never have a problem running the drivers into their stops--I back off the gain to avoid that. It's quite riveting at those levels, especially if the sub's mouth is in a corner.

I use a higher gain for 2-channel mode and a somewhat lower gain (-3 to -6 db) for HT LFE mode (LFE on some DVDs or BDs is wayyy too high - about 5-10 dB IMHO). Crossover from Jubs to SPUDs is 40 Hz.

Chris

As this is my first foray into any DIY speaker, or playing with a "real" sub woofer, I DL'd some test tones and played 20, 25, and 31Hz.. With the gain turned up to the 2 O'clock position, The 31Hz is very clear and clean, the 25 I seem to feel more than hear, and the 20 I really didn't fool with much. __________________________________________________ 2 things,One) my Pre is a Sherwood Newcastle P-965 which is know to set sub level several DB to low, so what I've always done is run the setup, and then turn up the gain (sometimes using a Sound level meter). I will get the sound meter out tomorrow and see what it says at 20, and 25. ____________________________________________________________________________________Two, the fan on the EP1500 is wicked loud, I just pulled the cover so I could unplug the fan for testing. An internet search gives a replacement fan, that is "much quieter"._____________________________________________ What is the simplest testing software? I'd like to see some graphs.

You definately need to change the fan. BTW, don't run your amp for too long without the fan...you might regret it. I have two of these, and they rock the house with BD movies' LFE channel. IIRC, this is my response taken outdoors. Enjoy! BTW, I run them with an EP4000.

post-10337-13819659050064_thumb.jpg