Finally... La Scalia's local on CL!

holtrp

Got a minute only, so quick response.

If they don't come up often in Alaska, then try hard to make it work. You can't really go wrong if the aesthetics meet your expectations. He's priced way high to what they go for here in the Southeast. $1k here will get you an 8 of 10 or better. I don't know the market there.

I wonder why the driver and diaphram replacements? abused? guess it doesn't matter if that work has been done.

I think those are prior to the AL crossovers, so you should be okay with the crossover type. If they are AL's, I would suggested a change at some point, but not critical. If changing caps alone, it's cheap.

Bring a 9v battery with you to the audition and test each driver individually. It's not easy to see the woofer, so you'll either take his word on the Crites, or open them up.

Sorry so fast....

Tony

http://anchorage.craigslist.org/ele/2501659200.html

Make certain the tweeters are working. Stuff a rag in the squawker or use a carboard tube to isolate the tweeter to confirm output, I agree that the price seems high for anything but the best looking La Scalas in the lower 48. The market in Alaska is another matter.

Some here caution against using even a AA battery (1.5 volts) to test voice coil continuity. I've done it without problems, but I'd never try it with a 9 volt battery.

Why not just use a multi-meter to test continuity?

As for the price, if you consider the cost of shipping a pair from the lower 48, or even from British Columbia (don't expect there are too many La Scalas in the Yukon, but you never know), it's not too bad. Being able to see and test them beats taking a distant seller's word for it.

Asking price for my La Scalas was $1400 back in 2006, here on the Island.

Thanks for the input...

What exactly am I checking for using a AA battery? Just tie it in to the terminals and listen for... what? Humming? Energizer Bunny?

The market is TIGHT up here for any sort of high end audio equipment, as Islander has pointed out. I rarely see quality equipment come up for sale locally. I don't mind buying a $100 pair of bookshelf KG-1's sight unseen from Ebay or down south, but purchasing a set of La Scala, seeing and hearing them before hand is worth at least $100 right there. Add to it FedEx or UPS isn't going to lose them or charge me $300 in shipping, $1500 seems like a fair price.

If he did a good job refinishing them and upgraded (not really sure if the woofer is an 'upgrade') that would have to count for something.

I will keep you guys posted.

Can't demo until next week...

Thanks again for the input.

If you scratch the speaker leads across the ends of a AA battery, you'll hear a thump from the woofers and scratching sounds from the squawkers and tweeters. The test can be done without getting to the individual driver leads. Not so with a multi-meter.

I too have used 9 volts, but not anymore. One AA battery is plenty.

New Crites woofers are an upgrade over old original woofers.

Ok, I'm convinced. Probably not a bad price given your location. :)

The battery will cause the cone or diaphram to move in one direction or the other if you flip the battery. It will sound like someone thumped a finger on the cone. Listen for any sound other than a clean thump. It's an easy way to test each driver independently. Seems like too high a voltage can be dangerous though. I bought two of my LaScala from a guy I met on the interstate at a gas station. It was a way to have some confidence when a demo isn't possible.

Ok, I'm convinced. Probably not a bad price given your location. :)

The battery will cause the cone or diaphram to move in one direction or the other if you flip the battery. It will sound like someone thumped a finger on the cone. Listen for any sound other than a clean thump. It's an easy way to test each driver independently. Seems like too high a voltage can be dangerous though. I bought two of my LaScala from a guy I met on the interstate at a gas station. It was a way to have some confidence when a demo isn't possible.

I too bought two of my La Scalas from a guy I met on the Interstate at a gas station. In my case, the guy was the forum's own Michael Colter and I demo'd the La Scalas by playing Take Five from my laptop. The guy and I then enjoyed lunch in the truck stop diner. Michael ordered meatloaf, I wasn't so brave.

I just re-read the ad. The seller gave his phone number so you can hear them over the phone. Well, that's all you need! Get him to take the phone first to one speaker, then to the other, and if they sound good, make a deal!

I'm joking, of course. I hope they check out well when you go to see them.

One more thing. If you want to check the year of manufacture, take a look at this site:

http://www.progressive-engineering.com/klipsch/klipsch_date_codes.htm