Chorus upgrades?

Are there any upgrades for the chorus for more bass?

Im so spoiled having cornwalls, i almost feel like i lost half the bass!

I think the woofers in the chorus are so stiff, it forbids them to produce a good low end, bass i can hear that no one else can!

So i have the bass turned to +4 on my outlaw, if i did this with the corns id break a window!

I like the chorus, and got a great 2 pair, but i lost some of the excitement, punch i liked the most!

I was thinking of getting 6 inch PVC and tune the ports, to see if that would improve the low end!

I can hear the difference between the 38 and 45 HZ reigon!

These woofers are twice as stiff as the K-33-E!

Or maybe its just that i have to get used to the difference in sound!

The magnet on the K-48 is almost 10 inches round i couldnt believe it!

Also i think my room might be to small for even these, but i refuse to go even lower in the Klipsch line!

The chorus just about have the same drivers as the cornwall 2s!

I havent turned the bass up for 8 years this is weird!

I still like these a lot, and wouldnt trade back, for my corns due to size!

They sound great with the bass up 2 notches!

Will chorus owners recommend placement, corners, side by side, front to back ETC!

Regards Jim

Outlaw 1050

chorus 1 fronts

chorus 1 fronts

academy center

KLF-C7 rear center

RS-32s rear

pyramid amp fronts

dynaco 120 amp rears

dynaco 120 amp front, and rear center

Zenith DVD

Harman Kardon HD 7325 CD player

Teac A-4010 reel to reel

Sony flatscreen trinitron 27 inch

98 DVDs

934 CDs

1 beer

FAR OUT

This message has been edited by Jim Cornell on 04-26-2002 at 09:28 AM

Based on your initial comments, I think that my HT will be best served with the recently acquired Chorus pair as surrounds (5.1 setup). My Cornwall II's are mains - I intend to move the Chorus in as mains to test them out a little. The repair on my one Chorus is supposed to be finished today (in for repair of broken binding post), so I'll report how it goes when that happens.

To improve the bass on the Chorus, try corner placement. Otherwise, add big subbage when you canSmile.gif

------------------

First we Rock, then we Roll!

A Beast is Lurking.........To be unleashed May 2002

The difference isnt as drastic as i might have made it sound!

The problem here is the efficeincy, the woofer isnt as efficient as the top end on the chorus!

The chorus woofers are 4 ohms!

I dont know who makes the woofer for the chorus, but ill toss it around as a emenence 400 watt woofer!

Looking at the magnets!

All 4 chorus bring out the bass im missing with the cornwalls, but as far as single paring goes i lost a lot of bass!

I have the bass turned up to 4 on the outlaw, and these kick ***!

But no question about it, im building a set of cornwalls!

I should install the K33-E in one chorus just to see what happens LOL!

BOOM?

I dont think id want to install a 8ohm woofer in a 4ohm woofer set up!

IM NOT REALLY DOING THAT Lol!

The way my hearing is id love to help Klipsch design speakers, work for them doing this!

I have all 4 chorus on right now and at +4 on the bass there kicking ***!

I can build a single 8inch woofer enclosure, and make it sound like 2 15s!

If i desinged these chorus, i would of put the ports on the back sides instead of the fronts, and also would of tuned them instead of just a cut out hole!

A couple years back i midified a set of KG 5.5s to keep up with my cornwalls!

And they did, but i sold them, and took out the mod!

Im not toying with the chorus, ill keep them original, i think this room size is effecting them, 15X 15!

Regards Jim

Jim, I think you are right about the front port. It tends to cancel some output of the woofer and would be best served on the rear. Is there some sort of baffle on the inside, built over the port, running the full width and most of the way back from the motorboard, that would prevent some of the equilization of pressure from occurring? I'm not familiar with the inside of the 1's, so I ask. I have 2's with a similar problem so I removed the rear "firing" passive radiator and installed a 2nd woofer wired out of phase with the 1'st. They both have double the impedance of the original so ultimately look the same to the crossover.

