Emotiva XPA-5 hook up question

robc1976

I am about to purchase a Emotiva XPA-5 (Link below if needed) and have a couple of questions for people who own theses, on my recievers pre-outs (Denon AVR-4311Ci) I have 2 otputs (red & white) that would go to the Emotiva XPA-5 but the XPA-5 only has 1 input??? Who does it get the signal if there is only one?? Do I just use i output on the 4311Ci?? Also the channels are labeled on the XPA-5 FR, FL, RS,LS does it matter what speakers I hook up because I am getting this to put power to my Center (RC-64II), fronts (RF-82II) & wides (RF-82II) and want to make sure they get the correct signal. I have never used a external amp but think it is about time to do it LOL!!

Emotiva XPA-5:

http://emotiva.com/xpa5.shtm

Emotiva Audio cables I am using 2nd ones down on the list:

http://emotiva.com/interconnects.shtm

Guest davidness

Yes, the Denon Pre-outs are confusing (Right channels are always Red). Ignore the colors and simply go by the labels. Each speaker is on one RCA cable (which has two wires inside for signal and ground):

On the second question, I believe there is no difference in the 5 amps in the XPA-5. I never noticed any labels on mine, but just hook up on speaker channel to each one; they're all the same.

post-38614-13819661236724_thumb.png

The RCAs in to the amp need to match the speaker that is hooked up to the amp. It doesn't matter which input you use in the amp, but the input needs to match the speaker that it is driving.

So basically Fr from my denon has to match Fr into the XPA-5??? If so I can't use this amp because I have no intentions of doing my surrounds with this amp and there is no label for "front wides" on the XPA-5. I run Audyssey DSX.

Yes, the Denon Pre-outs are confusing (Right channels are always Red). Ignore the colors and simply go by the labels. Each speaker is on one RCA cable (which has two wires inside for signal and ground):

On the second question, I believe there is no difference in the 5 amps in the XPA-5. I never noticed any labels on mine, but just hook up on speaker channel to each one; they're all the same.

That was my problem LOL!! I thpought each speaker had a red/white RCA....it is only "1" no this makes sense...thanks for the pic also!

Whatever RCA you have plugged into the bottom hole on the amp needs to match the speaker wire that is hooked up above it. So if you want to run the front (2), the wides (2), and the center (1) off the amp, you certainly can do that...

Oh!! I totally misundersood you...I thought you meant "Had to match the label"

Some people are saying since klipsch is so efficent that I would see no benefeit from this amp and my denon has more than enough power. I kinda disagree with this since for EX. My denon 4311Ci is rated at 140 watts per channel....but when they rate these amps I believe they rate them with 2-channel so it is way lower than if you are using 9.2 off the reciever. so for EX. In a movie There is a sudden explosion and the speakers need instant power...wouldn't this amp have so much headroom that it could do this easily? I would think there would be a difference in sound?

any opinions on this?

Some people are saying since klipsch is so efficent that I would see no benefeit from this amp and my denon has more than enough power. I kinda disagree with this since for EX. My denon 4311Ci is rated at 140 watts per channel....but when they rate these amps I believe they rate them with 2-channel so it is way lower than if you are using 9.2 off the reciever. so for EX. In a movie There is a sudden explosion and the speakers need instant power...wouldn't this amp have so much headroom that it could do this easily? I would think there would be a difference in sound?

any opinions on this?

hook it up and find out ...much about audio is very subjective and very dependent on the components and environment. test it all out and see if there's a difference. if there is, determine if it's enough to warrant the new setup or not. :)

^^Agreed. One of the members has a small room and didn't really notice the difference when he bought an external amp, so you really need to consider the room size. I have a very large room and my amp makes all the difference.

My room is 25 X 25]

IMO that is a very large room and you would see a lot of benefits from an external amp, I would stick to 200wpc to ensure that you have the headroom that you need.[Y]

Not that I believe it matters but the XPA-5 does label the channel inputs with center front left front right ect.

What year is yours? mine just says 1, 2, 3, 4, 5.

curious as to what order they are in.

I wired mine so the L and R are on opposite sides and center in the middle, then sides are 2 and 4. Just for order and I thought it might help with heat, not that it ever gets hot.

I wired mine so the L and R are on opposite sides and center in the middle,

This is also how I wire mine.

My XPA-5 is used only for surrounds and center so looking from the front the far left is L rear, then L side, Center, R side, then R rear.

My XPA-2 has L front and R front.

This makes it easy to keep track of which channel is which and which led is which.

Judy looked again. It does have only numbers 1-5 for channels. But channel 1 is alone, channels 2-3 are grouped together, and channels 4-5 are grouped together. Again I font think it matter but that's how it's set up. Just like the picture above. U can see the white line above the speaker posts designating grouping

Judy looked again. It does have only numbers 1-5 for channels. But channel 1 is alone, channels 2-3 are grouped together, and channels 4-5 are grouped together. Again I font think it matter but that's how it's set up. U can see the groupings on emo's website

Grouped together? They are all evenly spaced 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Edit: I think I see what you mean, actually CH 5 is separately mounted where 1&2 and 2&3 are together as far as the screw on plates which attach the speaker wire post terminals