"X" speaker for sale, not abused?

Lollipoppa

I've been randomly shopping for another set of something speakers, but I see this posted a lot on items. Nice speakers sound good, not abused. What do people mean by not abused? I play it loud, I like lound music of many types, To me its like buying a Corvette, or Ferrari and having it for 10 yrs, putting only 3000miles on it. I could not imagine buying something like that which I would enjoy and not doing anything with it. Do I absue my equipment because I play it loud? Is it abused if I get the car up to 100 or something on the highway?

"Not abused" can mean almost anything, so you need to ask the seller what they mean. If you play music so loudly that the amplifier or receiver produces high distortion levels from being underpowered for the job (clipping), there's the potential to damage the speakers (tweeters in particular). To use your car analogy, it's equivalent to allowing the engine to go beyond redline before you shift. So, the best way to make a judgment is to simply use your ears. If all sounds well at the volume levels you enjoy, everything should be fine.

As a rule (my opinion); Abuse is clipping or playing distortion through a speaker.

You can drive a corvette 120 miles per hour..... Run the engine without oil? That is abuse.

If you play your speakers loud with a clean signal; and you are always aware of them (making sure to never push them too far); then they are not abused.

Of course; buying a set of speakers that has been in storage since new is probably a better scenario..... (Very rare).

What do people mean by not abused?

As already said abused is playing the speakers into distortion. That can be with a 15 watt amp and a guy with a 250 watt amp might not ever get there. I don't play loud anymore, it was fun to shake the house and really feel the thump but if you are listening carefully, you'll turn the volume down.

A related question: are the effects of speaker abuse "all or none?" Take a tweeter .... if it has been abused, will it sound (if it sounds at all) like something is obviously very wrong, every time practically any kind of music is played ... or will a little distortion crop up once in a while, as an effect of abuse?

Whatever your answer, is this true of both electronic abuse (either clipping or just too much clean power input), and non-electronic abuse (the former owner dropping it, or the crate falling off a truck, etc.)?