Is a sub necessary

Dandoyen

I agree with psg. The THT should not be right against a wall. In fact it is supposed to be 2' out from a corner, facing the corner.

I've read that you can face them in a corner (which mine is) OR you can put the side against the wall with the mouth firing into the room. The wall will act as an extension of the horn mouth, which is the same thing you're doing when you fire it into a corner.

My current subwoofer is not working right now(waiting for a new replacement AMP to ship from Klipsch), so I currently set my front speakers to large, and I gotta say my speakers gush out some pretty good bass. Of course a subwoofer will always be better, but damm I gotta admit i was impressed. My front speakers are tuned port bass reflex. 15' woofer, with a mid-range, and tweeter. I bought this set back in 1993, and their still going strong. I had the woofers reconed back in 2008. I'm using the speaker system with the Pioneer VSX-33.

Mustang, Where did you get this chart? Just a reading from a dB meter? I am in the market(well will be in about 8 months) for a sub. Never owned one. Just trying to understand the advantages / disadvantages of the different setups. Budget is much smaller, but I like learning about all the good options out there.

Dan I have To new VF-36 towers with synergy center and Icon surrounds Very loud nice base I got a KSW 12 subwwofer off ebay and WHAT a difference not only for music but the movies are amazing!!! I would definately get a sub if youre looking for a deal check ebay or amazon

Take care,

Sam

Mustang, Where did you get this chart? Just a reading from a dB meter? I am in the market(well will be in about 8 months) for a sub. Never owned one. Just trying to understand the advantages / disadvantages of the different setups. Budget is much smaller, but I like learning about all the good options out there.

Here are some ideas in a lesser price range:

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/stf-2.html http://emotiva.com/ultra_sub12.shtm https://svsound.com/products-sub-box-sb12nsd.cfm

• Moderators

Great choice, you will not be sorry.

That is going to be a very impressive room for 2 Ch and HT, well done.

It's going to take a little adjusting to get everything balanced out but it will surprise you in the end. [Y]

My ears were burning and led me right to this thread. Go figure. :)

Wanted to make a few comments about this sub. Mine took about 8 months of tweaking and a learning curve before I got what I expected. Out of the box and with no EQ, it is very raw and unimpressive. Just be aware that an EQ is essential, not an option. I have a list of recommended EQ filters direct from Danley that I'd be happy to post here if you need.

One cabinet will definetely have the output necessary for you room size. One had enough output to be very percussive in the entire 18000cf of basement I have. But the second added a much smoother response in my room. You may or may not have those concerns.

I'm using a Behringer EP4000 to drive both my cabinets. I see no reason to consider more expensive amps for this sub. Mine never clips, even driving two cabinets up into the 130db range. Get the picture. :) It is a loud amp, but I have mine in another room.