Dolbly Digital or DTS?

dbImage

Hey guys,

Which is "better" Dolby Digital or DTS. I've read a little bit about both but would like the input of you guys. Manufactuers will say anything for a sale and so its hard to get honest answers. I have heard that DTS is not what its cracked up to be and that Dolby Digital is the way to go.

Thanks,

Db

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I forget the reasoning but it was legit that DTS had a slight edge in 'quality' however the differences are so small that most people cannot tell the difference.

I got this bit from http://www.audioholics.com/DDvsDTS.htm

In order to minimize the limited space allocated on a DVD for audio soundtracks, DD and DTS utilize lossy data reduction algorithms, which reduce the number of bits needed to encode an audio signal. DD compresses a 5.1 channel surround track to 384 kbps to 448 kbps (DVD Standard limited, DD has the potential of up to 640 kbps) while DTS uses much higher bit rates up to 1.4 Mbps for CD's / LD's and 1.5 Mbps for DVD. A higher bit rate must imply DTS will be superior sounding right? In theory, the less compression used in the encoding process, the more realistic the sound will be, as it will better represent the original source. DD tends to boast that its encoding method is more efficient than DTS and thus does not require the extra bit rates. However, even if DD is slightly more efficient, it is still not 1.5 / .448 = 3.35 times more efficient.. However, both DD & DTS will boast data rates, efficiency, etc, but what actually translates to better sound is a very ambiguous matter as there are more factors involved here that goes beyond the scope of this article.

Stu

like ds says, watching the bit rates on my dvd video player dts gets much higher bit rates than dolby for both video & audio. audio comes in pretty consistent at 75kbps for dts & around 45kbps on dolby. don't know if it's psycho-acoustic or not, but dts seems to sound much more clear & dynamic here. cwm35.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

So Boa.....I think you've answered this before on one of the last DD/DTS posts but what DVD player or receiver do you have that displays the bit rate?

FWIW, and with the prerequisite 'with all due respect' to previous posts that quotes that "the diff is so small most people cannot tell the differences", I certainly can. Talking about the general rule and not the exception, to me DTS sounds consistently better in all elements when all the speakers are set - and can handle - the 'large' or 'full range' setting. Clearer, smoother whith much better use of the surround channels. Put it this way. I have been startled by rear speaker 'gotcha' noises 10 times with DTS for every one DD5.1.

------------------

Ed

e, just a regular old Sony DVP-C650D dvd/cd 5 disk player/changer (as seen in "my systems" link). cwm4.gif

the b&k prepro reports the sample rate on the screen. for dvd-video that's always at 48k.

will report on that new queen dts 96/24 audio only when i get it. gotta go watch/listen to my new Santana supernatural live in dts now & watch the br flow at 75k. Smile.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

This message has been edited by boa12 on 04-23-2002 at 01:37 AM

Ya, I was watching Titan AE last night. It has DTS I noticed a BIG difference. DTS on that DVD was much clearer and brighter. But what I found odd though was that the DVD didn't have DTS 5.1 only 6.1. At least I couldn't get that option for some reason.

That movie has some great sound affects in it. Especially later in the movie where you get to the chapter ICE Crystals or something to that affect. It's ICE something though.

------------------

the m00n system

RF-3II Front floors

RC-3II Center

RS-3II Surrounds

RSW-12 Subwoofer

Harman Kardon AVR 520

Toshiba SD 3205 DVD

Samsung 27" Flatscreen

c>Microsoft XBOXc>

f>

Moon-er...Same with my T-2 DVD. DTS6.1(ES) but no 5.1. Since DTS 6.1 is really just DTS5.1 with the rear surrounds 'matrix'd' out to create a center rear from the 2 rear surround channels, I do not believe we are missing anything sound-wise, just effect wise without that rear center channel. BTW - T2 in DTS is spectacular.

I used to think that DTS was too 'tinny' or 'shrill'. Evidently, earlier DTS had no bass management so if you had your speakers set to 'small', you were missing bass as it was not routed to your sub. I had my old KSC-C1 center and my Tannoy studio monitor surrounds set to small. When I upgraded to a Belle center and CW rears, I set the speakers all to 'large'. What a tremendous difference in DTS! Very lifelike. I'm not sure if the DTS bass management has been addressed in latter generations of DVD players or receivers. Crap, now I need a rear center. Anyone have a single CW or Belle laying around in the attic collecting dust? Ha ha ha.....

