Phono Cartridge for Scott 222c

joshnich

Im helping a pal set up a system and realized I have never used the phono section on any of the Scotts that I have owned. What is a good basic cart that matches with the phono section of a Scott 222c? I will be using an AR turntable with the stock arm.

Thanks

Josh

Josh - You can always have him try a Shure M97E. While not a really high-end cart, it's still a bargain at around $50-$60 from Amazon and definitely worth a try. It should mate well with both the AR and the Scott. I have one on a Thorens (currently not in use) I'd be willing to send if you want to try it out. It probably has about 10 hours on it. Just let me know and it's yours to play with.

Hey Gary,

Thanks for the offer. If I dont have something at home that will work for him Ill look into one of those. I was thinking that that Shure would be a good fit so its nice to hear that thought confirmed.

Hope all is well with you. I havent been around here much but being in the process of helping my pal I looked in. Heard any good new LPs lately? I really havent. I keep spinning the same old favorites!

Josh

Josh,

Excuse me for butting in but since you were asking about LP material, I thought I would chime in.

Have you heard Brian Wilson Reimagines Gershwin?

Brian is a sonic nut and this recording is mastered sweet IMO.

Enjoy

Brad

I recommend the Shure M97xE as well. I recently picked up a vintage Technics turntable to get back into vinyl. After a great deal of research (and some help from my friends in the RTM thread), I decided to go with the Shure. I am impressed with the sound quality for the dollar spent... [Y]

Josh,

Any cartridge with a minimum of 2 mV or more output that likes a standard 47K load will work just fine. Preferably the output should be 2.5mV or more. But 2 mV will work as long as he/she doesn't want to shake the walls down. The Scott phono section was designed around a 4mV output center line. Use the "LOW" phono input.

Jay,

I'm doing great especially just come off my yearly fishing trip man did I need that break this year!

Since I moved 200 miles north of the Ball park I only make it to a couple games a year. I haven't went yet this year. Verlander looks to have made that final step to becoming a true "pitcher" rather then just another mindless power pitcher amazing guy!