$1,500

kde

Thought this would be an intriguing subject line. If you have been following any of my posts -- you will know that I am having trouble finding a pre/pro or AVR. Quick recap -- I went from Pioneer Elite VSX-54 to the UPA7 + first an onkyo 885 (that had an issue and was returned), and now have the UMC-1 (but not completely satisfied). I really think my set up in very close to perfect -- just want a hassle free pro / avr that works as intended.

So...what would you do with $1,500 if you were me?

To complete an Ultra II THX 7.2 set up with the UPA-7 (that runs through a furman)--- what would you pair with it for the price range? Options:

a. Keep the UMC and get used to the settings, etc and be happy knowing I have a 40% coupon to update later (and only have $700 invested).

b. Go back to the familiar and get a Pioneer Elite SC-37 and use it to power the surrounds and use the UPA7 to power the fronts (not sure I need the addiitional power).

c. Same as above but try to the Denon 4311 (recommended at local store).

d. Get a tried and true Marantz AV7005.

e. Other

Thought this would be an intriguing subject line. If you have been following any of my posts -- you will know that I am having trouble finding a pre/pro or AVR. Quick recap -- I went from Pioneer Elite VSX-54 to the UPA7 + first an onkyo 885 (that had an issue and was returned), and now have the UMC-1 (but not completely satisfied). I really think my set up in very close to perfect -- just want a hassle free pro / avr that works as intended.

So...what would you do with $1,500 if you were me?

To complete an Ultra II THX 7.2 set up with the UPA-7 (that runs through a furman)--- what would you pair with it for the price range? Options:

a. Keep the UMC and get used to the settings, etc and be happy knowing I have a 40% coupon to update later (and only have $700 invested).
b. Go back to the familiar and get a Pioneer Elite SC-37 and use it to power the surrounds and use the UPA7 to power the fronts (not sure I need the addiitional power).
c. Same as above but try to the Denon 4311 (recommended at local store).
d. Get a tried and true Marantz AV7005.
e. Other

I heard the umc-1 has had many problems. Its bummer they
make such good amps for the money. I guess it will really depend on what you
all want as far as features go. I would think $1500
should get you a great piece of gear. I just don’t have a lot advice on pre
pros though. What part of the umc-1 do you not like?

I like the UMC1... when it is working well. It just has kinks that you have to deal with -- blue screen every now and then, pause for sound to come on at certain times, remembering to turn on UMC first then the tv, restarting it from time to time, etc.

the umc just had new firmware released again, id attempt an update (i myself am unable to update currently for some odd reason, the updater program is flawed terribly as ive tried 2 different computers and end up with two different problems that make getting the firmware onto the unit impossible at this time, but i also dont experience any issues so im not terribly disappointed) no release date on the xmc yet and it could easily be months yet but it does look like a beast if waiting and toying with updates works for you

im not sure the 8003 provides much bang for the buck as its a more expensive sidestep, the 7005 is newer but there are small differences between that and the 8003

if it were me id wait on the xmc as theyve been pushing it back so far so it should hopefully be refined on release, and i think it was rumored at a 1k release price which would make the upgrade in my eyes easier to choke down than any others

Get a tried and true Marantz AV7005. e. Other

I figured I’d post even though I don’t have much advice as I’m kind of in the same position... I have also been considering the AV7005 while cautious of the Emotiva... looking for other alternatives.

One option I’m considering as well is using the Anthem MRX 500 as a pre-pro due to the ARC software. I’m currently looking for a dealer (and free time) where I could audition one head to head with a Marantz...

Just thought I’d throw it out there…

ROb

Thanks for the post. I looked at one of the Anthem models awhile ago and then decided to leave the AVR world and get a straight processor. Now as I have gone full circle, and am starting to look back at the AVR's. However, I am very very happy with the UPA7 and for having an amp. While I don't think I need more power -- I would be interested to know what more power sounds like. Hence thinking more seriously about adding the AVR for the surrounds. Don't want to get another amp as I don't have any more rack space.

being the thx ultra ii's i imagine more power is going to sound about the same, i would think a upa7 is going to do about as much as youll get from them seeing the sub(s) take care of the heavy work for that series, if your going to passive biamp with the upa7 and use avr for surrounds i would suggest just adding another upa7 to keep things firmly even (tried mono block marantz ma500s on my rf83s and noticed very little gain not even close to what the xpa2 does but the 83s also suck up some juice and drop to 2.8 ohms at times if i remember correctly)

if nothing else you could try finding a mps1 or 2 (that would be my choice as you want 1 amp and they are all individual modules inside at i think 200wpc) im betting that would make your setup get that little boost your looking for or something like a b&k 200.7 would be very good choice as well

its to bad emo didnt create a xpa7 they really left a giant hole between the upa7 and the xpr7 that will follow

being the thx ultra ii's i imagine more power is going to sound about the same, i would think a upa7 is going to do about as much as youll get from them seeing the sub(s) take care of the heavy work for that series, if your going to passive biamp with the upa7 and use avr for surrounds i would suggest just adding another upa7 to keep things firmly even (tried mono block marantz ma500s on my rf83s and noticed very little gain not even close to what the xpa2 does but the 83s also suck up some juice and drop to 2.8 ohms at times if i remember correctly)

if nothing else you could try finding a mps1 or 2 (that would be my choice as you want 1 amp and they are all individual modules inside at i think 200wpc) im betting that would make your setup get that little boost your looking for or something like a b&k 200.7 would be very good choice as well

its to bad emo didnt create a xpa7 they really left a giant hole between the upa7 and the xpr7 that will follow

I see that you have the UMC-1 -- do you like it? Any regrets on the purchase?

i know you didnt ask me but i thought i'd chime in. Since the most recent update to the UMC-1 i have been a lot less stressed with it. There are a few quirks still like the volume bar gets huge sometimes and the vid handshakes can take a few seconds. For all other purposes, things seem to be working ok. I am very anti HDMI, i think the technology was a good idea but the connectors suck and i think that doesnt help any video problems that may seem inherint to the UMC-1. For the price it cost and the options it has i have been very happy. The GUI took some getting used to but is great now. I think that wioth one last final patch, one good solid finisher and the UMC-1 could be flawless. Yes there are issues with the upgrades and that is probably the load/everyone has a different computer and hardware which can make it difficult.

Although the XMC is coming out, i dont know if it would be worth an upgrade espexially if the software is similar to the UMC-1. If it has different, more refined and upgraded coding then it would be worth it IMO. In a way, you could have problems with any processor, everyones configuration is different and adds to the plethora of potential problems.