What defines room size

endover

Hey Gang,

I keep reading stuff on "large" room and "small" rooms and such for things like the THX certification. What actually defines room sizes? My family room (where music and HT happen) is 20 x 22 with an 8 ft ceiling (3,520 cu ft)...is that considered small or large (is there such a thing as a "medium" sized room)?

Great question, I had wonder the same as you have asked. Our own room is 14' x 20' with 8' ceilings. Electronics and 46" LCD are together on a 14' wall along with a pair of Forte's and a KLF C7 speaker. In a month or two plan to add and additional a pair of Hersey I's too serve as rear speakers.

So do I have small or medium size room. Also wonder if my speakers will be overwhelming for the size. Welcome input from our knowledgeable family.

This site has all the info for THX certified room size: http://www.thx.com/consumer/home-entertainment/home-theater/thx-certification-performance-categories/

Small Room:

THX I/S Plus Systems

Certified Systems (AV Receiver + Speaker Bundle) have the power to fill a small home theater or dorm room where the viewing distance from the screen is 6-8 feet.

Medium Room:

THX Select2

THX Select2 Certified products are for medium sized rooms, up to 2,000 cubic feet in size, with a 10-12 foot viewing distance from the screen.

Large Room:

THX Ultra2

THX Ultra2 Certified products bring the cinematic experience to larger home theaters, 3,000 cubic feet in size, with a viewing distance of 12 feet or greater from the screen.

I think anything with greater than 4000 cubic feet is a small commercial-sized venue, but I'm not sure about that. So, both of you have a large room and if you want to have a "THX Certified" room, you need to have all Ultra 2 certified products.

That's great info and makes total sense concerning my room. We sit approx 12 feet from the TV. So...let me redirect my own thread a bit then... The Onkyo TX-NR709 that I'm look at is THX Select 2 certified (which means I can't really afford the next level up). I know that doesn't mean the sound will suck but what does that mean if I use that receiver in a room that's my size. My Chorus II's fill the room very well with my HK7200 right now which is 2004 vintage and is NOT THX certifiied.

It means that the Onkyo doesn't have the correct power rating to fill your room with sound to the THX standard with THX Ultra II speakers. However, the THX Select II standard amp must have enough wpc to power ANY THX speaker to that level, but most will not be as efficient as a Klipsch. Because Klipsch speakers are so efficient, you don't need as much power to get them really humming. Basically, your Chorus II's will outperform other models that THX calls Select II standard certified and you are likely to have a wonderful sounding system. If you find that your speakers are not providing an adequate level of sound due to the large room size, you can always add an external amp and up the power to a THX Ultra II level.

I have good news for you, THX is a certification that the company making a product pays for so they can stamp it on the machine and charge you more money. There should be plenty of machines out there that could qualify for thx cert but don't pay for it to be certified, same goes for speakers.

I have good news for you, THX is a certification that the company making a product pays for so they can stamp it on the machine and charge you more money. There should be plenty of machines out there that could qualify for thx cert but don't pay for it to be certified, same goes for speakers.

This is correct...I enjoy the THX function on my receiver. I think it sounds the best when watching movies. I would not buy any equipment based solely on THX certification, and I could really care less if any of my speakers are THX certified. What THX should be used for: giving you an idea of what size of speakers or wpc you want for a great movie experience, and a "guaruntee" some standard of quality for a paticular use. Also, I used the THX website to help me understand speaker placement.

• Moderators

Also wonder if my speakers will be overwhelming for the size.

Ha that's funny, it's a misconception it can't happen. [:P] imo, although I am the wrong person to ask that, well most here are the same.

NO they will be fine is the real answer, to me until you get to a small bedroom size those would be fine.

It's just the opposite, you will know quickly when there to small for a room. I had some bookshelf synergys with the proper center and rears in a 12 x 16 room and they sounded great, we added on, including a bigger living room 18 x 24 open to a kitchen and dining room and the same speakers and sub just did not do nearly as well. It just didn't fill the room anywhere close to make me happy, we eventually moved up in speaker size a bit, or 20 , and fixed the problem. [Y]

I think some of the THX stuff is [bs], if it weren't it would be more specific, you could probably pay them and they would say it's THX approved.