I DO have 2 15" woofers in EACH box. I got the idea while reading about output from the JBL 4836 bass unit's with the twin 15" drivers in them that others have purchased. I knew I had a slightly different setup with one front firing, the other rear and no ports. The problem, I surmised, was the short stroke of the woofer and it's non-linearity when presented with having to push and pull the passive radiator. The one in the front was replaced and an IDENTICAL one installed in the passive radiator position. They are wired out of phase(ONE WOOFER IN THE REAR IS HOOKED IN PARALLEL TO THE ONE IN THE FRONT BUT REVERSE POLARITY). Their impedance is double the original's so they are, in effect, the same as the original, requiring no change to the crossover. I get a much more linear stroking woofers so MUCH cleaner sounding...and deeper. I am moving much more air. It theoretically eliminates the internal pressure since the same volume is pushing and pulling. B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L sounding and effortless!!!!! You could try adding long tubes to the holes OR build a 3/4" baffle supported on the front and sides with 1x3's. It should get you more bass but probably not like what I've described to you with mine. Check out my reply to your post in General Questions for a link to a picture of what I'm talking about.cwm1.gif

This message has been edited by SOUNDJUNKIE on 04-27-2002 at 07:57 PM

Jim,

Just got the Chorus out of repair and hooked up. Yeah, there's a difference with the low end, but it's good and tight bass. Try corner placement if you haven't already - I got lower bass in my listening room from this. For a real improvement, think good subbageSmile.gif

I did a review in General Questions if you want to know more.

No need to nit pick 'em, just dig 'emcwm17.gif

------------------

First we Rock, then we Roll!

A Beast is Lurking.........To be unleashed May 2002

*** Alpha Testing Complete ***

• 3 weeks later...

I am very interested in more information about the poster that placed a 15 inch woofer in place of the passive radiator on the Chorus 2. I have been thinking about doing the same thing. Can someone please tell me if this is really a good idea or not? Any Klipsch rep want to jump in? It seems like it would make sense. But I worry about the fact that the whole point of a enclosure is to stop phase canceling from the rear output of the driver. It seems like this is what is happening when you put a woofer wired out of phase on the back of your Chorus 2. The passive radiator lags a bit behind the main woofer, and I have always guessed that that is how it does not cancel the front woofer's output.

Thanks for any information.

------------------

Sean Keegan

Klipsch Chorus IIs

Sony TA-E1000ES Pre-Amp

2 Mono 300W Sony

TA-N330ES Amplifiers (Front)

1 Sony TA-N330ES Amplifier (Rear)

Shank--If I understand correctly (and I'm not sure I do) I think Junkie wired the drivers electrically out of phase so that the one in front is sucking in as the one in back is pushing out. However I don't think this arrangement increases efficiency or output over using only 1 driver, it may be working as a di-pole with an attendant 6db bass rolloff at the cancellation frequency of the out of phase front and rear waves. Vented speaker design is a BIG can of worms and passive radiators work just like vents. One has to take into consideration box volume, vent volume (or passive moving mass), driver specs and anticipated performence in terms of both bass response and transient response. Evidently Junkie has turned his speakers into sealed boxes using 2-15" woofers but with the benefit of only 1. I would guess that the f3 has gone up or the efficiency has gone down, perhaps both. Unless Junkie has planned his mod very carefully Christ only knows what his speakers are actually doing.

Thanks TBrennan,

I think that this is more likely what is happening. The double woofer with the woofer reverse polarity so they are in sync is acting like a woofer without an enclosure, where the rear wave is canceling out the front wave at some frequencies. Which is probably not a good thing. Thanks for the response.

Regards,

Sean

------------------

Sean Keegan

Klipsch Chorus IIs

Sony TA-E1000ES Pre-Amp

2 Mono 300W Sony

TA-N330ES Amplifiers (Front)

1 Sony TA-N330ES Amplifier (Rear)