RF-7 II Bi-Amp'ed vs RB-81 II with low and high fronts

Utard

I am looking to set up a new home theater. I have had a late 80's pioneer 5.1 and advent legacy set up. I have really enjoyed this over the years. I am looking at a pioneer elite 9.1 receiver. I am trying to figure out the front speakers to go with this. This receiver can do either a bi-amp or high speakers for the front. I do not have the room to do the 7's and the high speakers (unless it is the boom diggity then we will see) My question is for anyone that has done either option. Either use the RF-7 II bi-amp'ed (at $2400 a pair) VS using 4 of the RB-81 II (at $1700 for 4) putting one for left on the floor one right on floor and one high left and high right at the ceiling. Would using a sub make up for the smaller speakers in the 81's? I have never used a sub before. Has anyone tried the second option? Does it work? Whats any ones opinion on this? I have read some people say if you use the height speaker option on the front you do not need the rear surrounds. This I can not believe. With either option I will be using the rear surrounds and side surrounds. I have been using rear surrounds for years can not even fathom how a front speaker can replace the sounds that come out of the rears sometimes (like a noise that makes you turn your head in your own home:) I plan on using this for 50% tv, 20% movies, 10% games and 20% music. On another note I can not find a location in SLC, UT that has the 7's to listen to. I did listen to the RF-82 II or RF-62 II not sure which it was. But I was not all that impressed at comparing them to my Advent Legacy speakers. I have read that the 7's are lot better than the 82 or 62? I am also fairly stuck on using a pioneer receiver. I have a VSX-5700s that is about 20 years old and have never had a problem with it. Any suggestions on this setup would be greatly appreciated.

As a second question on subs? What about one 15" VS two 10" subs?

My question is for anyone that has done either option. Either use the RF-7 II bi-amp'ed (at $2400 a pair) VS using 4 of the RB-81 II (at $1700 for 4) putting one for left on the floor one right on floor and one high left and high right at the ceiling. Would using a sub make up for the smaller speakers in the 81's?.

...On another note I can not find a location in SLC, UT that has the 7's to listen to. I did listen to the RF-82 II or RF-62 II not sure which it was. But I was not all that impressed at comparing them to my Advent Legacy speakers. I have read that the 7's are lot better than the 82 or 62?

Welcome to the Forum, Utard.

I think the RF-7s are alot better than the RF-82s/62s, but if you didn't like the lower-end Reference, I wouldn't recommend getting the RF-7s without hearing them first. Fwiw, the RB-81s use a similar tweeter as in the Reference speakers you auditioned, whereas the RF-7s uses a larger compression driver along with larger LF drivers. Regardless, I would take the RF-7iis/RC-64ii up front verses 4 RB-81s and still get a sub.

EDIT: I also wouldn't worry about bi-amping the RF-7s with an AVR.

I committed to the RF-7ii's unheard. I have ZERO regrets!!! They are amazing. Get the RF-7ii's and add heights or wides later.

FWIW, I auditioned RF-82ii's, RC-62ii's and RS-52ii's at the main hifi store here...wasn't impressed. But, I don't think it was the speakers. I think it was a combination of a cluttered room full of other speakers and an OK receiver. Only time I've been impressed by an audition in a retail store was when the room was dedicated to one system or in a theater setup.

I will second the welcome, but will also second the suggestion of not buying them if you didn't like what you heard the first time. Placement, amp, processor, and source material will all add/detract from the experience, but you need to test that first, otherwise, you may end up wasting money.

The 81s will sound just like the 82s, just not as deep. If you do get 81s, you will want them on a stand, so add $200.00 to your price. I wouldn't ever put bookshelves on the floor. A sub is a must have with the 81s.

The 7s have a real wood veneer, larger tweeter and drivers. They will sound different, but will maintain the same character/personallity as the lower end Reference speakers. I would also skip the bi-amping.

The RC-64 center channel that matches (in timbre and aesthetics) the RF-7s is a great speaker and I would highly recommend it for anything HT related. That is definately the way I would go if you can swing it financially.

Add a good sub and RB-81s as heights later if everything works out. I know you said you didn't "have room for 7s and heights" but, the 7s are only 4 foot tall. You are talking about ceiling mounting. Unless you live in a smurf house, you can swing it!

