Center Channel DIY build

Rudy81

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shouldn't the phase be fairly flat due to the drivers and signal being identical and no box?

I don't think so, but you will have to ask one of the experts that know more than I do about this. The plots always look like that. WinISD also predicts that same behavior. BTW, here is the plot of the completed speaker and both drivers insalled.

post-10337-13819658330018_thumb.jpg

Here is the sweep results. This speaker has the Kappalite 3015 Neo, which is supposed to perform better at higher frequencies than the Kappalite 3015LF that I have installed in the DBB mains. I added the DBB main sweep I took when I ran those outside....for comparrison. The black line is the new center channel. Overall, I am pleased with the results. Just a little EQ on the active crossover to even things out and I should be off to the races.

post-10337-13819658331908_thumb.jpg

One of the reasons I like to run these tests is to make sure I haven't messed something up. This chart shows the results of the first few runs and I was very troubled by the huge drop in performance below 50Hz. It turns out a speaker lead was making intermittent contact with one of the woofers and this was the result. Once fixed, the response was much more like I anticipated.The blue line is the bad result vs. the final result after fixing the wires.

post-10337-13819658332708_thumb.jpg

Time to take a break and clean this mess up before I tackle voicing the speaker. I will have to change my EQ settings since I was using a La Scala bass bin before.

This thing should better match my DBB mains for theater use. My only regret is having used MDF for the project. I should have gone with 18mm BB like I did for all my other builds. Oh well, live and learn.

Finally got the grill made to match the mains. Ran a movie last night with just some basic crossover settings and it sounded very good. Just .2 ms time difference between bass bin and HF horn with no delay set.

post-10337-13819658440422_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

That looks good, the center looked giant, until you put it in the room, now it looks like a perfect fit. That should make a great center, no problem hearing the voices with that center.

I beleive I am done voicing the speaker. I used my new, fully calibrated, ECM-8000 mic and Tascam sound card for these readings with REW 5.

I think these are pretty good results after setting the crossover and EQ on the DCX-2496. Here is the spectrogram.

post-10337-13819658441842_thumb.jpg

Rudy, great project[Y][:D]

Can you take the same test used for your waterfall plot and change the time parameter and post the results?

If so and you have the time I would really be interested in the waterfall responses at approximately 5ms, 10ms, 15ms, 20ms and 30ms.

Also where was your mic located when you ran these test?

mike tn

Rudy, great projectYesBig Smile

Can you take the same test used for your waterfall plot and change the time parameter and post the results?

If so and you have the time I would really be interested in the waterfall responses at approximately 5ms, 10ms, 15ms, 20ms and 30ms.

Also where was your mic located when you ran these test?

mike tn

Thanks miketn. I should be able to run the plot and just change the time settings. I will look at that as soon as I have a chance. The mic was located 12' from the speaker. BTW, this is the raw response, not smoothed. I did close the IR window to 150 ms. to keep the HF section tidy....but no smoothing.