Home Theatre Mods

JasonJCarney

Well I have posted pictures of my HT previous in the "let's see your home theatre" thread. But I'll start my own little thread just to have the originals and updates all together. So these are Synergy F-3 fronts and F-2 surrounds with a c-3 center and Sub12. Also note the early 20's age group "pleather" apartment couchs.[Y] I apoligize for the low quality pictures. They are all from my iphone. My wife allows me to do anything I want to the mancave home theatre but not so much when it comes to gaining access to her beloved camera[8o|]

Original pics:

basement

basement

basement

The above is my third set of Klipsch speakers and the original photo's I uploaded

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Willland,

Thanks. I can tell you that my biggest "oh shxx that sounds awesome" moment came when I switched from my rc52ii to the rc64ii. Got this smile on my face that I could wipe off[:D]! I have a few more pics to post and I am in the process of moving my AVR to a new cabinet so I have yet to run the initial setup on all the new equipment. When that is done I am guessing it will sound great.

Willland,

Thanks. I can tell you that my biggest "oh shxx that sounds awesome" moment came when I switched from my rc52ii to the rc64ii. Got this smile on my face that I could wipe offBig Smile! I have a few more pics to post and I am in the process of moving my AVR to a new cabinet so I have yet to run the initial setup on all the new equipment. When that is done I am guessing it will sound great.

The rc-64ii is amazing I can tell you that you get that same

smile when you hear the rf-7ii. (At least I do) I’m sure the rf-63s sound good

also.

[:D]

lol... well I said from the first time I laid eyes on the 63's that they are just too deep for my room. They sound great but the right side is in the middle of my walkway into the room and the left one is firing into a couch. I would like something less deep. I plan on taking the rf62ii's off the market if the 63's sell. If the 62ii's sell first then I will get some proper surrounds and use the 63's until they sell. I could not resist the sweet deal I got on the 63's at the time and everyone speaks so highly of them. Everyone also happens to be right. The 63's sound great but alas attempts to move my HT to the attic space (35x12) have failed and I am dealing with the room I have (essentially 11x12 if you don't count the staircase). You can see the issues im these photos.

IMG_6271.jpg

this is my f-3's which are 3 inches less deep than the 63's and you can see just how minimal the walkway is anyway. I don't have a picture of the 63 in place with the new couch. The left channel with a 63 in place is 2 inches off the new couch. The spacing with the f-3 and old couch is fine but the new couch is longer. You can see from the previous pictures where my left surround is located. If I change it from a floor stander to a bookshelf and hang it from the wall I can slide my couch all the way to the rear wall which would allow for more clearence between the couch and front left channel. I will get pics up of the new couch and that should explain it further.

If the 63's sell I will keep the 62ii's as fronts and get bookshelf surrounds. If the 62ii's and the 63's sell I will get the7ii's! lol I honestly don't need improved quality but the 7ii's are super pretty and would match my 64ii perfectly. The 7ii's being 3 inches less deep than the 63's and sliding my couch back to the rear wall (by going with RB's as surrounds) would allow for plenty of space I think.

Looky what FEDEX brought me a few weeks ago. They sound amazing but they are huge. So deep for my room that I put them up for sale at one point. Now I have custom cabinets made that took care of the size issue. Those photo's to come.

1307842160.jpg

1307837985.jpg

boxes were beat up but the product was well packaged and damage free.

1307840543.jpg

This was the placement I bought them for. Unfortunately again they are too deep for my room. They sound great where they are but they just take up too much of my floor space. I moved them to the corners of the room and while that helped a little with floor space issues I could help but feel like they lost a little something by firing them into the couches.

1306385025.jpg

1306393982.jpg

So here is what I have been working on this past week. Just finished adding the final touch today. Put a 3/4 oak veneer on the edge of my sub shalf and stained to match. I have only been able to watch 2 movies with this current setup but have yet to run my audyssey.

You have seen pictures of my rear wall. It has the projector countersunk into it, and now my subs are as well. I will be using the cabinets for my AVR when I get my monoprice cables in. The whole project cost me around $200. I had the tools already and did all the work myself...including lifting the giant subs into place![;)] Probably 20-25 hours total. My contractor said she would do it for $500 per cabinet....the saving were well worth the work. Plus I know it is up to my standards. You know what they say about wanting something done right.[Y]

1307691863.jpg

Just removed the stud and installed my cross bracing 2x4.

1307691845.jpg

1307691936.jpg

Now both side are framed up.

1307691905.jpg

Now suddenly a "hole" new world has opened up! You can see the cabinet on the floor to the right.

1307691972.jpg

This is the cabinets installed from the back.

1307692052.jpg

One more

1307692075.jpg

Now a view from the front with the cabinets installed but empty.

