Speaker Phase On Big Heritage

jcmusic

Ok guys this is one I have never heard of before, has anyone ever tried running just the mid horns OUT OF PHASE with the other two drivers in phase??? What were the results? Why would you do this? What is the reason for trying this?

Jay

Some have tried it. The reason to do it is to see if you prefer the sound. An "improvement" in imaging has been mentioned.

Try it. You might not perceive any difference if both mids are out of phase. You probably would notice if only one of the mids is out of phase. Try to be systematic. Take notes. Please share your perceptions.

What were the results?

it will cancel coverage , below, and above a narrow piece at the crossover points

Why would you do this?

it's easy to change and put back

What is the reason for trying this?

we don't like something...we are not sure what...we change everything until we find it

Why would you do this? What is the reason for trying this?

Different crossover slopes give different phase shifts. Some crossovers require different drivers o be wired "out of phase".

Bruce

Why would you do this? What is the reason for trying this?

As a rule, crossover networks introduce phase changes in their design crossover regions. Drivers used (including the K-400/K-55 in Khorns) also have phase delays in their crossover regions. The trick is to get the relative phases of the tweeter/hf horn and woofer/lf horn to approximately match in their crossover regions. Klipsch checks the relative phase of drivers in their crossover regions for the "best setting" (as least Roy did in Hope, AR when I was there once).

However, to change the phase of the crossover driver based on your ears only is probably not something that I'd recommend.

One additional thought: elimination of crossover regions by going to a 2-way speaker instead of a 3-way speaker (esp. crossover points above ~1kHz) is something that is desirable in order to avoid all of this... [8-|]

Another approach is to use a separate tweeter baffle on top of your Heritage like Marvel (Bruce) in order to manually correct the relative position of the tweeter/horn to the midrange horn/driver to correct for time delay and phase of tweeter-midrange mismatch in the crossover region. This is the simplest and most effective approach, IMHO.

A third approach is to use an active digital crossover and tri-amp your Heritage speakers. I did this with my center Belle and the results were absolutely outstanding. I'm not sure that I need to switch out the K-77 tweeter and the K-55/K-500 midrange for a K-510/K-69-A unit now that I've got the triamp settings dialed in. Note the "polarity" settings on the Dx38 active crossover unit - this is to correct for crossover phase issues.

Chris [:)]

Ok guys threason I am asking these questions is because, I was over at a friends last night and he told me that he has it on good authority to put the mids out of phase. Now I am not going to mention any names but, this person is well known through out the audio world as one one of if not the best designer of horn speaker systems. I personally had never heard of this before last night.

Jay