Just pulled the trigger! 2 Emotiva Ultra Sub 12's!

SuBXeRo

My heart is pounding, i decided to pull the trigger. I figure the stuff i am selling on crigslist will sell eventually and i will just use that to help out the bank account. As of now i can basically pay for one so the other will come in time. At 400 a piece i think its great! I cant wait!!!!!!!!!!

i had looked at both ED and SVS but with the deal emotiva is having i decided to pull the trigger on them. Aside from the deal i have been itching to try out the emotiva subs anyways. Itll be a few week before i can get a review up since all my HT has to arrive. In the mean time i can ready the space for my equipment placement.

I did have some trouble deciding whether or not to get 1 big sub or 2 smaller and i decided to go with 2 smaller to try and balance things out. If i was to get 1 big sub i wouldnt have anywhere to place it for good performance so the emo subs will do great. The svs and ED subs would have hfit as well but i read mixed things about ED and nothing bad about emo. It really just came down to price, free shipping and just something i plain wanted to try our for along time. I ordered XLR connector cables and splitters last night as well in preparation!

i just got the subs in today and i set them up. I have an HK stereo receiver and 2 boston acoustics connected to the tv which wil be replaced by my full setup when it arrives.

Initial impression was that the boxes were decently heavy but not really as heavy as expected. The subs were packed very well, emotiva has done a rather great job at designing packaging on all of the products I have purchased. The subs themselves are wrapped in a very nice cloth make them relatively easy to remove from the box. The studio lacquer and rounded edges make them very aestetically pleasing to the eye. I was also expecting the subs themselves to weigh more than they did. My guess is that the enclosure is maybe made of 1/2" mdf versus 3/4" or 1" mdf. I have built sub enclosures before and i never used less then 3/4" just to help vibration reduction. I did notice some vibration in the enclosure but this is just an initial experience, it could be the floor shaking as well so this is not a finite observation just an initial one, further tests will be conducted.

I have done some music listening as well as a movie being harry potter. Nothing is really tuned right, HPF was at 80hz and gain was on the lower side. The bass is tight and acurate and definitly has depth to it. I havent tested stuff that was terribly deep in bass or very dynamic or lfe heavy movie wise but they are peforming quit well together. The room is about 20' x 25' and i will say, 2 subs make everything sound balanced and brings the proper amount of bass response to the room. I'd say 1 would definitly get you buy if you had a tight budget and wanted good bass. 2 in this size room is great especially since it has a 15' cathedral ceiling.

THe subs are also infront of the cab doors that will be removed and they will be placed inside of them This will hopefullyopen up the sound stage more by letting things breathe a bit. The true test will come when everything is hooked up and organized properly. I will be testing with tron i think as my first movie on the system. Muhahahaaha

US1.jpg

us2.jpg

us3.jpg

Sub,

Congrats. I have been enjoying my Ultra12 for almost 9 months now.

I believe once you get them tuned right (I suggest starting with 60hz Xover once your Klipsch speakers arrive), and placement correct; you will be impressed.

I have one; and my room is about 20W X 10L X 9H.

Let us know how you like them after you have broken them in and dialed them in..... [:D]

congrats!

the Emo sub is really musical. i really like my 10 when i had it.

just a head up though, quite a few folks have had their amp died and sent back for repair, great thing Emo has 5yr warranty as my amp die about a year later. i sold my Emo 10 a few months back and decided to build 4x 15" sealed subs.

congrats!

the Emo sub is really musical. i really like my 10 when i had it.

just a head up though, quite a few folks have had their amp died and sent back for repair, great thing Emo has 5yr warranty as my amp die about a year later. i sold my Emo 10 a few months back and decided to build 4x 15" sealed subs.

The 5 year warranty is what sold me.

I am close to a year and not one issue.....

Emotiva backs their products; so I am not concerned a bit.......

the finish on the subs is great, i was expecting a much higher gloss finish than what came and was very happy with the style tht came. I wanted gloss but the extra low gloss they chose was perfect IMO, a very finished look without bring a ton of attention to them.

Th warranty i guess was in the back of my head, i forgot that it was a 5 year warranty. That is a great perk. Im theory on electronics is that if its going to break, it usually does so within the first year of use. Well, 5 years is great especially if some peopls amps have died after the 1 year mark. I think that emo is still young and learning and their products will only be more stable and rock solid as the company ages.

I plan to throw the subs into bypass mode since the UMC-1 has its own crossover controls. That'll be nice since they will be in a cabinet and i dont want to take them out more than i have to. I believe once my system arrives and they get dialed in, things will be great.

