New Jubs on the Block

RRFL

Standing applause for you!

How's it feel to know that you are the first person on an entire continent to own something?

Yes

Not to suggest that you have to do this... but if you are open to others knowing where you are and are willing to let them hear them, here's a thread you might want to read & see if you want to be listed. If so, lemme know and I'll update the main post

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/p/144087/1474234.aspx#1474234

[:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D] is an understatement.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not to suggest that you have to do this... but if you are open to others knowing where you are and are willing to let them hear them, here's a thread you might want to read & see if you want to be listed. If so, lemme know and I'll update the main post

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/p/144087/1474234.aspx#1474234

Please include me in the list, my target for completing the work on the house is currently 11 December 2011. This is a picture of the 2 matching Pass Labs X350.5 amps, with sequential serial numbers, [:)], one amp for each Bi-amped jub still in their boxes at the moment, they weight 150lbs each.

post-45280-1381966095883_thumb.jpg

So what I'm saying is; you want a pair so much, you need a pair, so you ought to get a pair. Big Smile

Well said! Hope I can get myself a pair of Jubilees someday. Stick out tongue

When I get my jubs I will most likely Jub my Scalas since my LaScalas are up stairs and the Jubs will be downstairs in the construction zone and after seeing daylight to be measured will go back into their boxes. The potential to be distracted will be a challenge.

Presuming you have access to an active, then one nice thing will be your ability to hear the JubeScala next to the standard LaScala.

Yes that will be very nice and it's going to be so distracting from getting my house finished. I'm leaving the x350.5's in their boxes for the moment taking on the challenge of resisting the temptation to Tri-amp my LaScala since I have 8 amp channels available. While I'm at it I might as well Tri-amp the Heresy, distractions, distractions. I already have pressure from some of my friends who are offering to help me do some experimenting. My excuse is the amps are to heavy to move by myself and they will need 2 weeks to burn in properly anyway.

I have an Allen & Heath iDR8 and I'm going to use this as DSP for my Jubs in a 8 channel in x 8 channel out non expanded configuration. So in the photo that's just the box on the bottom. It is XLR balanced in and out so If I like it with my Pass Labs x350.5 amps and the Jubs then good otherwise DX38 and a surround processor.

The iDR8 stores up to 250 user programmed presets that can be recalled by the front panel controls, remote wall plates or hand held remote and the computer where you can make infinite live changes and comparisons. Presets can also be automated by time 24/7.

The photo shows the back of TWO fully expanded iDR8 systems for a Hotel installation in Sydney set up as 32 channels in x 32 channels out. I used one 16x16 matrix for all the left channels and the other for the right channels synchronized by linked the two systems together via the netgear ethernet router/WiFi access point..

In this setup the Basement bar system is configured as an Active 4 way and the Ground floor Bar as an Active 2 way so in those 2 zones 12 output channels are required. All up there are 8 zones with 13 input choices.

Very nice processor...........and congrats on the Jubs. Lots of channels.............I like lots of channels.

Thanks, I'm looking forward to the Jubs and it's almost any day now that I will get the delivery phone call from the cinema dealer, YES, [:)].

If you like lots of channels you could put yourself right into the lollie shop with the iDR8 system. You can virtually do whatever. You can automate many parts of your house with it for a 24/7 cycle or have your house come to life when you get home and open the garage door. You could set up a 7.1 in each room of the house and then time align them so that as you walked through the house you could realign the entire house to match with your current location in the house using a sensor.

Have you heard any hiss with the iDR8 system? I wouldn't be surprised if you hear something when trying it for an active xover...

(Input to output noise is rated at -87dBu, which is about -98dB relative to 1W (2.83Vrms). With 108dB sensitivity on your speakers and 30dB of gain in your amplifier, the noise floor would be around 40dBspl at 1m. Of course you could always dial back the volume knob on the amplifer...)

Have you heard any hiss with the iDR8 system? I wouldn't be surprised if you hear something when trying it for an active xover...

(Input to output noise is rated at -87dBu, which is about -98dB relative to 1W (2.83Vrms). With 108dB sensitivity on your speakers and 30dB of gain in your amplifier, the noise floor would be around 40dBspl at 1m. Of course you could always dial back the volume knob on the amplifer...)

The only domestic installation I have use the iDR8 in the 8x8 configuration and as an active xover was with the SLS PS8R and the matching 10inch powered subwoofer.

What you have brought up is something I have considered and my plan B is If I don't like it I would consider a DX38 and use the iDR8 else where. So far in all other installations it is successful. My intention is to reduce the number of components in the system. Your input is very welcome and appreciated. Do you have a suggestion on suitable xover? I'm considering using a Furman ELITE-16 PF i or IT-REFERENCE 16E i to improve this aspect of the system. The only part set in stone is the Jubs the X350.5's and most likely the OPPO BDP-95.

I use an Ashly Protea 4.8SP for my MCM-3 Grand system. Love it. Very clean sound, a very analog sounding unit............easy to use. Has been perfectly reliable since day 1.

Thank you for your recommendation it's an excellent product and would work for me with the potential to later include Titan 48 centre of the jubs. How long have you had it and how much did it cost?

I had the Ashly Protea probably a little over a year now. It offers such easy control it's my favorite component in my system. I paid around $1,200.00 USD. It has turned out to be perfect for the system I'm running.

I saw the price on the unit you have been using. That's quite a lot of capability as well as price. ;)

Edit: I think I bought it in Feb 2010..............so about a year and a half. Honestly, I don't remember exactly and I'm at work without documentation. I assume you asked to understand "reliability". Not so much as a glitch or any other funny behavior. I have not lost any settings, and the unit has been rock solid in every way. I usually turn things on Friday afternoon and off on Sunday night.

