Need Advice on Pre-Amp

I have a pair of MC-30's and a pair of Klipsch Belles but my old Onkyo pre-amp went up in smoke and down the river. I primarily listen to vinyl and some Cd's ...mostly 60's-70's rock...a little prewar Jazz and Big band. Any suggestions for a good amp to paired-up with these compnents? Thanks all...

There are lots of great preamps to choose from in addition to the above. One thing that would be very helpful though is to know if you are interested in a Tube or SS preamp. Also a working budget would narrow things down a lot. There is no need to recommend a $2K preamp if your budget is $500. New or used would also help a lot!

Sorry to leave out important info....

Would like a tube pre-amp to go with the MC-30s ...probably something vintage. One nice fellow suggested a pair of Mcintosh C-8s but the $3000 price did pass my budget mark...I think, hope to get something in the $2K range but if that is unreasonable in todays market I'll just have to adjust price or my requirements (:-)

The answer is very simply just do lots of shopping and be patient the right deal will present itself.

McIntosh C-11, C20 or C-21 !!! Don't let all the internet BS get in your way of the truth any of these 3 tube preamps will work very well and sound very similar. The electrical differences inside are miniscule. Keep in mind that sooner or later they will require a complete overhaul to get the most out of them but you can budget that in down the road!

Personally, on my short list would be the Mc C220, C2200 or C2300. They still have great phono sections, and you won't have to worry about refurbishing them or have them eat up the tubes. The C220 can be found from $2500-$3000 IIRC.

The answer is very simply just do lots of shopping and be patient the right deal will present itself.

McIntosh C-11, C20 or C-21 !!! Don't let all the internet BS get in your way of the truth any of these 3 tube preamps will work very well and sound very similar. The electrical differences inside are miniscule. Keep in mind that sooner or later they will require a complete overhaul to get the most out of them but you can budget that in down the road!

Craig speaks the truth here. I would add one other very good preamp option - the MX110 (similar to C11 with an excellent tuner included). The C11, C20, C22, and MX110 all make great preamps for MC30s, and I say this as the owner of two pairs of operating MC30s.The synergy between these pieces are unmatched - they fit each other hand and glove.

The vintage Mac preamps are very good on tubes, too - I've seen a number of these preamps loaded with Tele 12AX7 that test like new ones do. You might burn through two sets of 'em during a typical 80 year human life.

The collective tonality exhibited by these gears is a sound to behold - especially when given proper electrical rework. One of the truly best rigs in audio history. I have newer tube based gears as well (NOSValves VRDs with JM pre in a 6 channel HT rig, which exhibits superb transparency) but the vintage Macs are unique. Having both gives me just about everything I want in the sonic palette.