I committed to the RF-7ii's unheard. I have ZERO regrets!!! They are amazing. Get the RF-7ii's and add heights or wides later.

FWIW, I auditioned RF-82ii's, RC-62ii's and RS-52ii's at the main hifi store here...wasn't impressed. But, I don't think it was the speakers. I think it was a combination of a cluttered room full of other speakers and an OK receiver. Only time I've been impressed by an audition in a retail store was when the room was dedicated to one system or in a theater setup.

You guys must be a new breed....If I didn't like what I heard in the lower Klipsch Reference models, I wouldn't go home and order their top of the line off the internet...In fact, that would be the LAST thing I would do. [:|]

That being said, I've only read a few RF-7 auditioners post regrets and I've done my share of giving them good reviews. [;)]

The 82's and 62's I heard did sound better than the Polks they had hooked up. But they still sounded small to me. Maybe I am just used to a speaker with a larger wolfer? My brother in-law had a pair of the hersey (I think they had 12"?) they always sounded good and I have had the advent legacy with 10". I not only like to hear the music I like to feel it. That is why I was thinking the 7's for the duel 10"s. Plus I can not stand distortion and I know Klipsch are suppose to have very little of that. I have left messages with a Klipsch sales rep Alvin to find someone that carries them in SLC, UT but he is either out of town or does not want to talk to me? I would have a hard time paying the price for these without being able to hear them.

.. I not only like to hear the music I like to feel it. That is why I was thinking the 7's for the duel 10"s. Plus I can not stand distortion and I know Klipsch are suppose to have very little of that. ...I would have a hard time paying the price for these without being able to hear them.

I'm with you andI can't imagine spending that kind of money without auditioning them first...Then again, you could trust my opinion because I have done more than my share of auditioning and concur with Beechnut. [H]

The thing with auditioning systems for music in retail stores, is source and the settings on the receiver they use. So, for source, bring a few CDs with tracks you are very familiar with to run them. As to the AVR they use, make sure it's set to play music in the best light.

My RF-7ii's don't sound near as good through my Onkyo if the Onkyo isn't set to pure music. And, standard MP3s don't make them hit near as hard as going with using a CD as a source. MP3s compress the signal, just like some listening modes on AVRs limit the frequencies output.

Also, going to get a sub with my system when money is saved up. but, the RF-7ii's can vibrate the freq'n walls when I fire up the scene in Inception (bout 27 min in) when Decaprio and that girl are sitting outside the cafe and things start getting "shook up".

RS3's a good. Compromise till I get my sub and then I'll get my 62s. Scored an awesome deal on them off craigslist and can get the same amount out of them when it's time to get the 62s. They lack in ability to fill my living room that spills into hallways and kitchen. Bet the 62s amped up can do it.

How do you like the RS3's for the surrounds? It seemed to me a little speaker like should do just fine for the surround.

If you get the 7s, you need to get an RC-64 II. Phenomenol speaker! Then get a good sub, then the RS-62 IIs. That's the system to have.

You mentioned Heresey's "hitting you." There's no reason 2 X 8" woofers in the RF-82 II wouldn't be better in that regard. They go much deeper. Klipsch speakers have a paticular sound that not everyone likes, but the Reference series is known to go paticularly deep. I'd be suprised if there was any pair out there listed for less than $1200.00 (cost of 2 RF-82 IIs) that can go as deep and as loud. I wouldn't recommend against RF-7 IIs, but if/when you do audition them, give the 82s another go with a decent set-up.

I am looking to set up a new home theater..... I have never used a sub before. ....With either option I will be using the rear surrounds and side surrounds?

I am with you...Do you listen to multichannel music or watch mostly movies? In either case a good sub will add a great deal.

How do you like the RS3's for the surrounds? It seemed to me a little speaker like should do just fine for the surround.

They don't have the presence as the RS-7s in a larger room, but in a smaller room if you adjust the gain (on the AVR) should work fine for movies.

Well it makes a difference to listen to properly set up speakers. I went back today and noticed

that the first RF-82 II's I listened to where hooked up wrong. Sounded like they has the polarity wrong?

Thats why they sounded like they had no bass. Found some in their theater hooked up correct

and they did sound very good.