Newbie needs help

GBShade684

So here we are weeks later and a lost receiver somewhere between my home in STL, MO and my old home in Jefferson City, MO. After talking to USPS for the fourth time in a week I ran across someone who may actually help me. Supposed to get a return call, but hopefully now I may get my receiver...just hope it isn't broken when I get it.

Hey Greg, sorry to hear about your receiver being lost in the U.S.P.S. system. I also hope it shows up soon and in working order. fingerscrossed.gif

Keep us posted and think positive thoughts. I know it really dosen't help much, but it may keep you from hurting a US Postal Worker! cussingblack.gif

Dennie

Let's hope that you get your reciver in working condition and not damaged cosmetically. Till then, fingers crossed!

I noticed that, you are not having a sub-woofer. In that case, see if you can do a bi-amping (it's different than bi-wiring). In the case of bi-amping, two seperate amp channels are connected to LS and HS, with link between them MUST be removed. For this, your AVR should have a possibility to run in bi-amp configuration.

btw., welcome to forum and Good Luck!

• Moderators

Keep us posted and remember, we don't believe in Stupid Questions, just stupid people who don't ask questions. So, ask away if you have any!

Well now you tell me, [:(] it's ok I didn't have a problem feeling dumb, I got good advice from all those questions which saved me alot of $ over time. [;)]

Thanks

Got home yesterday and there it was![:D] Got everything hooked up and running last night. A little tinkering here and there. Set the speakers to large but put the Xover @ 50Hz. Haven't really turned it up yet, my wife isn't big on being rattled. [:-*] Somehow managed to cross my wires and hooked up the LF out of phase. So once I got that fixed things sounded pretty good. Funny thing was my wife was complaining about not being able to hear everyone's voices that well. I explained that if we had a center channel then that would play 60%+ of the dialogue. Her exact words were. "Well I guess we should get one of those then." JACKPOT!!![H]

Used them for video games and movies so far. Play radio really well. I need to come and listen to some other peoples systems apparently because I think these sound amazing with everything. Guess I haven't ever heard anything great! Anyway, tried to turn them up playing the game...couldn't take it. Don't think I will have any clipping issues![:D]

• Moderators

Funny thing was my wife was complaining about not being able to hear everyone's voices that well. I explained that if we had a center channel then that would play 60%+ of the dialogue

If you only have the 2 main speakers you should play everything in stereo if not you are not hearing all the voices. For me the choice would be easy, I would get a sub before a center channel, or build one. [Y]

Without a sub and set to large I don't think it makes any difference what you have the crossover set at, the mains will get the full signal anyway, which is what you want in your case .

About what your wife said, if your receiver is set correctly, play something, use a small towel and cover each driver one at a time while you put your ear up to each speaker to check to make sure you don't have a mid or high freq driver not working. It's free and you will know for sure the speakers are fine. I would think it probably the receiver not set correctly, those speakers should have no problem making the voices clear and at the right volume to match everything else.

As far a clipping, in stereo I doubt you ever will clip, unless you try to play at a crazy level at which point your ears will not be happy, and your wife will look like this.........[:@]

Funny thing was my wife was complaining about not being able to hear everyone's voices that well. I explained that if we had a center channel then that would play 60%+ of the dialogue

If you only have the 2 main speakers you should play everything in stereo if not you are not hearing all the voices. For me the choice would be easy, I would get a sub before a center channel, or build one. Yes

Without a sub and set to large I don't think it makes any difference what you have the crossover set at, the mains will get the full signal anyway, which is what you want in your case .

About what your wife said, if your receiver is set correctly, play something, use a small towel and cover each driver one at a time while you put your ear up to each speaker to check to make sure you don't have a mid or high freq driver not working. It's free and you will know for sure the speakers are fine. I would think it probably the receiver not set correctly, those speakers should have no problem making the voices clear and at the right volume to match everything else.

As far a clipping, in stereo I doubt you ever will clip, unless you try to play at a crazy level at which point your ears will not be happy, and your wife will look like this.........Angry

I agree with Dtel, set it to stereo and your next purchase should be a Sub Woofer. Not a little bass box, but a real sub and you'll be thrilled for a long time.

Congratulations Greg, it is fun seeing it come together for you! thumbup.gif

Dennie

• 4 weeks later...

welcome newbie , good choice on the rf82 ive got 62s and lovem. Contrary to popular belief klipsch speakers really benefit from a good power supply.Im running a marantz sr6005 and it sounds great ,dont know what youre budget is but there are some great deals out there. One call is were i got mine also audioadvisor .com is another great source( they can tell you what will work with the 82s) also note that room treatment will also make youre speakers sound better i.e. rugs, shelves with stuff , curtains etc. enjoy