Ironsave, i will try that 60hz crossover, i have things at 80hz right now but with the dual 10's in the 7's and keeping them full range, i think i could get away with a 60hz crossover integration. I am very excited. Things arent what i was expecting but i can't and i won't say that i am disappointed thus far.

More testing to come, i think i will be moving the subs into their new homes today! I also have to change the center of the tv cabinet, i need to remove the rear panel or rather cut it open to fit the xpa-5 and umc-1 and not have cords get crunched.

Sub,

Your RF7s get even lower the my H 1s can, so you might do well with a 50hz x-over.... Again.... your ears will decide.

For the little Bostons; 80 or even 100hz is probably the way to go.

Once you get your main setup there and up; consider trying "large/full" and "small/crossed":

(I run the Heresey Is "small" crossed at 60hz. Remember the "small" designation is misleading. I am not sure if the Emotiva stuff classifies those settings similarly. I get better response by letting the sub do the work the Heresey Is can't. The RF7s can get much lower, but try both formulas; you might be surprised; especially for music).....

I too, am bypassing the sub's x-over and using my HK receiver's setting.

There is an older pic (still with my Onkyo) attached, but you can get the idea of my setup.

Excited for ya!

Did you get the Heresy refurbs sold yet? If not; for giggles; you should try them in 2 channel with that sub with your favorite music.

You might be surprised..... (once again).....

Good Luck!

post-14727-13819657667006_thumb.jpg

I never sold the heresys, i couldnt unload em before i left. Ill try and sell them here in nj but i will try them out in 2 channel before i do that.

I will mess with the settings, emo doesnt have any large/small settings so i just work with it from there. When you activate the sub crossover it send the lfe to the sub and i suppose "makes small" the tower signals automatically, i think atleast from my experience.

Today i put the subs in the cabinet, i have to make grills to give it a finished look and make some new backs possibly if you can see through the grills. So far the soundhas even distro, there is no perfect listening position in this room so sub placement isnt a top priority, we also dont have enough room to really have a sub sticking out in the middle of no where.

I took the grillsoff of the bostons....the surround on the left channel has a hole and is degrading, if you touch it, th surround breaks more. It is extremely fragile, what a terible material they used. +1 for klipsch for using good materials.

us4.jpg

us5.jpg

us6.jpg

us7.jpg

us8.jpg

per emotiva, the sub cones are made of a material similar to that of used in bullet proof vests, supposed to be light and stiff and able to stand uo to abuse so to speak. So far so good, i have tapped on them, very stiff, time will tell

To produce a driver that can withstand sub frequencies such a sub driver, the driver has to be rigid. If the driver is made crappy, it will fail. Regardless or children and pets, a cone will get damaged because of an outside force acted upon it. There is no magic cone to prevent damage, if there was, everyone would make botgh speakers and subs out of it. I will stand behind the butly surrounds though. As a surround, i prefer butly, it works well and stands up to heat. My alpine type r surrounds stood up to the heat in NJ and AZ summers. Plain and simple though, circling back, a cheap coned material will lead to cone failure. Many, Many cones are made of paper composites, it is a good material as is aluminium. Aluminum from reasearch can yield a tinny sound where as paper doesnt leave a resonate sound....I havent noticed this will the klipsch spealkers i have owned.....if i had i wouldnt have kept them. Im assuming this was observed with the first cones mades of aluminim or other cheap brands that used aluminum. A positive note with klipsch is they are ceramic cover aluminum, this could be heling deny a tinny sound...No matter what they sound awesomeQ

moral of the story, keep your shit away from pets or kids....there is a chance it will get ruined otherwise....Murphys law

SO far these subs are great My next review will be in 2 to 3 weeks from now when the full system arrives.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to interupt a thread but....

I am in the market for a home theater stand and noticed yours (Ironsave). I think it's the one I am looking at purchasing. Is it a Bello? I know the following isn't the right finish but is it it? What are your thought/opinions about it? I see you have a 52" and I have a 50", I would use the extension like you, but to me I have questions about sucha big TV on it despite its weight rating. Is it solid? Please e-mail chad_vh@yahoo.com or ragingalcoholics@yahoo.com Thank you

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Bell'O+-+TV+Stand+with+Swivel+Mount+for+Flat-Panel+TVs+Up+to+52%22/9245195.p?id=1218066768930&skuId=9245195&st=bello&cp=1&lp=1

• 1 month later...