Future HT location after my move

SuBXeRo

Following another thread, i am moving back to NJ into my parents house and i am dealing with a new area. It does present some challenges, of which, are managable. Pics are below. I will have new pics around the end of june most likely with everything setup. I am debating on getting 2 emotiva subs or building sub enclosures for my alpine type r subs.

Without further adou, here are the pics:

In this photo you can see, the rf-7's will flank the left and right, the center will go on the shelf above the tv..if itis strong enough, will test, the tv below it, the rear behind, no big deal right now, the emo amp and processor in the middle, will have to cut open the back for now, may replace with another piece of wood so it can be made "stock again"

ec1.jpg

This picture shows where the amp/processor will go, the playstation will most likely have to find a new home, TBD.

ec2.jpg

Ok, the left cab with the door open, my plan is that will allllll go away into cab on the right, there is another on the otherside, it wil fit it all. This will be for subs if i get them, i willremove the door and make custom grills so it looks professional.

ec3.jpg

I personally would not put subs in a cabinet like that. Can’t

say for sure but I’m going to guess you will get loud vibrations at certain frequencies.

Also emo subs are probably descent for the price but in your set up I would get

something that digs lower to match with the 7s

• Moderators

I personally would not put subs in a cabinet like that. Can’t
say for sure but I’m going to guess you will get loud vibrations at certain frequencies.

At my previous house, I didn't have room for a sub so I had my Velodyne CT-100 inside the cabinet and I never noticed any vibrations since it was front slotted. If your sub is rear ported, I would be more concerned with it as it probably will not sound that well.

I didn't think to try and do any custom grills, just took the entire door off. LOL

Front.JPG

Velodyne_Sub%20%281%29.JPG

The top shelf is already curving under its load. You will need to replace it with something sturdier... much sturdier.

I would think a sub in the cabinet would shake the whole thing to bits, unless it's sealed and the driver is in front.

the subs, whatever i get will either be front ported/slotted or sealed and will be at the front of the cabinet. There should be no resonance because no waves should be entering the chamber. I may be building my own sub enclosures but at that, i dont have a ton of money to dump into subs. I could do just one nicers one but i would prefer two, will have to see how things go.

As far as the shelf bowing, the center is no concentrated weight in one place. The center is rigid and should spread the load further out on the shelf helping to prevent bowing, or atleast i hope it will. I will have to test.

The goal now is just to get everything setup haha. The room has a cathedral ceiling, historically the acoustics are meh in there but we will see.

the subs, whatever i get will either be front ported/slotted or sealed and will be at the front of the cabinet. There should be no resonance because no waves should be entering the chamber. I may be building my own sub enclosures but at that, i dont have a ton of money to dump into subs. I could do just one nicers one but i would prefer two, will have to see how things go.

As far as the shelf bowing, the center is no concentrated weight in one place. The center is rigid and should spread the load further out on the shelf helping to prevent bowing, or atleast i hope it will. I will have to test.

The goal now is just to get everything setup haha. The room has a cathedral ceiling, historically the acoustics are meh in there but we will see.

It’s only a best guess but with those glass doors and all

the stuff on the shelves it probably won’t matter what type of sub you get sealed

or front ported. Bass waves are non-directional so the whole room gets pressurized.

Ill guess those glass doors will probably vibrate anyways but how much will

depend on sub placement. most subs vibrate unless it’s a sub that’s designed to

cancel out vibrations(like epik subs but they won’t fit in there) If money is

tight I would agree 2 subs are better than one but another option would be to

get 1 mid-priced sub now then another one down the road. If I would have taken

that advice I would have saved a good amount of money. You have had good luck buying used so far so that

might be a good place to start for a sub. No disrespect to the emo subs but there

not even in the same league as your rf-7 set up. I know coming from no subs

anything will seem like a huge improvement but just giving you advice from my

many mistakes.

[:D]

a sub would definitly be beneficial, the rf-7's really only shine when the volume is turned up with their extra tight bass at higher volumes. Right now space is a constraint. If i bought emo subs i would keep them for bedroom or other 2 channel setups. I would really like 15's but i have to do some research. I am just really curious about how the emo 12's will perform.

a sub would definitly be beneficial, the rf-7's really only shine when the volume is turned up with their extra tight bass at higher volumes. Right now space is a constraint. If i bought emo subs i would keep them for bedroom or other 2 channel setups. I would really like 15's but i have to do some research. I am just really curious about how the emo 12's will perform.

They (emo sub) got a great review on Audioholics, but they

seem to gush over everything emo puts out. If you feel that the subs won’t go

to waste if and when you did upgrade then I guess trying them can’t hurt.

At $500 I would look at what else is out there epik

makes a 2 12” (epik legend) for same price and if you buy 2 you get $100 off so

2 for 900. I have the big brother (Epik Empire) just an amazing sub for

$800 just as good as the 1400 svs sub I have.

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/speakers/subwoofers/ultra-12

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&sqi=2&ved=0CB4QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.epiksubwoofers.com%2F&ei=Z2DpTcDAGuPt0gG1haW8AQ&usg=AFQjCNFpHqlLSqhm0KlN7UfEVTlAlqpjCg

i did look at epik before but since they are side firing subs, my cabinet desires wouldnt be fulfilled. The emo subs are on sale right now 2 for 800 and free shipping. I think i am going to pull the triger in the next 10 days or so. Have to see how some of the gear i have sells and then i get my sec deposit back on my dept like a month later which would cover the purchase.