k-55 drivers that aren't rebuildable?

Sean C

I just picked up what appears to be a set of early Cornwalls, but the cabinet and crossover aren't similar to any I can find examples of.

The speakers sound just bad at the moment, but I'm sure I need to at least replace the crossover caps before evaluating them.

One of the mids doesn't work. It's a K-55 (with screw down posts) on a K1000 horn. I pulled the driver off (no gasket with the horn - never had one), and can't see how I could get at the diaphram. There aren't any screws holding it together. It looks like the metal base may have been pressed around the top. Are these unrepairable drivers? If so, which replacements would they share crossover points with?

p557349980-4.jpg

p884284911-3.jpg

Here is a link to larger pictures and to pictures of the unported Cornwall and it's K-1000-5000-W crossover. Were those common in Cornwalls? The speakers are #169 and 170, both with vertical tweets on the right.

http://www.seanpix.com/p159807800/h21387c5c#h2d87871d

make sure not to turn over the connectors because they are wired to the diagram below the surface and if they cut there is no way for soldering

the only one may have idea about this is Bob IMO... ask him... maybe you can cut the drivers body using a industrial saw and do the job on diagrams and then put it there and keep it steady using glue or screw or sth.

That is a University SAHF, parts have long
been unavailable (I called Klipsch in 1973 looking for a diaphragm and
they were not available then).

Ok, so now I know what I'll be either matching or changing the crossover from when I replace it. Given the rest of the speaker that may date my Cornwall to 1960(ish) since it's before the Atlas mids, and lacks bass ports. Thanks for the info!

Looks like small allen heads to get into that driver.

Upon further review they seem to be the back side of rivets.

p772170944-3.jpg

I'm probably wrong in this case but older cable boxes used screws that looked just like that. That hole is actually oblong and there is a tool (like a screw driver) that can go in there and loosen those screws.

Seems moot as the diaphragms aren't available.