Surround question

JasonJCarney

Well as I have found through trial and error.... the best part of having a small room is you can get away with smaller subs and less power and it will still sound good.... = less$$$

You have much more power than I do thats for sure, after looking at those pic's again, do you really need the rears or do you just want to try it. It does not look like it needs them.

need? no. want? yes.

I already run a Klipsch HD300 as my sixth channel. So I'm really just replacing that with something. It's the only speaker that runs off the Onkyo. I was testing my new subs the other day and I powered off the xpa-5 so I would just hear the subs. All of a sudden I heard a crash/bang/boom/screach! It was my little HD300 6th channel. I forgot I was using the onkyo to power it and since it hadn't made any noise for the first couple minutes I didn't realize it was on. It was quiet except the subs and I was just listening to that deep boom from the subs and then BAM that little 80hz bastard hit me! lol..... since then I have really wanted to get a decent speaker in that spot. Even if I don't hear it very often.

This is going to sound nuts but I have heard it and it works well.

On the floor behind the couch pointing up, it really gives you a sound that is not directly in your ear and really spread out. For rears it works well because the sound is dispersed and not at all directional, just what you want for effects sounds behind you. That was kind of the idea behind WDST, to make it not a pinpoint sound.

I tried this today and wow, I think I prefer this over mounting it on the side walls. Thank you for the suggestion!

• Moderators

I tried this today and wow, I think I prefer this over mounting it on the side walls. Thank you for the suggestion!

Glad it worked for you, I had seen it done where there was no room behind the sofa and the side walls were close also, it worked pretty good.

If you stick with the bookshelves or center, they should be able to mount inside your cabinet with the front being flush with the wall. For an RS-42, the back would need to be flush on the wall, so the dipole dispersion could act properly. If it were tucked inside the cabinet...it wouldn't do what it is designed to do.

I had the rs-52 on stands and they sounded awesome imo. I never read that they needed to be against the wall (not saying they don’t just asking). Where did you hear that?

I have my RS3s on stands right now and I didn't get near the satisfaction with them pulled away from the wall in open air, compared to them still on a stand, but pressed up against the wall. The reflections filled the room so much better when they were close to flush with the wall.

Have you tried both ways?

It wasn't anything I had heard said, seemed the design of the speakers used the walls as part of it's design. If it's tucked in the cabinet, the speakers projection would hit the sides of the cabinet instead of fill the room.

I had them on the walls and on stands. In my last place I had them on the side walls then flipped the whole set up to get the system off the connecting wall of my apartment. One side opened up to the kitchen so I couldn’t hang it. So I put them on stands. The speakers were still able to bounce off walls and sounded great, and imo I didn’t lose anything but they did still have walls to bounce off so if yours are set up where they can’t then that would probably not be as good. When I moved into my house I put them on the walls again then upgraded to the 62s but I still feel the 52 sounded amazing on stands. As long as there are walls close enough to the drivers. Which in Jason’s room I believe there is. But if you put them on stands behind your couch with no walls nearby that probably not be that great.

Here is what I was talking about. I moved them forward into open space because I was concerned of loosing the sound down the hallway...and it put the speaker 8 more ft from my LP than my other surround. Didn't work out as well as when I backed it up to the wall, reran Audyssey, and gave it a listen. Audyssey compensated for the distance and it didn't seem to be a problem with some of the sound going down the hallway. It filled the room even more with the back up against the wall.

Surround1.jpgSurround1.jpg

Surround2.jpgSurround2.jpg

I would just pop one or two RB's behind you. You can avoid the in-wall speaker AND still have that flush mount look/sound. I'm surprised people still recommend RS's in that space. I've heard his setup as presently constituted and I don't believe for a second that RS's would sound better in there compared to comparably sized RB's.
I 100% agree with that, I dont care for bipoles at all...just my opinion though...everyone has different ears. I prefer direct fire RB

This is going to sound nuts but I have heard it and it works well.

On the floor behind the couch pointing up, it really gives you a sound that is not directly in your ear and really spread out. For rears it works well because the sound is dispersed and not at all directional, just what you want for effects sounds behind you. That was kind of the idea behind WDST, to make it not a pinpoint sound.

Such a wealth of useful information you are.

I'm considering mounting my Heresy upside down, back to back, centre back of the room just in front of the stairs so they are pointing at the sides of the room and will be out of the way. The high frequency sound will the reflect back off the side walls to the listeners while the bass radiates from the one central location. The ceiling battens are 3 meters above the floor.

This clears the space directly above the stairs on the right of the photo of a floating rear surround speaker. The landing and flight of stairs leading to the floor will be removed and replaced with a 90 degree 3 stair bend with 2 stairs to the floor. The lounge will be in the space where the lower flight of stair is now.

What thoughts do you have on this possibility?

post-45280-13819662405834_thumb.jpg

Ok so I have the rf7ii front stage. I'm using rb51ii or rb41ii's as side surrounds. The real question is what to use as rear surrounds. My couch is up against my rear wall. I have a cabinet right behind my seating position. This cabinet is where the 6th/7th channel(s) is/are going. Choice 1 is 2 rb51ii's/41ii's. Choice 2 is 1 or 2 rs41ii 's. Choice 3 is a single rs42 or rs52. Choice 4 is an rc42. Not saying price doesn't matter but more important is how the speaker(s) will sound based on it basically being directly behind my head (like 1-2 feet away Max). Any other ideas are welcome. Size is an issue, that's why I chose these smaller cabinet speakers.

How about L/R Ceiling Speakers as 'Surround Back Channel'. That way one they will be 7-9 feet away from your listening position as well as NOT in your way. Just and idea....

Good luck....

Ok so I have the rf7ii front stage. I'm using rb51ii or rb41ii's as side surrounds. The real question is what to use as rear surrounds. My couch is up against my rear wall. I have a cabinet right behind my seating position. This cabinet is where the 6th/7th channel(s) is/are going. Choice 1 is 2 rb51ii's/41ii's. Choice 2 is 1 or 2 rs41ii 's. Choice 3 is a single rs42 or rs52. Choice 4 is an rc42. Not saying price doesn't matter but more important is how the speaker(s) will sound based on it basically being directly behind my head (like 1-2 feet away Max). Any other ideas are welcome. Size is an issue, that's why I chose these smaller cabinet speakers.

How about L/R Ceiling Speakers as 'Surround Back Channel'. That way one they will be 7-9 feet away from your listening position as well as NOT in your way. Just and idea....

Good luck....

You might know already but, forgot to mention that Klipsch has some ceiling speakers where one can change the tweeter and woofer position as well...