1307692070.jpg

I used a thin layer of foam between the sub cabinet and the shelf it sits on. I originally wanted to use the feet the sub comes with but my measurment was off by 1/8 inch and I was forced to remove the 1/2 feet off the sub to fit them. incase your wondering I have not noticed any rattling. I took the time to put the same foam inbetween all my metal on wood bracket connections and on the 2x4 support in the cutout. Also used screws and glue for the cabinet to (cross my fingers) no vibrations to follow.

1307692232.jpg

Subs installed

1307692229.jpg

1307692187.jpg

This one has no sub in it yet...screwed up the order of the pics sorry.

1307692016.jpg

1307692185.jpg

Trim installed

1307732009.jpg

1307732039.jpg

1307732053.jpg

1307732078.jpg

1307732088.jpg

My SR608 that I am using to power my fronts for now...until I decide if I need an amp.

1307732193.jpg

This is where my NR3007 will go. It is about 18-20 from it's former spot so my wiring is going to take a little time. Placed an order for longer cable and other odd's and end's from monoprice but it's not here yet. I chose this shelf vs the closer one because I have walking access to the front of the AVR. I figured it would make things easier on me in the long run.

1307732198.jpg

1307732217.jpg

These pictures do not show the veneer I used to cover the edge of the sub shelf. I'll take some of that later.

• Moderators

Wow Jason! Very nicely done. I never would have thought to put subs up high on a wall. The trim looks great around the cutouts and those subs look intimidating.

Do you have any ventilation for the projector? With the back being enclosed, I would guess that it might generate a descent amount of heat. Adding a small fan might be a good idea.

Curious how your rear surrounds sound with them not facing towards the back of your listening area.

Now which surrounds are you talking about? The high rears (little hd300's)? Those are actually angled ever so slightly off the rear wall as seen in this photo. Again these are the issues I have had working with this room. I actually thought about countersinking a pair of RB's directly behind the couch about 6 inches above the couch as my rear surrounds. THX says that they should be placed behind the seating area but since my seating is up against the wall I have no real choice. maybe remove the high rears and go front high but that is not really reccomended either.

IMG_6246.jpg

If your talking about my floorstanding surrounds then I can say they sound great where they are. I basically want to turn those into bookshelf size speakers and hang them from the rear wall but oriented in the same manner at which they are now. I can't really use true RS speakers because the right surround does not sit in a corner. My stairs add another 4 feet of space under them and I would mount the RB directly under my high rear surround (about 3 feet under it).

Do you have any ventilation for the projector? With the back being enclosed, I would guess that it might generate a descent amount of heat. Adding a small fan might be a good idea.

I did ask the question a while back about adding a small computer type/size fan to the back of my projector cabinet. Never got around to doing it but it may becoming down the road. The projector I have (Epson UB8500) is actually front vented. So while the heat is not an issue for the projector itself it does become an issue for the occupants of the room (me[:D]) in the summer at the end of a long gaming session or double feature movie night! lol There is no ventilation in the room at all. I run a dehumidifier and an air filter so the air quality is not bad but the heat can get uncomfortable in the summer. With the new cabinets I have added some open air areas to the rest of the basement but I have also brought my AVR (x2) back into the room so I'm sure heat will again be an issue during the summer. I am thinking of adding 1 small fan to each of the AVR shelves pulling air out of the room. What combo do you think I should go with? 1 small fan pushing air in from under the stairs and 2 on the new cabinet pulling it out? Maybe an intake in the back of the projector since it is front vented anyway and 2 discharges on the AVR shelves? Filter's would be added to the intake (or supply) fan as well so I'm sure to get dust free air. hmmm sounds like a cheap fix to the heat problem with a little thinking and elbow grease.

Another thought is to remove the back panel of the projector cabinet and replace it with some type of filter medium that would allow some minimal airflow but still keep the dust out. At any rate I need to put some kind of cover over the rear of the AVR cabinet to keep basement dust out while still allowing enough airspace for the Onkyo's to keep cool as well as allowing some minimal space for wiring.

First thing very nice job! I’m sure you put plenty of man hours into

those projects and it looks great. As youth said I don’t think I would have

ever thought of that type of sub set up but it looks great, and in that size

room I’m sure it sounds great. It’s hard to keep track what speakers you have

all had down there but one thing I will say as far as surrounds goes. If you haven’t

tried the RS line yet even in a set up like that with one on the side wall and

the other on a stand (or both on stands) on the other side the rs-52 or rs-62

would imo outperform bookshelf speakers. Even though I’m sure the RB line would

still sound good. I think with a non-direct speaker (RSline) in a smaller room you

will gain a bigger more spacious sound with the RS line I wouldn’t go smaller

than the rs-52 I have owned the 42, 52, and 62.