I had the Ashly Protea probably a little over a year now. It offers such easy control it's my favorite component in my system. I paid around $1,200.00 USD. It has turned out to be perfect for the system I'm running.

I saw the price on the unit you have been using. That's quite a lot of capability as well as price. ;)

Edit: I think I bought it in Feb 2010..............so about a year and a half. Honestly, I don't remember exactly and I'm at work without documentation. I assume you asked to understand "reliability". Not so much as a glitch or any other funny behavior. I have not lost any settings, and the unit has been rock solid in every way. I usually turn things on Friday afternoon and off on Sunday night.

I can see you are very happy with your Ashly. I was also looking at the NE8800 which is similar to the iDR8 but might have a slightly higher spec than the iDR8. I have found the only way to know how under or over the spec a product is, is by testing it or from the experience of other users. I would expect the NE8800 is suitable for my minimalist approach where I'm looking to avoid getting an Integra DHC-80.2 plus a crossover so as to simplify the signal path from the OPPO BDP-95 player to the speakers as much as possible and the NE8800 might be a better choice than the iDR8. Thanks for your comments they have been very valuable to me.

Ashly had an NE4800 with XLR connectors and front panel controls that worked with its Protea PC software tools. That was my "dream" processor as it had better EQ filtering, better processors, better everything really, and I suspect better sound as it cost around $4K. But then the NE line went to all Euro connectors (which I see the iDR8 uses) and network operation...........and the unit I was interested in disappeared late last year in favor of all this Euro networked stuff.

I am happy with what I have but this programmable active system has almost put me out of the hobby entirely. It took a long time to acquire all the requipment but I have everything setup and there is almost nothing to do but listened to music.

Over the weekend last week I took some room measurements of individual horns to balance all my channels. When I compared to what I had 7 months prior the curves were on top of one another..........nothing had changed, nothing to adjust. It's gotten boring. :)

Ashly had an NE4800 with XLR connectors and front panel controls that worked with its Protea PC software tools. That was my "dream" processor as it had better EQ filtering, better processors, better everything really, and I suspect better sound as it cost around $4K. But then the NE line went to all Euro connectors (which I see the iDR8 uses) and network operation...........and the unit I was interested in disappeared late last year in favor of all this Euro networked stuff.

I am happy with what I have but this programmable active system has almost put me out of the hobby entirely. It took a long time to acquire all the requipment but I have everything setup and there is almost nothing to do but listened to music.

Over the weekend last week I took some room measurements of individual horns to balance all my channels. When I compared to what I had 7 months prior the curves were on top of one another..........nothing had changed, nothing to adjust. It's gotten boring. :)

My iDR8 has XLR connectors but is available in the Euroblock. The Euroblock is quicker and less expensive for permanent installations where custom cables are required. The NE8800 appeals to me as I want to go to the speakers as direct as possible from the OPPO BDP-95 with it's 8 audio outputs and remix into 4 channels Left, Right and Rear Left, Right. A processor that does this and includes EQ, delay and crossover with balanced outputs. My target is to set and forget with maximum real reproduction. I also want the space to change my mind in the future, maybe 1 titan 48 centre, TAD4002's. The NE8800 could provide this and maintain the minimalist signal path. Each device adds distortion but if I have to get a Integra plus xover then well at least I gave it a shot. I really like how your system has gotten boring. That's what I want. Of course, you could every now and then save then erase everything and start from nothing, because you can tweak if your want to. The option to wake up in the middle of the night from a dream and change something, is always nice to have.

BTW I went over to the Cinema distributors today to see my packaged jubs as they were concerned about "how was I going to get them off the pallets when they were delivered". I took both the hf's home with me just getting them in the car. I have 3 friends who will help me get them up my 20 stairs. I laid the boxed hf's on the polished stairs and pushed them up and that might be the best way to get the lf's up with 2 people pushing and 1 pulling. That way they can't drop if someone slips.

My opinion is, as long as you have two strong backs, you can carry them anywhere.

It's not so much that they are heavy but rather, so darn bulky and awkward to hold.

Who came up with this weird shape anyway..... Stick out tongue

haha, they weigh 81kilo I way 90kilo so I reckon slide them up the 20 stairs and then go get some Baa Baa Burgers from Grilled burgers to celebrate or maybe the Moroccan Lamb. I'm always looking for a reason to go there.

I'm glad I went to check out my jubs at the distributor as I'm not sure the 402's in their cardboard boxes plastic wrapped together on their sides would have lasted the weekend with one of the jubs on it's palette sitting on top. The 402's are certainly strong. The storeman is a wonderful person but did not have any idea of what was actually inside the boxes other than speakers. I expect he thinks all speakers are boxes. I'm going to send him a photo so he knows for next time.

I know I should not be tempted to start JubScalaing and get the house finished but what frequency would you suggest to cross over the K33 in the LaScala with the K69 in the 402. what is the highest usable frequency from the LaScala basshorn. I saw your impressive icon on Audiokarma, another one of those add to the faith contributions. I want to test the 402's with the iDR8 to see if it's going to work for me or will I be better of trying a Ashly or adding a DX38 to the iDR8. My target is minimal signal path minimal devices in the path.

I'm going to make a matching weird shape from plywood for the 402's.[:P]

The stairs in photo. Directly above the door is the corner where the right Jub will sit and on the floor above that the right LaScala.

I still have another 2 pairs of Klipsch suitable corners in my house. I bought my house to match my LaScala, [:)] I searched for 18months and this house had 4 pairs of corners.

post-45280-13819661284704_thumb.jpg