------------------

Ed

yea guys no problem if you play a dts es 6.1 or dolby dig ex track from a disk. both downmix to 5.1 if that's what you have for your set-up. just play 'em like u would a 5.1 track/disk & your processor handles the rest.

i recommend getting a 6th rear center speaker & setting it up if your receiver has that capability & power for it. w/ moon's hk i believe the pre/pro section has that capability but you'd have to get an amp to power it. that's something to think about w/ that $1000 to spare moon. Smile.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

Spare money??? Oh my wife can assure you there is and will not be any spare money. I was not given a dollar amount I could spend up to. No no. Anything I spend now, comes out of my personal checking account, not our joint.

But ya I was thinking about looking into a rear channel amp and speakers once I re-arrange my room again. Right now the way it's setup there is no place for me to put a rear speaker. My couch is already up against the wall that the rear would be mounted to.

Hmm, how would that sound if I put one there anyway. My surrounds are about 1 foot forward from where they really should be, if I put a rear speaker directly above my head, would I even hear it?

------------------

the m00n system

RF-3II Front floors

RC-3II Center

RS-3II Surrounds

RSW-12 Subwoofer

Harman Kardon AVR 520

Toshiba SD 3205 DVD

Samsung 27" Flatscreen

c>Microsoft XBOXc>

f>

an excerpt from a new integra(by onkyo)receiver insert:it has come to our attention that there are audio drop-out problems being experienced w/jurrasic pk.3 and pearl harbor dvd's when played in dolby digital 5.1 soundtracks...a recent software change in the encoders used by the movie studios to master these dvds causes the dropout...dts and 2-channel soundtracks are unaffected by this problem...avman.

------------------

1-pair klf 30's

c-7 center

ksps-6 surrounds

RSW-15

sony strda-777ES receiver upgraded to v.2.02 including virtual matrix 6.1

sony playstation 2

sony dvpnc 650-v 5-disc dvd/cd/SACD changer

dishnetwork model 6000 HD sat rcvr w/digital off-air tuner

sony kv36xbr450 high-definition 4:3 tv

sharp xv-z1u lcd projector w/84" 4:3 sharp screen

Bello'international Italian-made a/v furniture

panamax max dbs+5 surge protector/power conditioner

monster cable and nxg interconnects/12 gua.speaker wire

KLIPSCH-So Good It Hz!

YES.... I knew my hearing was not all jacked up. I knew something was wrong. I have both those movies. It's much Much MUCH more noticable in JP3 than Pearl Harbor. Damn that is actually good to know because I thought that my Harman was at fault.

------------------

the m00n system

RF-3II Front floors

RC-3II Center

RS-3II Surrounds

RSW-12 Subwoofer

Harman Kardon AVR 520

Toshiba SD 3205 DVD

Samsung 27" Flatscreen

c>Microsoft XBOXc>

f>

I have asked this question before but I thought I would throw it out there again since we are on the topic. When I play a dvd in DD 5.1 it sounds great, but of course if you have a disc with DTS and its supposed to sound better, you naturally want to hear for yourself. Well when I play a disc in DTS the sound comes out of 2 out of 5 speakers. I took the HK 500 to an authorized service center and they could not reproduce the symptom. So I am assuming its the JVC dvd player. Anyone heard of this before? Thanks for any input.

Dan

------------------

Danartdis system

HK AVR 500

Heresy mains

Heresy rears

Academy center

JBL 4238 "sub"woofer

PE 250 watt sub amp

I have made blind tests of guests who didn't know whether what they were hearing was on dts or Dolby Digital... and since my receiver converts all 5.1 to 6.1... the playing field is as level as I know how to get it. The result... overwhelmingly my guests vote for dts as having more clarity, punch and presence.

Oh, and that rumor that dts is any less dramatic with the speakers set to "SMALL" is just not true. That only happens when you have a sub that can't measure up to what dts can dish out. I'm sure Boa or The Ear(s) doesn't find dts wimpy with their subs either!

I will always buy a dts version of a movie even if it is a couple of bucks more... it's what my audience has voted for! -HornED

------------------

Pic6.jpg Photo update soon! -HornEd