Audyssey settings

Rippyman

I have a Marantz SR7005 running a 7.2 setup. My L/R mains are Klipsch RF7-II's,
RC-64 II Center Speaker, RS-62 II Surround Speaker's & CDT 5650-C rear's. I'm running two 12" subs.

I ran the Audyssey setup using all 8 reference points, and it set my speakers to the following.

L/R mains to large - Full Dynamic Range
Center - Small 60HZ
L/R surrounds - Small 60HZ
L/R rears - Small 90HZ
SUB - not sure, doesn't display. But I set the reciever to LFE 80Z

All Speakers were set to small originally, and after running Audyssey theses were the settings?

Is this correct?

Yes..... Some will tell u to set your speakers to 80hz and let the sub handle below that. I do not subscribe to that. There is no way I would set giant speakers with 2 10 inch woofers to 80hz! If u have full range speakers than why not use them? As long as you are providing them enough power it should add a fuller deeper sound. But it's also personal preference so change up your settings manually and use what sounds best to you. BTW my rc64ii is set to 40hz and I love it.

There are many technical reasons not to set your mains to large. For starters, RF-7II's are not full range speakers, ie they do not extend all the way down to 20Hz. Second, the version of you have Audyssey applies vastly higher resolution filters for the subwoofer than it does your main speakers, so by setting them to large, you waste much of Audyssey's potential to correct room issues. Third, if you've got subwoofers of comparable quality to the RF-7s, such as SVS Ultras or comparable, it is likely that they will produce bass with lower distortion than the RF-7s in the 20-50Hz band. However, it all comes down to what you want to hear. I'd recommend at least experimenting with 40, 60, and 80Hz crossovers to see if you hear much difference, and see if you have a preference.

PS: Low pass of the LFE channel should be set to 120Hz. This is not the same as the crossover from the other channels to the subwoofer, and is only relevant to the LFE channel. Material up to 120Hz (but not past) can be encoded on this channel, and if the filter is set at 80Hz, that is potential sound thrown away.

Thanks guys.

I ended up playing around with things and changed my L/R mains back to small and set them at 60HZ

I upped the center and surrounds to 80HZ and left the rear surrounds at 90HZ

What I haven't done yet is change the LFE to 120HZ, it's still sitting at 80HZ.

I tried switching back and forth from Small to Large for the L/R mains to hear the difference and you can definitely hear the sound fill up when the mains are set to small.

Yes..... Some will tell u to set your speakers to 80hz and let the sub handle bellow that...

Yes and those that will are the most knowledgeable people in the business: http://www.audyssey.com/blog/2009/05/small-vs-large/

All that blog talks about is "small vs large" settings.... not specific hz levels. My mains are set to 40 hz and center to 60 hz. I also turn audyssey off after I run it because it gives weird DB gains to my LFE at odd levels. Alex from eD was the first to advise me to turn it off. At first I thought he was crazy.... and I hate to admit he was right about something but he was. My bass is smoothed out now and My main are set to take full advantage of the 10 inch woofers.

Yes I definitely recommend all your speakers set to small, for the RF-7's probably somewhere between 40 -60 hz I feel would be best.

I have RF-5 fronts set at 60 hz, RC-7 center set at 60 hz and my four RS-3 surrounds set at 70 hz. LFE set to 120 hz on my processor with the subs crossover set to LFE mode (subs crossover OFF).

These settings are my personal preference for my system after a lot of experimenting, I encourage you to experiment and learn what sounds best to you on your own system. Listen to peoples recommendations and what they prefer, to give you ideas, but always compare differences on your own system.

Personally I run Audyssey (usually a few times until I feel happy with its results). But after running Audyssey I always make manual changes to correct the crossover settings to my preference and I also reset my speaker volume levels using my own SPL meter which gives much better results than the Audyssey's. After I have done these changes things really sound good with an HT that is very natural sounding and well balanced.

Yes..... Some will tell u to set your speakers to 80hz and let the sub handle below that. I do not subscribe to that. There is no way I would set giant speakers with 2 10 inch woofers to 80hz! If u have full range speakers than why not use them? As long as you are providing them enough power it should add a fuller deeper sound. But it's also personal preference so change up your settings manually and use what sounds best to you. BTW my rc64ii is set to 40hz and I love it.

Agree with this in concept...Although, I have set my RC-64 II to 60hz as the lower end range is 59hz per Klipsch site...

FREQUENCY RESPONSE: 59Hz-24KHz ± 3dB

Ref: http://www.klipsch.com/rc-64-ii-center-speaker

Yes..... Some will tell u to set your speakers to 80hz and let the sub handle bellow that...

Yes and those that will are the most knowledgeable people in the business: http://www.audyssey.com/blog/2009/05/small-vs-large/

All that blog talks about is "small vs large" settings.... not specific hz levels. My mains are set to 40 hz and center to 60 hz. I also turn audyssey off after I run it because it gives weird DB gains to my LFE at odd levels. Alex from eD was the first to advise me to turn it off. At first I thought he was crazy.... and I hate to admit he was right about something but he was. My bass is smoothed out now and My main are set to take full advantage of the 10 inch woofers.

@ Jason, in one post you said that RC-64 II is set at 40hz and the one above you are saying that "center to 60 hz"...Which one is correct?