Best Subwoofer for the money...

neo33

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As for EQ, the cheapest way in a standalone solution is the miniDSP, but you can't use standalone EQ without measuring.

They're less than a BFD?

Opps, you're right. The cheapest is the Behringer DSP1024P at around $100 (but you might need to deal with the balanced inputs and outputs) versus the miniDSP at $160 incl. shipping. But the 1024P won't let you implement a high-pass below 20 Hz and the miniDSP is more versatile.

FWIW, the Empire does already have significant filtering below 20Hz, as indicated by Ricci's measurements showing a ~30dB/octave acoustic rolloff from 20Hz on down.

I think psg was referring to the need for a filter on some of the horn loaded subs (DIY and kit).

Right, to avoid feeding a low-frequency signal below the horn cutoff.

So IBs don't 'em? Sweet!

So IBs don't 'em? Sweet!

Hey Pete,

Subwoofer high pass filters are most commonly found on vented subs. As you probably know, below tuning the driver of a vented sub is totally unloaded (it acts like it is in free air) and the port contribution is zero. As such, going below tuning in this case hugely increases the load on the driver. While a vented sub usually rolls off at 24dB/octave below tuning, a limiter goes a long ways to keeping it out of trouble.

On the other hand when an IB (or sealed sub) goes below tuning, the load increases only incrementally, and the driver becomes less sensitive (12dB/octave rolloff typically). While it's still possible to overdrive an IB/sealed sub, it's much harder than with a vented sub, and usually you run into amplifier limitiations first.

That said, an IB sub can still potentially benefit from a high pass filter; less power and excursion is wasted trying to come up with frequencies that the system isn't going to reproduce with significant output anyway.

That said, an IB sub can still potentially benefit from a high pass filter; less power and excursion is wasted trying to come up with frequencies that the system isn't going to reproduce with significant output anyway.

I haven't found many frequencies that are on watefall plots that the IB won't do. I sit about 14 ft. from the drivers and I've gotten 110 dB (corrected) @ 10Hz, and that's in a room with 3 open doors and a 12' peaked ceiling.