Finally made myself buy a new Comp.....

I solved my long running computer issues today by finally just replacing the whole machine. I ended up
with a new Lenovo desktop.....it's incredible how inexpensive computers
are these days, and after over 10 years with the previous machines I
milked about all I could from them. They cost enough back in the day,
and I was determined to get all I could out of them. My prior issues were in part due to just too old of equipment, but computers are one of those fast depreciation items I tend to not want to replace often (I get soooo much bang for the buck with Heritage). But I gave up (and
in) today and finally got a new one. And in this household that's a bit
of news.

Here's hoping I don't have to fight with this one as much
as I did the other two.......if I have reasonable success, I might even
get a laptop - considering the asking prices these days.

Oh, and
gave Klipsch a bit more business on a set of Promedias. Jesus, didn't
Klpsch realize that most people sit next to the computer and system when
they built those? LOL........Holy LOUD[8-|]

Cool!!

Lenovo's had a bad rep for a long time; post later about how the Lenov works out for you.

Cool

It was hard to know what to buy. It's a purchase I've been needing to make for a while now (old comps 11 and 13 years old respectively), and read too much information about. It got to be a "blur" trying to figure out who really is "BEST" - there's HP, Dell, Asus, Gateway, Sony, Lenovo....hard to tell 'em apart besides obvious posted specs/features and some written reviews. So when push came to shove, I ended up buying a mid-priced ($500) tower that seemed to review OK - at least WRT operation and feature set - 8 gig RAM, 1 TB hard drive, Intel i3 processor. Gave consideration to Apple, but couldn't swing the higher prices for those, and even played around with some Linux stuff in recent weeks, but had to have a new box anyway.

I would feel more comfortable seeking out matched sets of vintage tubes than buying a comp. I've had better luck with the former, and have more confidence in that area. Comps are a bit of a mental crapshoot for me, but so far it seems to work well. Compared to my old machines and work computers this thing's a racehorse. So we'll see.....

Please refrain from any more "bullet" talk................................................................................

Apologies.....did I miss something here? Anyway, I did attempt to change my subject header in an attempt to "keep the peace", and haven't been here much lately, so if I stepped into something blatently obvious to everyone else I didn't mean to antagonize. It's more of a self perceived non-desire to give Bill Gates any more money (which I swore I would never do), but giving in to that is better than no comp.

At any rate, no offense intended[:)]

You didn't do anything wrong. Your title is perfectly acceptable. Btw I know comps can b a super pain in the butt. I am upgrading mine right now. Late advice to tell u to build one yourself especially since u probably won't get another one for 10 years! Lol. But building a tower from parts is about the same price as buying a prebuilt Dell or hp but u can get a better pc and save money in the long run by replacing or upgrading bits and pieces as u need them instead of buying a whole new tower. Although like I said if your replacing once every 10 years then you probably made the right choice. Good luck and enjoy the speedy new processor.

Please refrain from any more "bullet" talk................................................................................

Apologies.....did I miss something here? Anyway, I did attempt to change my subject header in an attempt to "keep the peace", and haven't been here much lately, so if I stepped into something blatently obvious to everyone else I didn't mean to antagonize. It's more of a self perceived non-desire to give Bill Gates any more money (which I swore I would never do), but giving in to that is better than no comp.

At any rate, no offense intendedSmile

None taken. It was my attempt at humor. I had a thread locked that pertained to shotguns.

You didn't do anything wrong. Your title is perfectly acceptable. Btw I know comps can b a super pain in the butt. I am upgrading mine right now. Late advice to tell u to build one yourself especially since u probably won't get another one for 10 years! Lol. But building a tower from parts is about the same price as buying a prebuilt Dell or hp but u can get a better pc and save money in the long run by replacing or upgrading bits and pieces as u need them instead of buying a whole new tower. Although like I said if your replacing once every 10 years then you probably made the right choice. Good luck and enjoy the speedy new processor.

I gave a lot of thought to having one built (which I would have to do as I might go hairless doing it myself). Still might do that if I decide I'm missing anything after using this one for a year or so, which will allow the hi-def video end of things to get fully developed too.

Given the pressure to "do something" to keep in a working computer, it seemed to make more sense to just get a new box, which gives me one number to call for issues, as opposed to trying to figure out how to properly integrate all of those parts.

If I knew a "NOSValves" of computer building, I would go that route - and still might in the future if I get another box. Given that this one was only $500 (and my last one in the late 90's was 3K), it's not the end of the world if I do this again in a year or two - in fact, this new box might well be a great intermediate step to get more familiar with the new platforms, and better understand what I might do with a future "ultimate box". This one is already a huge improvement.

At any rate, no offense intendedSmile

None taken. It was my attempt at humor. I had a thread locked that pertained to shotguns.

Ahhhh - got it. I did wonder if I had unknowingly stepped in a steaming pile of goo, or what missed/unseen explanation existed - and knowing this forum and my spotty recent attendance that's always a possibility[:)]