Speakers matching with RF-82 II (front)

jfg02

I presently have two RF-82II that I use as front speakers, mainly in an audio combination.

Since I have a HT 7.1 receiver and that I want to use my system 60 % audio (listening to CDs and SA-CDs, 40 % HT, which speaker combination would be OK ?

- Tow RB-61 II

Two RB-81 II

- Two RS-62 (is that true that those bipolar speakers are prohibited in the listening of SACDs ?)

- Two other RF-82, if I have enough place (which is not the case for the moment, since the place needed would be around 9 feet from the listening position).

And would the RC-62 would be enough as center speaker ?

it is best to use two more rf82s (rb 81 price are almost the same as 82) if you have space otherwise rb-61s are ok. for centre RC-62

Thanks for your answer. Could you tell me if the RC-64 worth the price as a center channel speaker, instead of the 62 ? And, finally, would you go Klipsch as a sub-woofer ?

• Moderators

Could you tell me if the RC-64 worth the price as a center channel speaker, instead of the 62 ?

The 62 is a great speaker, but IMO, the 64 is in another league. Would I spend $1000 on it, probably not. I did pick mine up new when Klipsch was discontinuing the cherry 64 for $600. To me, it was definitely worth my $600 investment. Next to your sub, it is the single most important speaker in your HT.

And, finally, would you go Klipsch as a sub-woofer ?

That's up to you. Many guys around here use various non-Klipsch subs with great results. Velodyne, SVS, Epik, HSU and Elemental Designs all have great subs. You tend to get more bang for your buck with them over Klipsch subs.

well if you can get the rc-64 cheap then sure why not but like youth man say i wouldn't spend $1000 on rc 64 if I only have rf82s front unless rf83 or rf7 fronts. I use rc35 ($200) instead with my 4 rf82 and I can't really tell the different when compare to my friend rc62. I spend the extra money on emotiva xpa-5 :) now that make a different.

I have 2 Velodyne 12 inches ($250 each). sure you can go with klipsch sub ($350 each) but they are a bit more expensive already on sale in canada the us is cheap imo :(

I have 2 Velodyne 12 inches ($250 each). sure you can go with klipsch sub ($350 each) but they are a bit more expensive already on sale in canada the us is cheap imo :(

All right. Two questions for you guys. First, I would be able to get a SW-112 for 400 $ or to buy a Emotiva 12 Sub on their website for 429 $. The frequency response seems better on the emotiva ( 22Hz-200Hz) for a lower Power Output: 300 watts RMS, 500 watts peak. The Klipsch's frequency response is 26Hz-120Hz ± 3dB, for a power outpout of 300 watts RMS, 600 peak. I'm a newbee so...wich one would be appropriate ?

I spend the extra money on emotiva xpa-5 :)

Would I be able ton set my HK 3600 as a preamp (there is 8 preamp output, including the sub) and use a Emotiva XPA-5 as an amp ? I wonder if my HK3600 is enought for my RF-82s and would be enough for RC-64, with 85 watts per channel (about 105 in realty).

Those subs are more or less a wash spec and price wise. It will come down to your preference.

As for your H&K, yeah, it will have enough power, but adding an amp would be better. I use my Onkyo TX-nr708 as a hybrid with two mono-blocks powering my RF-82 R/L towers and the receiver powering the center (RC-3), surrounds, and rear towers. I would suggest something similar, but with an amp also powering the center...an Emotiva XPA-3 perhaps. If the H&K has pre-outs, then you are good to go if you feel you need additional power.

If I am you I would have two options

1) No further update and happy with the setup for the next 10 years

buy emotiva sub, RC-62, RS-52 or RB-61 for surround and use your HK to power everything

2) upgrading path within a year or whenever you find a good deal or whatever budget you have to spare

buy first a sub second RC-64 and third RB-81 or RB-61 depend on your money since you don't like dipole. Fourth RF7 or RF83 as front and move your 82 to rear for 7.1 or sell the 82 or the surround back. you can look for use market on here. then I would buy the emotiva xpa series last.

by the way you need inducers (shaker) for your couch to watch movie :) they are awesome

Thank you for your answer. What I'll probably do is to buy a Emotiva 12 during august and try to look for a RC-64 at a reasonable price in Florida when I'll go there in a month. The fact is that my RF-82s are black and that a black RC-64 seams to be a little bit more expensive than the cherry one (1299$ on the Internet....). Depending on the place I'll have, I'll try to find two more RF-82's to put in surround (since RF-7 are pretty expensive here in Canada).

Is the 200 watts per channel on the XPA going to blow off my 150 watts RF-82 ?

Thank you for your answer. What I'll probably do is to buy a Emotiva 12 during august and try to look for a RC-64 at a reasonable price in Florida when I'll go there in a month. The fact is that my RF-82s are black and that a black RC-64 seams to be a little bit more expensive than the cherry one (1299$ on the Internet....). Depending on the place I'll have, I'll try to find two more RF-82's to put in surround (since RF-7 are pretty expensive here in Canada).

Is the 200 watts per channel on the XPA going to blow off my 150 watts RF-82 ?

No. Your ears will explode first.