$200 dvd player...

Foost

A friend of mine is looking to buy their first DVD player. I have been looking at the Sony DVP-NS500V and the Hitachi DVP315U. They both seem to fit the budget. My friend has not HT and will be using it with a 4:3 analog tv. I wouldn't expect to see major upgrades any time soon.

any other options? opinions of these two?

Thanks

Here is a link(mabey not active on the board though), to a place that sells refurbished Marantz stuff. I have bought a VC-5200 progressive scan dvd player from them and it was in perfect condition, and sounds wonderful for both dvds and music. Very sharp picture, and thats without progressive scan on. Anyway check em out I think they are some very good dvd players.

http://www.accessories4less.com/advscripts/detailpg.asp?sModnum=MAR-DV-4200&sPrice=229.99

i got the 5-disc version,the 500v is a very nice dvd/cd/r/rw/SACD player,AND the price has dramatically dropped. avman. EDIT: you need a 5.1 channel input on your receiver to make full use of the sacd part of the player.

------------------

1-pair klf 30's

c-7 center

ksps-6 surrounds

RSW-15

sony strda-777ES receiver upgraded to v.2.02 including virtual matrix 6.1

sony playstation 2

sony dvpnc 650-v 5-disc dvd/cd/SACD changer

dishnetwork model 6000 HD sat rcvr w/digital off-air tuner

sony kv36xbr450 high-definition 4:3 tv

sharp xv-z1u lcd projector w/84" 4:3 sharp screen

Bello'international Italian-made a/v furniture

panamax max dbs+5 surge protector/power conditioner

monster cable and nxg interconnects/12 gua.speaker wire

KLIPSCH-So Good It Hz!

This message has been edited by avman on 04-30-2002 at 02:43 PM

Foost,

Of the two players you identified, the Sony DVP-NS500V offers more bang for the buck. It plays the following media; CD-R, CD-RW, SACD, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD, CD, Video CD. Plus it has built-in Audio Decoders for Dolby Digital output & DTS output. Should easily meet their present needs, and should they decide to get an H/T receiver in the future, an immediate upgrade will not be required.

The link below to Cnet shows additional info and an on line price of $179.00.

http://electronics.cnet.com/electronics/0-6342369-1304-7718444.html

Wes

------------------

"KLIPSCH IS MUSIC"f>

This message has been edited by ShapeShifter on 04-30-2002 at 06:59 PM

I've had the NS500V for about a month, and so far I am quite pleased with it. I am using it in a HT setup, so I really don't know how it would perform outside that environment.

Controls are easy to use, picture is great, have had no problem with "hanging" on poorly handled rental videos.

No zoom function though, if thats important.

Maybe it's just me, but, no HT and no HDTV, why pay penny more than you have to for a DVD player. Even the cheapest players will play cd-r and decode MP3 as well as providing adequate picture on a normal television.

If he is trying to start a HT or has plans for an HDTV, then paying for extras, like progressive scan, makes a little more sense.

Just my $.02.

-Scott

------------------

KG-4 Fronts

RC-3 Center

Klipsch Quintet Surrounds

DIY Sub based on Adire Audio Shiva Woofer

Sony DB830

quote:

Originally posted by sseymour:

Maybe it's just me, but, no HT and no HDTV, why pay penny more than you have to for a DVD player.

Their criteria is why I think the Sony is the better bargin of the two identified. Below targeted purchase pricie, plus includes features for future expansion, if they elect to embrace HT down the road.

Wes

------------------

"KLIPSCH IS MUSIC"f>

This message has been edited by ShapeShifter on 05-01-2002 at 09:28 AM