how mucch is too much

I know the title is a ridiculous statement but I couldn't pharse it any better. So I am a Klipsch owner albeit a set of H/T 500s they work well for my tv and movie needs. I've also gone to 2-channel and here's were it comes to be a little sticky. Where I live I know no one w/ any Heritage gear to hear what the difference is between Hereseys,Forte1+2,Quartets and so on. I've been on E-bay and both the garage sales here and at the Polk site.Now would you go for a pair of Hereseys for $500 w/ no shipping don't know year or model just HOO. Then there's a pair of KG.4s for $350 also no shipping .Now others are listed but when factored in shipping some of them are more than the n/s ones. So with out seeing or hearing a pair had the cash ready liked the finish what would you do. Right now this is hypothetical I'm waiting on some cash ,but this bugs the crap out of me that I don't even know how they sound in the first place. Of course the guys on the Polk side always claim Klipschs' are to brash but that's why I went w/ the 500s instead of Polks or KEFs or what ever was auditioned.When I got my spks for my 2-cl I was able to hear and see them ,a nd got them on the spot for $40 and ran out of there.So if this makes any sense to anyone could you steer me at least which way to turn.THANKS.....LW

H/T----Tosiba au37-->Yamaha RX-V665->Yamaha ysd-11 dock->Klipsch 500 set w/ 8in pwrd sub -->Denon1940ci cdp

2-ch----Adcom gfa555 200wpc ->OnkyoP301 pre->Denon 1940ci cdp -->Infinty SM112s (refoamed) -> Shure Pro240 headphones

Where I live I know no one w/ any Heritage gear to hear what the difference is between Hereseys,Forte1+2,Quartets and so on. I've been on E-bay and both the garage sales here and at the Polk site.Now would you go for a pair of Hereseys for $500 w/ no shipping don't know year or model just HOO. Then there's a pair of KG.4s for $350 also no shipping

Last year I sold a pair of Fortes for $400, which seems to be more or less the going rate. Go slowly on this. If your budget is $500, then you should be able to find a nice pair of Fortes or Chorus, but it takes time to find them. I waited for years to find my K-horns and La Scalas at a price I could afford, and within sane driving distance. I have seen several pairs of Cornwalls go for around $600. So long as you don't overspend, if one of these speakers doesn't end up being what you were looking for, you can easily get your money back out of them. As far a which speaker to get, with Klipsch bigger is usually better. [;)]

KG4's are OK. They were my first exposure, thanks to a roomate in college who had a pair. But the three-way Heritage are superior, and hold their value better should you re-sell them. If you buy unheard, Heritage is the safer gamble.

I bought some forte II on eBay for $450. They arrived in condition quite a bit worse than the description, and the seller reduced the price to $365. Still kind of high for them, but the sound had hooked me, so they stayed. I recently sold them for $325, which is more in line with their value given the cosmetic work they needed. The buyer (forum member here) seemed happy. So I paid $40 for two years of forte II sound, not unacceptable at all.

I found a mint pair of forte II on local craigslist listed for $500. The seller had listed them several times at that price with no takers, over the course of 6 months or so. They are literally showroom new looking. After very brief haggling, I happily paid $425, an excellent price for a truly minty pair.

So my advice is, be patient, and keep an eye on your local or regional Craigslist so you can inspect/listen before you buy, and avoid shipping costs. My second choice to a local sale would be to buy from a forum member, who are more knowledgable and appreciative of Klipsch product, and presumably more trustworthy than some anonymous eBayer simply looking to make a buck.

Those polk guys are just upset by how puny and gutless their speakers sound compared to our Klipsch.[;)]

Be patient, and good luck in your search. It will be worth it!

come to think of it.....i hadn't heard either heresys nor corwalls before i bought them......very satisfied with both.

i had owned synergy and ref line speakers.

paid $650 for my cw's, and never paid over $400 for a pr of heresys....+ shipping. and my chorus II's were free, so that kind of throws off the average!

Where I live I know no one w/ any Heritage gear to hear what the difference is between Hereseys,Forte1+2,Quartets and so on. I've been on E-bay and both the garage sales here and at the Polk site.Now would you go for a pair of Hereseys for $500 w/ no shipping don't know year or model just HOO. Then there's a pair of KG.4s for $350 also no shipping

Last year I sold a pair of Fortes for $400, which seems to be more or less the going rate. Go slowly on this. If your budget is $500, then you should be able to find a nice pair of Fortes or Chorus, but it takes time to find them. I waited for years to find my K-horns and La Scalas at a price I could afford, and within sane driving distance. I have seen several pairs of Cornwalls go for around $600. So long as you don't overspend, if one of these speakers doesn't end up being what you were looking for, you can easily get your money back out of them. As far a which speaker to get, with Klipsch bigger is usually better. Wink
Lol klipsch new slogan “size dose matter”[:D]